The "power" of the German dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

The "power" of the German dub

Post by Tian » Tue May 07, 2024 3:39 pm

Over the years and in different parts of the internet, I've read countless stories about people from non-German speaking countries who were introduced to this franchise through the German dub.

A similar phenomenon happened with the Italian dub but it wasn't as widely available around Europe as the German dub was.

Many of those stories start the same way:
You're a kid from X country which didn't have the luck to have Dragon Ball localized or had the bad luck to have an awful localization, you get home from school and tune in Dragon Ball on RTL II, and even though you don't understand German, you enjoy it anyway.

You can read stories like this from people from countries like Bulgaria, Czechia, Latvia, Kosovo, Romania and Slovenia.

People that still fondly remember the times where they challenged the language barrier and time zone differences to watch their favourite anime. Some of them even learned German from that experience.

What a great "power", don't you think?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: The "power" of the German dub

Post by TheRed259 » Tue May 07, 2024 5:11 pm

Interesting, although I think the most important (and not only for Europe) of the European dubbings was the French one for many different reasons, no matter how problematic it was.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue May 07, 2024 5:23 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:11 pm Interesting, although I think the most important (and not only for Europe) of the European dubbings was the French one for many different reasons, no matter how problematic it was.
Yeah, while it screwed many of the localizations in Europe because of its use as source, many African fans got to know the series thanks to the French dub, whether by a local channel or an international channel in a cable & satellite provider like Mangas or GameOne.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue May 07, 2024 6:28 pm

Tian wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:39 pm You're a kid from X country which didn't have the luck to have Dragon Ball localized or had the bad luck to have an awful localization, you get home from school and tune in Dragon Ball on RTL II, and even though you don't understand German, you enjoy it anyway.
Yeah, and as we discussed in DMs when the Kosovar channel (Kohavision) that aired Dragon Ball it appears they had neighbouring territories in mind, likely because they knew as a mainland European state they would face competition from larger established channels, like RTL II. For those who want to learn more check out page 15:

“The use of satellite depends on payment to several satellite operators from outside Kosovo, based on a profitable return and a growing audience among the diaspora. It appears that customer figures are growing, although some fees have been deferred while this process is taking place. The threat to this means of transmission is simply economic. If the customer base grows, then the two stations can pay for the service".

Kohavision received the terrestrial service for free up until 2004 when Dragon Ball was seemingly removed from their schedule. Sadly it doesn't seem like the series helped them much. According to pages 28-29 here the assessment team was advising donor money be redirected more towards informational programming or original content, as they seen foreign programming as being too dominant.

Granted this has nothing to do with the German dub, but it is interesting that some Kosovar Redditers told me they preferred watching Dragon Ball with the German dub and the one Kosovar I know of who posted here said many people had satellite and rarely used national channels for cartoons. I guess Kohavision realized kids TV was just not the business for them.
TheRed259 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:11 pm Interesting, although I think the most important (and not only for Europe) of the European dubbings was the French one for many different reasons, no matter how problematic it was.
What about the Greek dub? I believe other than the Junior TV Italian dub it the earliest dub of original Dragon Ball (and to a lesser extent Z, which mixes in elements of the Latin American and French dubs) to be based on the Japanese version.

Seemingly a few years after the Greek dub aired on ANT1 Slovenia aired a voiceover of the Japanese version for original Dragon Ball and early Z on Pop TV in the late 90s and then in the early 2000s Croatia followed with a subbed airing and Serbia, Macedonia and Kosovo began creating dubs not based on the French dub.

So clearly at some point Japanese video tracks were being widely circulated further south of Europe. It was as if the Balkans were doing their own thing while the rest of Europe had to deal with the flaws inherent to the French dub, which the German dub fixed to an extent by referencing the manga as a source.

Something I still find bizarre is SubTV in Finland airing all of Dragon Ball Z in English with subtitles and only aired the final episode with the German dub and no subtitles. Naturally fans weren't happy. While I don't envy the fans who had no reason to suspect the final episode wouldn't air in English, it is interesting SubTV went with one of the most popular European dubs. I wonder if like the example with the Balkans the German dub was evidently being passed around various regions and the last episode somehow reached SubTV.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue May 07, 2024 7:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:28 pm I guess Kohavision realized kids TV was just not the business for them.
Perhaps they eventually realized that trying to imitate RTL II's success with Dragon Ball and Digimon Adventure wasn't the best idea.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed May 08, 2024 6:42 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:28 pm What about the Greek dub? I believe other than the Junior TV Italian dub it the earliest dub of original Dragon Ball (and to a lesser extent Z, which mixes in elements of the Latin American and French dubs) to be based on the Japanese version.
The Greek dub of OG Dragon Ball started airing on ANT1 in 1995. Shortly after, the episodes were playing on ANT1 Cyprus as well.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 08, 2024 7:43 am

TheRed259 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:42 am The Greek dub of OG Dragon Ball started airing on ANT1 in 1995. Shortly after, the episodes were playing on ANT1 Cyprus as well.
I know that was my point, although I should have specified it being the first European dub to be based on the Japanese version other than the Junior TV dub, which premiered in Italy in 1989, as I know the Cantonese dub predates both. My point was that most dubs of Dragon Ball in the 90s and 2000s were based on the censored French dub, but the Greek dub seemingly broke away from that trend and may have been the cause or catalyst for Pop TV in Slovenia and later much of the Balkans to either air the Japanese version or base dubs on it, at least for the original series and early Z. It's interesting that at some point Japanese video masters for that portion of the series seemed to be circulating in south Europe between the late 90s and early 2000s.

With regard to the German dub I must admit I was not aware it helped a lot of fans to learn the language, that's really cool, and in my opinion another reason why dubs should be taken seriously as an art form and a valid viewing experience for anyone, not as inherently a dumbed down version of the original audio tracks (sure you can argue some of them are, but as we've seen from things like the Pioneer movie trilogy, Latin American and mainland Chinese versions of Dragon Ball there are good dubs too).

Also related, but does anyone know anything about the airings of Dragon Ball on a short-lived private channel called TV3 in Switzerland? I've seen it mentioned in passing on Reddit but this channel reportedly aired the German dub (likely the same one RTL II aired as from what I've been told there is generally not enough of a demand for Swiss German dubs) of Dragon Ball between 1999 and 2001. Swiss people saw Dragon Ball from either French, German or Italian channels through the use of antennas on TVs or over-the-air (apparently at this time having 5 channels as urban residents did was a huge deal, even I didn't know how good I had it as a kid :lol: ), but this is the one case I'm aware of a local broadcaster airing the series.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed May 08, 2024 9:41 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:43 am
TheRed259 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:42 am The Greek dub of OG Dragon Ball started airing on ANT1 in 1995. Shortly after, the episodes were playing on ANT1 Cyprus as well.
I know that was my point, although I should have specified it being the first European dub to be based on the Japanese version other than the Junior TV dub, which premiered in Italy in 1989, as I know the Cantonese dub predates both. My point was that most dubs of Dragon Ball in the 90s and 2000s were based on the censored French dub, but the Greek dub seemingly broke away from that trend and may have been the cause or catalyst for Pop TV in Slovenia and later much of the Balkans to either air the Japanese version or base dubs on it, at least for the original series and early Z. It's interesting that at some point Japanese video masters for that portion of the series seemed to be circulating in south Europe between the late 90s and early 2000s.
Yes, I get it. And as for the change to the Latin American dub maybe this has something to do with Toei itself or AB Groupe. For example, episode 127 from Dragon Ball Z in both Greece and Romania is based on the Japanese version while episodes 126 and 128 are based on the Latin American dub.