Dragonball's animal people and pets. Why and How?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rzerox21xx
Not-So-Newbie

Dragonball's animal people and pets. Why and How?

Post by rzerox21xx » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:59 pm

I find it funny that you see dog people like the police chief from the saiyian saga to the Boudakai priest and then you have pet dogs like Satan's dog Bay and the pets you see in Briefs home. You also have dinosaurs and talking ones too, like the one that try to eat Bulma in the first chapter or episode to Giran. You see Bear people, Panda people, and other strange animal people along with real animals. Let's not forget Puar and Oolong. Are those animal people just more evolved versions of the regular animals that don't talk and behave like normal animals or what?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:50 pm

Picture this: Centuries before DragonBall started, there was a young emperor or prince or something, whose kingdom covered most of the DragonBall world. His royal subjects worked extremely hard to gather the DragonBalls and bring them together so that the child can get a wish. Upon summoning Shenlong, what does the 8-or-so-year-old little ruler say?

"I wish there were animals that could walk and talk just like people!"
Last edited by Kaboom on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:52 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Picture this: Centuries before DragonBall started, there was a young emperor or prince or something, whose kingdom covered most of the DragonBall world. His royal subjects worked extremely hard to gather the DragonBalls and bring them together so that the child can get a wish. Upon summoning Shenlong, what does the 8-or-so-year-old little ruler say?

This is perhaps the best fan-logic-based-explanation I have ever read with regards to the franchise.

You win my heart.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:02 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Picture this: Centuries before DragonBall started, there was a young emperor or prince or something, who's kingdom covered most of the DragonBall world. His royal subjects worked extremely hard to gather the DragonBalls and bring them together so that the child can get a wish. Upon summoning Shenlong, what does the 8-or-so-year-old little ruler say?

I'm an awful person, but in Kame-sennin's flashback to Piccolo Daimao's reign of terror in the manga, a dog person is among the people seen fleeing in terror. Kami created the dragonballs after splitting with Daimao (and a few years after Daimao was sealed, according to Daizenshuu 7), so animal people predate the dragonballs.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Herms wrote:I'm an awful person, but in Kame-sennin's flashback to Piccolo Daimao's reign of terror in the manga, a dog person is among the people seen fleeing in terror. Kami created the dragonballs after splitting with Daimao (and a few years after Daimao was sealed, according to Daizenshuu 7), so animal people predate the dragonballs.
Well, I... um...

SHUT UP

EDIT: Ah well, it was originally Xyex's idea anyway.
Last edited by Kaboom on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm

A parade is rained on. How sad. :<

Oh well... it would have fit perfectly without those contradictions. *shrugs*
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:Picture this: Centuries before DragonBall started, there was a young emperor or prince or something, whose kingdom covered most of the DragonBall world. His royal subjects worked extremely hard to gather the DragonBalls and bring them together so that the child can get a wish. Upon summoning Shenlong, what does the 8-or-so-year-old little ruler say?

This is perhaps the best fan-logic-based-explanation I have ever read with regards to the franchise.

You win my heart.
He wins nothing, for he stole that from me! :P
I'm an awful person, but in Kame-sennin's flashback to Piccolo Daimao's reign of terror in the manga, a dog person is among the people seen fleeing in terror. Kami created the dragonballs after splitting with Daimao (and a few years after Daimao was sealed, according to Daizenshuu 7), so animal people predate the dragonballs.

Is that dog person in the manga or the anime?

*crosses fingers for filler!*

EDIT
CRAP! I should learn to read through stuff three or four times before replying. Just NOW saw the "in the manga" bit of that.

Fine. I'll just go with the idea that the Daizenshuu is wrong! Yes. That will work. *nods*

It's not like I don't already ignore stuff from them I don't like. Tien's a human, damnit~!
Last edited by Xyex on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Xyex wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:

You win my heart.
He wins nothing, for he stole that from me! :P

Is that dog person in the manga or the anime?

*crosses fingers for filler!*
*checks DB Volume 12*

*sigh*

There is indeed a dog person running from Piccolo on page 43. :cry:

DAMN YOU, HERMS...!!

[size=0]But I still love you.[/size]
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragonball's animal people and pets. Why and How?

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 pm

rzerox21xx wrote:You see Bear people, Panda people, and other strange animal people along with real animals. Are those animal people just more evolved versions of the regular animals that don't talk and behave like normal animals or what?
Saiyan + Human = Saiyan-Human.

Animal + Human = Animal-Human.

On a different note, congrats to Kaboom for dethroning Jerseymilk as most verbose poster. :P

saiyanprincess
Regular

Re: Dragonball's animal people and pets. Why and How?

Post by saiyanprincess » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:02 pm

="Rocketman"]
rzerox21xx wrote:You see Bear people, Panda people, and other strange animal people along with real animals. Are those animal people just more evolved versions of the regular animals that don't talk and behave like normal animals or what?
Saiyan + Human = Saiyan-Human.

Animal + Human = Animal-Human.
I guess the animal-human hybrids are also attracted to humans. Oolong is not particularly attracted to female pigs, he just wants to jump on female humans... (Attempting to set up a harem...) An animal + Human would have to originally be done to produce the first generation. That would be like a cringing scene I saw on an American Pie movie... And just wrong...
I suppose the animals could have evolved over time just as we did from apes, but I quite like Ssj Kaboom's idea about the young child using the dragonballs. :P It warms my heart a little.
(I also don't really fancy picturing some bald fat guy like Nappa raping a pig or a bear... Ewwww.)
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:04 pm

I never really thought about it. Seeing as it's a crazy alternate earth, I just figured they evolved that way for some strange reason.

It's kind of liking asking what's up with continents in the Dragon World anyway.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

rzerox21xx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by rzerox21xx » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:07 pm

Or how Jackie Chun and Piccolo can blow up the moon and not effect the tides of the planet.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:12 pm

rzerox21xx wrote:Or how Jackie Chun and Piccolo can blow up the moon and not effect the tides of the planet.
To Toriyama's credit, this IS mentioned by the announcer at the 21st Budokai after Kame-Sen'nin destroys it. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:37 pm

rzerox21xx wrote:Or how Jackie Chun and Piccolo can blow up the moon and not effect the tides of the planet.
The tides would get smaller. That's the only effect removing the Moon would have on them.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 pm

Oh yeah, how the fuck did the moon come back for Piccolo to blow it up?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:54 pm

B wrote:Oh yeah, how the fuck did the moon come back for Piccolo to blow it up?
Kami did it. Because he could.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:15 pm

I guess Kami must have also been the one to restore it all those times it got broken in Dr. Slump too.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:12 am

Herms wrote:I guess Kami must have also been the one to restore it all those times it got broken in Dr. Slump too.
That was the ponpoko gun they explained in vol. 16.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:24 am

Super Sonic wrote:That was the ponpoko gun they explained in vol. 16.
Isn't that just how they restored the house?

Yasai-R-Mighty
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yasai-R-Mighty » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:15 am

"I wish all those neat dinosaur fossils would come back to life! :P

I'd assume that they either evolved from different animals, into humanoid like beast. Another explanation: maybe thousands of years a go some kind of sorcerer (anything's possible in the db world) cursed a Kingdom for whatever reason, so that everyone living their turned into a anthropomorphism version of the animal their personality most resembled, the cursed had no choice but to live out their lives like this. They married each other and, had animal children and there children had children etc.

Really I just think AT liked the thought of walking talking clothed animals, it made the manga more "colorful", I suppose that's a pun since it's black and white.....but you get what I mean. :P
[Insert mind blowingly cool quote here]