Legend of the Super Saiyan (Super Saiya Densetsu)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Legend of the Super Saiyan (Super Saiya Densetsu)

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Adamant wrote:
Sprite Satan wrote: It was basically two NES Dragon Ball Z RPG's meshed together with more free-roaming and updated graphics.
No, not really, apart from reusing the same basic plotline (because no one likes Cell, or something).

But yeah, definetly the best of the old Dragonball RPG series. The games kept improving on each other by adding more good features and removing bad ones, and this one ended up being the final product, a long stretch from the barely playable Daimaou Fukkatsu.
Has this been translated into English?

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:46 pm

sangofe wrote:
Adamant wrote:
Sprite Satan wrote: It was basically two NES Dragon Ball Z RPG's meshed together with more free-roaming and updated graphics.
No, not really, apart from reusing the same basic plotline (because no one likes Cell, or something).

But yeah, definetly the best of the old Dragonball RPG series. The games kept improving on each other by adding more good features and removing bad ones, and this one ended up being the final product, a long stretch from the barely playable Daimaou Fukkatsu.
Has this been translated into English?
Yes it is,
i can post a link of it if anyone wants to.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:52 pm

RandomDbzEnthusiast wrote:Yes it is,
Please do not share bootleg games on this forum. Thank you.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Even for a 20-year-old game which has never been officially translated anyway ?
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Blue+Shenron][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Blue+Shenron.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://vanesshenron.deviantart.com/]Deviantart[/url]

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Shenron wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
*I* was able to legally buy it. Not translated, but still...

I don't really care what you all do in your free time and how you get stuff (Hello, Google!), but at least don't use this forum as the dumping ground for spreading the stuff around. That's all I ask.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Shenron wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: Please do not share bootleg games on this forum. Thank you.
*I* was able to legally buy it. Not translated, but still...
And somehow mod your SNES to play Japanese games.

I don't intend to go against you here, but as far this one game is considered, I have a few points...
In the event you did find a copy, you'd only be funding someone who wanted to get rid of their game, the developers aren't losing any money off it.
If you managed to buy the game from someone, it'd be kind of a pyrrhic victory. You'd own a story-driven game you can't understand and, for most of us, won't be able to play on our SNES.

If you don't care about understanding the dialogue, menus and just about every bit of text except for the numbers (Nice RPG, huh?), you'd then have to go about manually modding your SNES like you did. Now, I don't know the specifics about this, but I do know that sort of thing would void your warranty back in the day... so you might consider it something you shouldn't be doing, if not illegal.

Don't get me wrong, I still completely support buying the original copy before using an emulator. Just voicing a counter-point for this one game.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:42 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:And somehow mod your SNES to play Japanese games.
http://www.daizex.com/general/podcast/m ... ming.shtml
MisterFlashdude wrote:I don't intend to go against you here, but as far this one game is considered, I have a few points...
In the event you did find a copy, you'd only be funding someone who wanted to get rid of their game, the developers aren't losing any money off it.
Buying the game used is NOT the same as pirating it. A physical copy is not an infinite good, where as a digital (pirated/bootleg) version is an infinite good, completely and easily duplicatable, and affects business models on some type of scale (especially with downloadable services today revisiting older games).
MisterFlashdude wrote:If you managed to buy the game from someone, it'd be kind of a pyrrhic victory. You'd own a story-driven game you can't understand and, for most of us, won't be able to play on our SNES.
I can't drive stick, but that doesn't mean I get to steal a manual-drive car... :?
MisterFlashdude wrote:If you don't care about understanding the dialogue, menus and just about every bit of text except for the numbers (Nice RPG, huh?), you'd then have to go about manually modding your SNES like you did. Now, I don't know the specifics about this, but I do know that sort of thing would void your warranty back in the day... so you might consider it something you shouldn't be doing, if not illegal.
There's a huge difference between doing something "illegal" and voiding your warranty. You bought your system. You own it. It's a piece of physical crap sitting in your home. You can bash it in with a hammer for all Nintendo and the US/Japanese governments care. They just won't do any support requests on it afterward.
MisterFlashdude wrote:Don't get me wrong, I still completely support buying the original copy before using an emulator. Just voicing a counter-point for this one game.

Appreciated!

Seriously, all I'm looking for is that we don't pass around tons of bootleg stuff. While I personally may be protected by safe harbor, I have no interest in even needing to think about using that as a defense anywhere.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
That's exactly what I had in mind, I remember it being linked for the podcast.

Well, I know you have incredibly solid reasoning behind every opinion and standard for this forum. I do try my best to always keep the original copy and don't hold on to ROMs past 24 hours if I don't own the original.

Rest assured, I won't be posting any links to anything in this thread.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:58 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:Well, I know you have incredibly solid reasoning behind every opinion and standard for this forum. I do try my best to always keep the original copy and don't hold on to ROMs past 24 hours if I don't own the original.
You know that's absolute nonsense, right? There's no grace period. You don't get to keep stolen goods for a day if you don't own its origins :P.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote: You can bash it in with a hammer for all Nintendo and the US/Japanese governments care.
Wasn't that the slogan of the virtual boy?

Oddish

Post by Oddish » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 am

MisterFlashdude wrote:Well, I know you have incredibly solid reasoning behind every opinion and standard for this forum. I do try my best to always keep the original copy and don't hold on to ROMs past 24 hours if I don't own the original.
What's the phrase? Oh yeah. That rule is an utter crock of crap. 24 hours, 24 minutes, 24 seconds; it's all the same level of illegal-ness.

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:22 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
That's exactly what I had in mind, I remember it being linked for the podcast.

Well, I know you have incredibly solid reasoning behind every opinion and standard for this forum. I do try my best to always keep the original copy and don't hold on to ROMs past 24 hours if I don't own the original.

Rest assured, I won't be posting any links to anything in this thread.
I also won`t be posting the link sorry VegettoEX

Oddish

Post by Oddish » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:47 pm

So, I played through this the other day, and thought...

"Wow. The puzzles REALLY suck in this game."

I mean, I was sort-of expecting that I'd need an FAQ for a SNES-era JRPG, but the whole switch thing was stupid. It wasn't hard. It was just plain dumb.

Also, the maps suck hard. Too bland; nothing stood out. Sure, "wow, it looks like Namek!", but that doesn't help me locate the South Cave.

On top of that, I see what people mean about the grinding/random battles. By Namek, I was getting so many random battles, I was maxed out on level by the time I reached Zarbon.

The balance is pretty ridiculous too. I know it fits the series, but you barely play with Goku or Piccolo until the final battle, where they become the best characters at your disposal. Not to mention, Freeza is impossible to beat without using them.

A re-imagined version on the DS would be cool. In the same string of Harukanaru Goku Densetsu, but y'know, good.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:32 am

I don't mind the levelling but the actual encounter rate is really weird. Sometimes you can fly around for ages before getting in a fight and then sometimes as soon as a battle ends, you'll get another random battle without even moving. It's really annoying when you just want to go somewhere.
Don't fly so fast. You only get multiple battles like that if you're making your presence obvious. If you've got a glowing aura around you everyone and their mother knows where you are so expect to get attacked a lot. Normal flying has a lower encounter rate and walking has an even lower one (with the exception of caves since you can only walk there).

The encounter rate can be a little annoying but if anyone here actually was maxed out by Zarbon or Ginyu you've got much bigger problems. I'm no where near maxed before I get to Freeza and I take my time and purposfully level grind at a few points.

I hold it as the best of the DB/Z RPGs. Much better than the NES or GBA games. Super Gokuden and Super Gokuden 2 are pretty good as well but they feel more like fighting games than RPGs since there's nothing but dialogue between battles.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.