A new kind of Fighting Game! Or something...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.
oponok
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: I... I don't even know anymore...

Post by oponok » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:16 pm

Meh... I guess I just don't have the same love for 2D fighters you do.

Dimps claimed that they weren't making Budoukai for fighting game fans, but for Dragonball fans. Now, while this is probably just a lazy excuse for not being able to come up with something as great as Nintendo, Capcom, or whomever else might, they do have a point. A 2D fighter, while it could be great, just wouldn't be able to reach the same level of intensity as a 3D game. It wouldn't feel like DBZ. It would feel like Street Fighter with DBZ characters and elements.

You're idea might make for a wonderful game, but it's not something I would really wish for Dragonball Z. The developers wouldn't have as much freedom as with a fully 3D game. Though while the hand drawn spites might look awesome, I do think the "cell shading" works pretty well, actually (though I wish the characters were a smidgen more expressive).

And one more thing... Why would the Ki meter fill up to 200%? Wouldn't you just divide it into advances of 25% instead of 50's? You can't logically get more than 100%. But if this game were to come out as fun as Smash Brothers Melee, another such culprit, I'd forgive you.
"In fact, the United States Alf Fanfiction Department has issued notices offering high paying jobs for more Alf fanfiction, which they believe could immediately resolve countless global issues such as world hunger."

Izlude
Regular
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:58 pm

Post by Izlude » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:39 pm

Basically, this game is like Guilty Gear meets Smash Brothers...almost like the new Guilty Gear Isuka, except the fighting engine has a lot more features thrown in. Thats what I think what 2D really has over 3D, features, most 2D games are simple enough to get into, but then as you get better at them, you learn how complex they really are, while (most) 3D fighters usually require you learn the system from bottom to top right away, and there isnt much new to learn as you get any better.

A 2D DBZ fighter taking full advantage of today's technology would be awesome, so long as it is Arc System Works who are doing it, they are the masters of 2D today.
And one more thing... Why would the Ki meter fill up to 200%? Wouldn't you just divide it into advances of 25% instead of 50's? You can't logically get more than 100%.
Well in a DBZ like sense, characters can power up above their limits, so why not extend it to 200%? Although in game, it would be like having two levels of super meter.

User avatar
The S
I Live Here
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:54 am
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Contact:

Post by The S » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:49 am

Hey S, I remember your game in Game Maker, so you should bang out something with your dream characters.

That'd be super awesome.
I would, except I'm concentrating on games that I can sell and make $$$ on at this moment... but my DB game will surface, have faith.
Keep this leak on the down low, I don't wanna get shot.

http://lupin3.home.comcast.net/insfight.exe

Buggy as hell, freezes up when I attempt to change the controls, two-second Paint-style graphics, and laughable fighting system...

And still it's better than most of the DB games out there.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

User avatar
Mugenmidget
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Post by Mugenmidget » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:08 am

I don't know what Dragonball games you're playing then.

User avatar
The S
I Live Here
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:54 am
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Contact:

Post by The S » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:26 am

Oh, to name a few, UB22, Final Bout...
TAIKETSU...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

User avatar
sangofe
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8126
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Post by sangofe » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:10 am

The S wrote:
Hey S, I remember your game in Game Maker, so you should bang out something with your dream characters.

That'd be super awesome.
I would, except I'm concentrating on games that I can sell and make $$$ on at this moment... but my DB game will surface, have faith.
Keep this leak on the down low, I don't wanna get shot.

http://lupin3.home.comcast.net/insfight.exe

haha, is this game even playable :)

Buggy as hell, freezes up when I attempt to change the controls, two-second Paint-style graphics, and laughable fighting system...

And still it's better than most of the DB games out there.

User avatar
Mugenmidget
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Post by Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:21 pm

The S wrote:Oh, to name a few, UB22, Final Bout...
TAIKETSU...
Hahah yeah...UHHHH I mean Webfoot does not condone blatant bashing of its flagship brawler title, Taiketsu.

User avatar
Dragon
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:22 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by Dragon » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:32 pm

It'd be nice if they had Launch, Bardock, and maybe even Oolong and Puar in a fighting game... unless Bardock was already in one. It'd be kind of neat though to play as Mr. Popo or Pilaf. I could go on and on.
Gerry Dragan (yes, that's my real name.)

User avatar
El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 492
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:06 pm
Location: UK

Post by El_Diablo » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:53 pm

I think Bardock is in Budokai 3
Where's the beef?

Post Reply