Is Raditz really Goku's brother?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Is Raditz really Goku's brother?

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:00 am

This may sound really stupid, but it's been bothering me for many years. We all know Raditz tells Goku he's his older brother, everybody freaks out says they look just the same, which I really dont see the resemblence, other than spikey hair, and the tail. Did he mean that they are brothers as in "your a Saiyan I'm a Saiyan, we're brothers." Or are they really brothers?

I also ask this question because Raditz is never mentioned in the Bardock special, or in any other time. Was he just used as a prop character for Toriyama to say "this is Goku's brother, I'll scrap him after this." What do you guys think?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:27 am

He is literally Goku's brother. He talks about their father and everything.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 am

He has a very valid point and been pondering the same thing. What bugs me the most is that Raditz wasn't ever mention in the Bardock special nor was he ever mentioned after Goku asks Yemma in Hell about him and that was it. I'm starting to question him being Goku's brother completely.
You must have faith in who you are.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:20 am

dragondyle wrote:He has a very valid point and been pondering the same thing. What bugs me the most is that Raditz wasn't ever mention in the Bardock special nor was he ever mentioned after Goku asks Yemma in Hell about him and that was it. I'm starting to question him being Goku's brother completely.
I don't really see why that would make you think they're not really brothers. I mean, Enma himself said they were.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 am

I think it's because Raditz is Goku's brother that he gets forgotten after his death.
Remember, it's the likes of Raditz and Vegeta who put emphasis on family/racial history. Goku just plain doesn't care.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:47 am

The Lord of the Afterlife says he's his brother, and Goku himself even refers to him as "my brother" when he's talking about Raditz's pod.

So, we have pretty much the most authoritative confirmation possible, and acceptance from Goku himself, so it's safe to say that they are truly brothers.

BUT...

Doesn't Raditz say "You look... just like your father..." or something similar in Viz's manga? Why would he say "your father" and not "our father"?

Now that I think about it, mabye they're half-brothers. Raditz doesn't look like Bardock, so mabye they just have a slutty Saiya-jin mother, of whom Bardock happened to be one of her conquests? ... Oh God, it actually makes sense... :shock:
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:06 am

The Tori-bot wrote:Doesn't Raditz say "You look... just like your father..." or something siimilar in Viz's manga? Why would he say "your father" and not "our father"?
Raditz has not yet identified himself as Goku's brother at that point. Using "our father" in that line would be lol spoilers.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:35 am

I think I remember Herms saying that in Japanese, Raditz refers to Bardock as "father". Not "your father" or "our father".

I might be wrong.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:54 am

rereboy wrote:I think I remember Herms saying that in Japanese, Raditz refers to Bardock as "father". Not "your father" or "our father".

I might be wrong.
It can still translate as "your father" even though Raditz doesn't use a pronoun. Even saying "You look just like Father" implies they're brothers, which Raditz doesn't reveal until the next chapter.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:29 am

Ya gotta be kidding me.

Raditz takes after Goku's unseen mother.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:16 pm

B wrote:Raditz takes after Goku's unseen mother.
She must be a stone cold fox!

Wasn't she technically another survivor of Planet Vegeta's destruction, since she died a year after it happened?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:43 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:

Wasn't she technically another survivor of Planet Vegeta's destruction, since she died a year after it happened?
That was a mistranslation by the French daizenshuu. It was supposed to say Chichi's mother died, not Kakarotto's. The fact that she was listed as dying a year later made people assume she was offworld at the time, but she wasn't.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:09 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Doesn't Raditz say "You look... just like your father..." or something similar in Viz's manga? Why would he say "your father" and not "our father"?

Now that I think about it, mabye they're half-brothers. Raditz doesn't look like Bardock, so mabye they just have a slutty Saiya-jin mother, of whom Bardock happened to be one of her conquests? ... Oh God, it actually makes sense... :shock:
In the original Japanese he just says you look just like "father". Then later he says that "our father and mother" died in the destruction of Planet Vegeta. So they're full brothers.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:42 pm

dragondyle wrote:He has a very valid point and been pondering the same thing. What bugs me the most is that Raditz wasn't ever mention in the Bardock special nor was he ever mentioned after Goku asks Yemma in Hell about him and that was it. I'm starting to question him being Goku's brother completely.
I dunno, character balance isn't always Toriyama's strong point. From what I remember, Grandpa Gohan's last mention in the manga comes shortly after Radditz'; I don't think he's so much as alluded to after Goku's revelation during the Vegeta fight.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:19 pm

There's no question about it, he is definately Goku's older brother, it's something I've never even asked myself before. It's the strong way it was exectuted, he reveales it after landing and it comes as a shock to Goku, he even tells him again after him and Piccolo land to fight him, just before the fight Raditz reminds him that he is his brother again.

Plus there no point really in thinking that they're not related because they don't look that similar, Kamessenin looks different to Baba, and also, I never pictured Goku's mother being a slut in anyway, to be honest, despite the fact that Saiyans are meant to be the equivelant of savage cavemen who took over their planet, I hardly see them as savages with no heart or family morals, sure they love to fight, but the only Saiyan we see that represents pure evil and no regard for anyone including the Saiyans themselves and his own family is Vegeta, and eventually even he turns good. The other Sayians weren't pure evil, even Nappa has some heart, he is shocked when he realised Vegeta doesn't give a shit about Radditz dying, even though the three of them stuck together through Freeza's tough times, his only concern was immortality and being stronger than everyone else, he should have realised Vegeta would end up being the cause of his death, he's just a big dope. Radditz does act kind of sore, but he is the weakest of the trio, and with everything being transmitted through the scouters, he can't exactly go soft, given a chance even he would have seen the side of good.
Last edited by Bejiita on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Dayspring wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:

That was a mistranslation by the French daizenshuu. It was supposed to say Chichi's mother died, not Kakarotto's. The fact that she was listed as dying a year later made people assume she was offworld at the time, but she wasn't.
Dammit, I guess that does make more sense, Kakarotto's mother was probably resting at the time, unless Saiyans can have a baby and then go beat people up.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:05 pm

Raditz is Son Goku's brother, it is explicitly stated that he is Goku's brother, more than once, in fact. It baffles me why anyone would think otherwise. Just because they don't resemble each other doesn't mean they aren't brothers. Even Lord Enma says Raditz is Goku's brother. Raditz saying "You wouldn't kill your own brother?" heavily implies that Goku IS HIS BROTHER! Plus the fact that Raditz says you look just like your father, and then goes on to say about what happened to their parents when they died on Planet Vegeta. He says "Our parents. Your parents, Kakarot." Seriously, how can you think that Raditz is NOT his brother when it is a well-know fact? Why would Toriyama lie about Raditz being Goku's brother?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:06 pm

No, it's not a valid point. It's explicitly stated that Raditz is Son Goku's brother, why would you think otherwise? See my post that I wrote.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:30 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:The Lord of the Afterlife says he's his brother, and Goku himself even refers to him as "my brother" when he's talking about Raditz's pod.

So, we have pretty much the most authoritative confirmation possible, and acceptance from Goku himself, so it's safe to say that they are truly brothers.

BUT...

Doesn't Raditz say "You look... just like your father..." or something similar in Viz's manga? Why would he say "your father" and not "our father"?

Their mom is Silk Spectre?
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:25 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
No, it's not a valid point. It's explicitly stated that Raditz is Son Goku's brother, why would you think otherwise? See my post that I wrote.
Why do you always double post when there's an edit button?