Wishing Grandpa Gohan Back To Life

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zitese
Not-So-Newbie

Wishing Grandpa Gohan Back To Life

Post by Zitese » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Why didn't they... like... ever attempt to wish Grandpa Gohan back? Think back to Chapter 1 of Dragonball. Bulma mentions that the Dragonballs will grant a wish. If that were the case, wouldn't Goku have come to the conclusion that he could wish his 'Grandpa' back to life? I mean he was stomped to death, so that doesn't count as natural causes. It just seems weird because Goku obviously misses his grandpa to death.
Buy my rice and curry?

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:31 pm

The dragon balls on Earth can't revive those who have been dead longer than a year.

Zitese
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zitese » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:32 pm

Tyro wrote:The dragon balls on Earth can't revive those who have been dead longer than a year.
I'm aware, but I had assumed that Gohan recently died by the time the series began =|
Buy my rice and curry?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:38 pm

Zitese wrote:
Tyro wrote:The dragon balls on Earth can't revive those who have been dead longer than a year.
I'm aware, but I had assumed that Gohan recently died by the time the series began =|
He didn't. And even if he did, it was long after a year when the idea of bringing someone back to life was even entertained.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Grandpa Gohan said not to wish him back the second time the Dragonballs were gathered.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Rocketman wrote:Grandpa Gohan said not to wish him back the second time the Dragonballs were gathered.
Yeah he did.

Zitese
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zitese » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:09 pm

Rocketman wrote:Grandpa Gohan said not to wish him back the second time the Dragonballs were gathered.
Ah, crap! >< Must've missed that line.
Buy my rice and curry?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Zitese wrote:
Ah, crap! >< Must've missed that line.
Ah, don't worry about it, we're here to help. ;)

And no, I will not buy your rice and curry; now please get off my lawn. Damn kids.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:47 pm

I heard that Toriyama didn't raise the idea of reviving Grandpa Gohan because it wouldn't have gone over very well with religious fanatics, and Shounen Jump might even have refused to publish it. Even Bora's revival was met with a certain amount of disapproval, though by that point the manga was popular enough that he could get away with it.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:13 pm

There's actually no such rule ever mentioned. The only thing like that ever brought up is Kami-sama saying that the dragonballs would only be able to revive those killed by Vegeta and Nappa in the last year, presumably because there's so gosh darn many of them. If there was any sort of one year limit to wishing a single person back to life, it would have been mentioned when Goku specifically asked not to be revived for a whole year during the Saiyan arc.
Dr. Casey wrote:I heard that Toriyama didn't raise the idea of reviving Grandpa Gohan because it wouldn't have gone over very well with religious fanatics, and Shounen Jump might even have refused to publish it. Even Bora's revival was met with a certain amount of disapproval, though by that point the manga was popular enough that he could get away with it.
No offense, but that sounds like a load of bullocks. Do you remember where you heard that?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:17 pm

GameFAQs Dragon Ball board circa 2003. It always stuck with me because I thought it interesting.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Dr. Casey wrote:GameFAQs Dragon Ball board circa 2003.
Uh... yeah, great source of reliable information, there...

*cough*
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Herms wrote:
There's actually no such rule ever mentioned. The only thing like that ever brought up is Kami-sama saying that the dragonballs would only be able to revive those killed by Vegeta and Nappa in the last year, presumably because there's so gosh darn many of them. If there was any sort of one year limit to wishing a single person back to life, it would have been mentioned when Goku specifically asked not to be revived for a whole year during the Saiyan arc.
In all fairness, Goku was only dead what, 10 months? One could argue they would have wished him back regardless of his completing his training on day 364.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:59 pm

Nobody thought of using the Dragon Balls in that way until Bora. Goku was more at peace with Gohan's death, so the thought didn't occur to him. And there wasn't much death (well, good guys anyway) until Bora. But when he saw Upa's grief, his mind must sought out options.

That's what I think, anyway.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D