300 Characters and more!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:20 pm

Character #55

<=Upa=>

Likes: A very down-to-earth Native (American?) Indian boy who loves his father, and joined along Goku. Krillin thinks he's a girl, but then realizes that Upa is a he, not a she. One of my favorite scenes is when he turns into a cross and the words Jesus Christ appears in the back ground, freaking out one of Fortune Teller Baba's fighters.

Dislikes: Is only around a short amount of time in Dragonball, and appears once or twice throughout DBZ.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Character #56

<=Maron=>

Likes: HOT DAMN! She's a real tease, flirty, and probably easy if you show her something shiny. Looks great in a swimsuit.

Dislikes: Maron is what I like to call a "tartlet." She's only good for quick snack if you get my meaning. She's a extremely ditsy, air headed, bimbo with the attention span of a gnat. Her character design is completely unimaginative, she's piratically Bulma's clone. She also insulted Chichi which is a BIG no-no!

Rocketman wrote:
Scarz wrote:<=Chichi=>
You forgot that she knows the Kaioken.
And she has great tits.
And she's into bondage.
Oh my, yes.
*Smacks forehead* Oh course the bondage, I totally forgot about that. She's a pro I hear.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Character #57

Yi Xing Long
("Omega Shenron" in FUNimation's dub)

Like: He was pretty cool, he had good design, and was the conpect of his idea was welldone

Dislike: He was not as evil compare to Freeza or Buu, he was a lame way to finish off the series. He has does not have that many fighting feats, and his death was lame.

WhatTheDarn
Not-So-Newbie

Post by WhatTheDarn » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:10 pm

Character #58

<=Hitler=>

Likes: Holds the distinction of being the only real-world person in the series (Tori-bot was a character based on Toriyama, but wasn't the man himself). I also think it's interesting that he may be the one mentioned in the very first chapter who used the Dragonballs to become ruler of the world (I don't think it was the current king, he didn't seem to know anything about them).

Dislikes: Do I even have to say it? He's Hitler!

MaJamie

Post by MaJamie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:04 pm

Character #58

<=Tarble=>

Likes: Oh cute, Vegeta has a brother. And he's kind of adorably obsequious for a Saiyan.

Dislikes: Wait what, Vegeta has a brother? He barely fits into a canon timeline and looks nothing like his age. And that's about all we'll ever know.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:29 pm

Character #59

<=Cyborg #18=>

Likes: The Only girl in the series who can go toe-to-toe with the Saiyans (Until Super Saiyan 2 Happened...)

Dislikes: Like all other Non-Saiyan Characters, she quickly became outclassed.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:42 pm

WhatTheDarn wrote:<=Hitler=>
Likes: Holds the distinction of being the only real-world person in the series (Tori-bot was a character based on Toriyama, but wasn't the man himself).
Well, likewise the dictator from movie 12 is based on Hitler, but isn't the man himself (just called "the dictator" and never "Hitler", Xs instead of swastikas).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:34 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:18 am

Character #61

Kiwi

Likes: Even though he didn't do much, his power rivaled Vegeta before the events on Earth. And Vegeta at that point was nothing to sneeze at. He basically died because he wasn't a Saiyan and wasn't out getting his butt whupped. To that end, he served as a good barometer to show just how far Vegeta had come by that point.

Dislikes: All of the above. I was rooting for him. Vegeta spends his whole life reaching the power he was at, as does Kiwi. Then, because Toriyama was drunk on the concept of the post-death power up, every time a Saiyan stubs their toe in the Freeza Saga, their power doubles (yes, I am exaggerating). Almost seems like cheating. At any point up until the day or so that Kiwi was schooled, he would have been a heavy hitter.

EDIT: Fixed. Gogeta needs to be added to the list, though. I didn't see him on the last update.
Last edited by Onikage725 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:23 am

Character #62

Likes: One the very few GT characters that where cool, and his battle with Goku was cool

Dislike: For someone that was stated to be stronger then Kid Buu, he never shown anything that great.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:27 am

Gogeta's a Repeat, he was 29

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:41 am

Character #63

Suke-san (aka Mr. See-Thru, the Invisible Man):

Likes: has a stunningly simple character design, provided an opportunity to see Bulma's breasts again, allows for lame jokes like this, the only character cool enough to be in my avatar

Dislikes: the spectacular instrument of his defeat has been censored in certain releases of the manga, he's basically a one-trick pony, because of him we had to hear Uranai Baba sing
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 am

Character #64

Marron

Like: Looks like a female version of her father, but as she grows, she starts to look like her mother.
Dislike: Being Krillin and #18’s daughter she has no special abilities.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:50 am

Character #65

Ginger

Like: My favorite movie henchman,plus,he cut some Goku hair

Dislike: He appear in one movie only

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:31 am

Character #66

<= Ninja Murasaki =>

Likes: A ninja :lol: - He was so full of himself and always think that victory is his - He take his fight with Goku as a game and makes him his playmate for a while - an inspiration for my OC.

Dislikes: One of the characters who had short appearence and never heard of him again - his modern design.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

ssjcj
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjcj » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:36 am

Character #67
Tao Pai Pai

Like: He kills Blue... with his tongue.

Dislike: He is a dirty fighter.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:43 am

Character #68
Gure

Like: She's sooo cute... and Vegeta's sister-in-law!

Dislike: Also needed more screentime!! Or she should've shown some of her special abilities which she hopefully had. If not, she still rocks.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:12 pm

Character #69

Pirate Robot

Likes: He is an awesome robot who gives Goku and Krillin a run for their money. Also, he is still active after all those years. A remnant of the Pirate Organization that hid in that cave, he is the only one/part of it still doing his job, and still kicking ass.

Dislikes: He died too quickly. It would frankly be awesome to have him reprogrammed by Bulma to help the gang out.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:39 pm

Character #70

Like: He was awesome looking, he was a cool idea.

Dislike: He had pretty much no character devoplment, he was strong enough to beat SSj Vegeta but got wack cross the Planet by SSj Goku instend. He should have lasted longer then eight episodes.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Character #71

Nail (Neru)

Like- I have a soft spot for stoic Nameccian warrior boys and he's definitely among their numbers. We learn very little about him in canon- he's the strongest warrior on the planet, he's their father's protector and he has a close friendship with the little Dende. He's a smart guy too, and he'll do whatever he must to protect his family (such as letting Freezer brutalize him to give everyone else more time). He ultimately gives up his very existence because it will give everyone one last shot to survive the calamity that has befallen his people and his world.

In the way that Turles is a mirror for Son Goku if he had never become an Earthling, Neru is the mirror for Piccolo/the Child of Kattatsu if he had stayed on a living Nameksei. Never especially friendly to most people but at peace with himself, his people and his world, unlike the massive mental fuckups that lead Pic down such dark isolated paths for so long/the Child of Kattatsu to rip himself in half. I've been fascinated by that for some time.

On the non-canon side, I love anything that deals with the various voices in Piccolo's head and how he interacts with them. Neru's personality in Nameccian circles is especially wonderful and I've grown much more attached to him than I even did in his canon appearances. I'd go on, but this is suppose to be about the series not the fandom so I'll cut it short ^^;

Dislike- You never hear from him again in canon as he's likely completely gone outside a bundle of chi and a few memories ;_; And I always say his name wrong.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]