The Daizenshuu's Releases In America

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The Daizenshuu's Releases In America

Post by Pain » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:48 pm

We all know that Daizenhuu: Complete Illustrations was released in America last year, but will the others be released, as well? Was the first Daizenshuu's release in America intended to be followed by the other 6? Or was this supposed to be a stand alone title for America? The American edition of the book doesn't really imply that there will be any other releases, afterwards. So have you guys heard anything about the other 6 coming to the states?
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I doubt there's a solid demand for it. I think the only reason the first one was released was because of DBE and a resurgence of interest among North Americans in general.

But, I don't know much about Viz and databooks. I know they released two Bleach ones, but I don't follow them enough to know what they do for stuff like this normally.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I think that a lot of other countries got the first Daizenshuu and nothing else. If I am recalling that correctly, we may get the same treatment. Viz may not feel that there is a dedicated enough fanbase for Dragonball to publish a guide book.

Also, because of mentions of movie characters and plots and the anime in general, there may be a copyright issue with Funimation.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:53 pm

It's debatable, and we did debate it. For one, the 1 is missing off the cover, but the interview with Toriyama says "Part 1".

So... they made it as cloudy and confusing as possible.

I think someone said there was a legal matter over screen shots of the series in the other Daizenshuu (I think they have screen shots) and they could be discussing it.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:58 pm

B wrote:I doubt there's a solid demand for it. I think the only reason the first one was released was because of DBE and a resurgence of interest among North Americans in general.

But, I don't know much about Viz and databooks. I know they released two Bleach ones, but I don't follow them enough to know what they do for stuff like this normally.
Yeah, Viz released the Bleach:All Colour But The Black and Bleach: SOULs books. They also released two Fullmetal Alchemist Artbooks and a databook. I've got high hopes for the Daizenshuu.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Dang, man! Those prices are so expensive!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... =Daizenshu
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:00 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Dang, man! Those prices are so expensive!

I can see why, since they're out of print.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Due to all of the licensing agreements connected to the content of the other Daizenshuu, it's very unlikely they'll get domestic releases any time soon. The best thing we as a fan-base can do, is simply send intellectually written e-mails expressing true interest in domestic releases of future volumes.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:13 pm

Pain wrote:

Well, I definitely did not pay anywhere near $100 for Daizenshuu 7 and I got Daizenshuu 6 for a mere $10. My suggestion is to not buy on Amazon.
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Pain wrote:

Well, and that's the Amazon Marketplace (read: people just selling stuff with Amazon acting as a host for the listings). People tend to try and rape others on there, especially on imports. Never bought anything there except a college text in my freshman year.

-Corey

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:I think that a lot of other countries got the first Daizenshuu and nothing else. If I am recalling that correctly, we may get the same treatment. Viz may not feel that there is a dedicated enough fanbase for Dragonball to publish a guide book.

Also, because of mentions of movie characters and plots and the anime in general, there may be a copyright issue with Funimation.
Viz has worked with FUNi before for other franchises (Fullmetal Alchemist at least) to get the anime artbook(s) out, so I see no reason why it couldn't be done for DB.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:03 pm

I don't really like how devious Viz gets with their translations.. I could wait until Herms completes his daizenshuu translations - even if it takes a few more years.
Just Saiyan...

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:14 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:I don't really like how devious Viz gets with their translations.. I could wait until Herms completes his daizenshuu translations - even if it takes a few more years.
Though their translation of Daizenshuu 1 was one of their best translated Dragonball works, both translation-wise and overall quality-wise, in my opinion and that of most fans.

And I don't think that the intentions behind Kanzentai's Daizenshuu Bonus Coverage is to undermine domestic releases...

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Well the American dub and the original Japanese version is pretty different. I think it'd be hard to translate because if you actually translated it word for word into English, most of the information would be wrong... uh, actually it would be right but... according to the American dub? No. The reason Vol.1 was released here is because it has pretty much no information about the series just really awesome pictures.

Unless they actually just do translate it word for word and say fuck the Amercian dub. That would be a deam, a dream that will never come true...

Oolong215
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oolong215 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:36 pm

Viz also released Der Mond, a Neon Genesis Evangelion artbook.
How can thou be out of breath when thou hast breat to say thou art out of breath?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:49 pm

Oolong215 wrote:Viz also released Der Mond, a Neon Genesis Evangelion artbook.
Which I need to get. >.>

I would luuuuuv to Daizenshuu 3 in English. :/ But you can't get everything.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Besides Daizenshuu 1, Daizenshuu 2 and 4 are also based purely on the manga, so there'd be no conflicts with Funi over those two. Of course, as far as I know France is the only country to see a translated version of either of those (7), while as others have mentioned, numerous countries have gotten a translated release of 1 and only 1. So not to be a pessimist or anything, but I wouldn't say the release of 1 by Viz is likely to lead to a release of any of the others, especially as it's been almost a year since then and there's been no word on any further release.

(Watch Viz anounce their release of the rest of the daizenshuu 10 seconds after I post this...)
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:22 am

I didnt even know the first Daizenshuu was released in America! :shock: Does anyone know where(if) I can find a copy? Well...outside of Amazon that is, that looks like a rip off!
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:33 am

Herms wrote:Besides Daizenshuu 1, Daizenshuu 2 and 4 are also based purely on the manga, so there'd be no conflicts with Funi over those two. Of course, as far as I know France is the only country to see a translated version of either of those (7), while as others have mentioned, numerous countries have gotten a translated release of 1 and only 1. So not to be a pessimist or anything, but I wouldn't say the release of 1 by Viz is likely to lead to a release of any of the others, especially as it's been almost a year since then and there's been no word on any further release.

(Watch Viz anounce their release of the rest of the daizenshuu 10 seconds after I post this...)
9... 8... 7... :P

Yeah, Glenat did volumes 1 and 7. Never understood why 2 and 4 never got a translation, considering how DB is one of their done-to-deaths. Thanks to them, any French or Dutch region has some daizenshuu.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

coinmanmat

Post by coinmanmat » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I didnt even know the first Daizenshuu was released in America! :shock: Does anyone know where(if) I can find a copy? Well...outside of Amazon that is, that looks like a rip off!
Well I got mine from Barnes and Noble and its a hard cover book and is priced at $24.99