I wonder if this offended Akira Toriyama?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:54 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
B wrote:Something tells me if you mentioned Toninjinka to Toriyama, he wouldn't even know what you were talking about.
I'd bet serious money on that. If he can't remember Tao Pi Pi there is no way in hell he's remembering that character.
... You mean the character whose name means "rabbit who turns people to carrots"? Nah, no way a Japanese manga author would be able to guess who that is... :lol:

... Everyone else noticed the extreme sarcasm in *cough* certain parts of Dr. Kasy's posts, right? ... :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:02 pm

caejones wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
B wrote:Something tells me if you mentioned Toninjinka to Toriyama, he wouldn't even know what you were talking about.
I'd bet serious money on that. If he can't remember Tao Pi Pi there is no way in hell he's remembering that character.
... You mean the character whose name means "rabbit who turns people to carrots"? Nah, no way a Japanese manga author would be able to guess who that is... :lol:

... Everyone else noticed the extreme sarcasm in *cough* certain parts of Dr. Kasy's posts, right? ... :?
I still don't think he'd be able to remember who he is. Once again he forgot one of the major villains in Dragonball that appears not once but twice. I don't care if his name was "Rabbit who appears in issue number two after Goku defeats his henchmen and then proceeds to turn Bulma into a carrot but Goku smacks him upside the head with his pole."
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:13 pm

If Dr. Casey is being sarcastic, he sucks at it.
That looked pretty serious to me.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:16 pm

B wrote:If Dr. Casey is being sarcastic, he sucks at it.
That looked pretty serious to me.
To be fair, I can't tell the difference in his posts half the time compared to most others... But I "^_^" anyway. <-- See how the two carets have an underline between them? It's like, a weird pointy-eyebrowed, flat-nosed smile! It should be in Dr. Slump: 2009!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:14 pm

I think Toriyama would remember Toninjinka. It was one of the first villains he created. And a big fluffy rabbit that turns people into carrots kind of sticks in your brain more so than..say...The Pterodactyl that tries to eat Bulma in the first episode...or the wolves that try to eat Goku in the second episode.

Having said that, I doubt Toriyama would care that much about the name, and there's a good chance he wouldn't remember which name was "official" and which was adapted if he even remembers there was more than one name at all.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:I think Toriyama would remember Toninjinka. It was one of the first villains he created. And a big fluffy rabbit that turns people into carrots kind of sticks in your brain more so than..say...The Pterodactyl that tries to eat Bulma in the first episode...or the wolves that try to eat Goku in the second episode.
What about an assassin who nearly kills Goku, kills Blue and comes back as a cybernetic human in the final arc to give Tenshinhan a huge scar? You'd think he'd remember THAT guy too.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:46 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Kroni_Hunter wrote:I think Toriyama would remember Toninjinka. It was one of the first villains he created. And a big fluffy rabbit that turns people into carrots kind of sticks in your brain more so than..say...The Pterodactyl that tries to eat Bulma in the first episode...or the wolves that try to eat Goku in the second episode.
What about an assassin who nearly kills Goku, kills Blue and comes back as a cybernetic human in the final arc to give Tenshinhan a huge scar? You'd think he'd remember THAT guy too.
Yeah, you would.
Still though, how can you forget Toninjinka??
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
Yeah, you would.
Still though, how can you forget Toninjinka??
Why are we even having this discussion? Toriyama already forgot about him. Roshi blew up the moon where he was currently residing without Goku saying anything to object after the fact.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Didn't Goku say he'd bring them back to Earth after the year? Or was that dub only?

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:Didn't Goku say he'd bring them back to Earth after the year? Or was that dub only?
No there was no dialouge like that present in either the manga or the sub version of the show.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:58 pm

I think I remember talking about that before too. I was just saying that he stood out in my mind more, maybe that's just because it was one of the first real villains and I saw those first 13 episodes about 30 times.

If you think about it, the whole thing with the moon doesn't make sense anway, ignoring all the scientific reasons why a person would not be able to reach the moon without any protection or oxygen, Goku's power pole shouldn't even reach that far. In the episode where he reaches Kami's Lookout it barely fits into the slot between Karin's Tower and the bottom of the Lookout.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:24 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:If you think about it, the whole thing with the moon doesn't make sense anway, ignoring all the scientific reasons why a person would not be able to reach the moon without any protection or oxygen, Goku's power pole shouldn't even reach that far. In the episode where he reaches Kami's Lookout it barely fits into the slot between Karin's Tower and the bottom of the Lookout.
Well, it probably stopped stretching at that point because that was the destination. Did anyone say that was as far as it could stretch?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Herms wrote:
Kroni_Hunter wrote:If you think about it, the whole thing with the moon doesn't make sense anway, ignoring all the scientific reasons why a person would not be able to reach the moon without any protection or oxygen, Goku's power pole shouldn't even reach that far. In the episode where he reaches Kami's Lookout it barely fits into the slot between Karin's Tower and the bottom of the Lookout.
Well, it probably stopped stretching at that point because that was the destination. Did anyone say that was as far as it could stretch?
I don't think so, but usually the pole just stops abruptly when it gets to its destination. With the Lookout it slowed down gradually as if it were at its limit.
Last edited by Kroni_Hunter on Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:40 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Kroni_Hunter wrote:Didn't Goku say he'd bring them back to Earth after the year? Or was that dub only?
No there was no dialouge like that present in either the manga or the sub version of the show.
... Did the moon get destroyed before that time anyway? :shock:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:49 pm

caejones wrote:... Did the moon get destroyed before that time anyway? :shock:
Yeah, the 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai would have been only about 8 months later.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:34 pm

caejones wrote:... Everyone else noticed the extreme sarcasm in *cough* certain parts of Dr. Kasy's posts, right? ... :?
What

You can't just randomly spell people's names however you want. It would be pretty rude to call you Kay Joans, right?

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:42 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:
caejones wrote:... Everyone else noticed the extreme sarcasm in *cough* certain parts of Dr. Kasy's posts, right? ... :?
What

You can't just randomly spell people's names however you want. It would be pretty rude to call you Kay Joans, right?
I dunno, the 'Joans' is kinda weird, but the 'Kay' I don't mind. XD

... Umm, and I pushed reply before I realized I'd be needing to spell your name, and I use a screenreader, so checking spellings requires being rather deliberate about it. Doesn't exempt me of accusations of laziness, though. :oops:

[edit] :lol: ... I just realized the irony in this post given the original topic.
Which randomly reminds me... Sno was named in the anime before the manga, right? [/edit]

Yasai-R-Mighty
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yasai-R-Mighty » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Toriyama doesn't like Dragon Ball as much as we do.
Yeah you're probably right. :P In fact I don't think people can ever like their own creative works as much as other people's.
[Insert mind blowingly cool quote here]

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Yasai-R-Mighty wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:Toriyama doesn't like Dragon Ball as much as we do.
Yeah you're probably right. :P In fact I don't think people can ever like their own creative works as much as other people's.
Maybe JK Rowling. (Harry Potter)

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:37 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:
Herms wrote:
I don't think so, but usually the pole just stops abruptly when it gets to its destination. With the Lookout it slowed down gradually as if it were at its limit.
That's a big assumption to make. I mean, you can't just say, "This part of Dragon Ball doesn't make sense, so let's just ignore it." Either the rabbit exists, went to the moon and got nuked by a kamehameha, or he never existed to begin with. Either way Mr Toriyama either forgot about him or just didn't care about him by the time of the tournament.