Did SSJ Gotenks fly outside the Planet Earth?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Did SSJ Gotenks fly outside the Planet Earth?

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:08 pm

Rocketman wrote:
rereboy wrote:Yes they will die instantly.
No, they won't.
The temperature in space is close to the absolute zero (which is the coldest temperature there is). Therefore the temperature in space is close to -270 degrees Celsius, or -455 Fahrenheit. Even if it was 100 degrees hotter, it would still be enough to freeze them instantly and kill them.
Space doesn't have a temperature, because it doesn't have matter. In winter, you're cold because air molecules bump into you and steal your thermal energy. There's nothing in space to bump into you, so the only heat you'd lose would be the small amount radiated away.
On top of that, in space there is also no pressure at all. You know, like when you dive in the ocean, the further down you go, the more pressure there is. Its the same with our atmosphere. It has pressure. In space there isn`t one, and that alone would cause you to die instantly because our bodies are made to be at a certain pressure. Without it our heartbeat would be enough crack open our chest and kill us.
...what? No, the difference between ground-level and space is only 1 atmosphere of pressure. That is not a whole lot. The human body will hold together just as well in space as it will at 10.3 meters underwater, where the pressure is 2 atmospheres.

But hey, you don't have to take my word for it, you can see what NASA has to say.

"Holding your breath is likely to damage your lungs, something scuba divers have to watch out for when ascending, and you'll have eardrum trouble if your Eustachian tubes are badly plugged up, but theory predicts -- and animal experiments confirm -- that otherwise, exposure to vacuum causes no immediate injury. You do not explode. Your blood does not boil. You do not freeze. You do not instantly lose consciousness."
I`m no expert I just say what I thought :mrgreen: . Never said I coudn`t be wrong. Since your arguments seem convincing, I stand corrected.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:10 pm

goodguy777 wrote:How long it will take before a normal human dies in a vacuum of space?
A minute or so until you pass out from the brain using up all the oxygen stored in your blood. By two to three minutes you're dying. And although the limits aren't known, by ten minutes you're probably not able to be resuscitated.

Note that this is only because there's nothing in space for us to breathe.

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:12 pm

rereboy wrote:
I`m no expert I just say what I thought :mrgreen: . Never said I coudn`t be wrong.
The point is, without or with science, DB normal human and real life normal human have the same mortality.
Rocketman wrote:
goodguy777 wrote:How long it will take before a normal human dies in a vacuum of space?
A minute or so until you pass out from the brain using up all the oxygen stored in your blood. By two to three minutes you're dying. And although the limits aren't known, by ten minutes you're probably not able to be resuscitated.

Note that this is only because there's nothing in space for us to breathe.
OK tnx, how did you know this? do you have a reference for it?
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:20 pm

I will however have to correct you Rocketman when you say that space has no temperature.

In the NASA article you quoted it states that it has very cold temperature (presumibly the one I stated) and the only reason why you don`t freeze to death that quickly is because the heat doesn`t transfer away very quickly. But it has temperature :mrgreen:

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:22 pm

rereboy wrote:I will however have to correct you Rokectman when you say that space has no temperature.

In the NASA article you quoted it states that it has very cold temperature (presumibly the one I stated) and the only reason why you don`t freeze to death that quickly is because the heat doesn`t transfer away very quickly. But it has temperature :mrgreen:
Do you remember this statement?

I'm sorry, but no you can't involve real-world science into Dragon Ball. Do you think Toriyama actually tries to work out this kind of stuff? Do you think he sits at his desk calculating all this crap? He's not a scientist, I'm not a scientist, and I dare say neither are you. We're talking about something that started off as a gag manga, and an author who made shit up as he went along.
Last edited by goodguy777 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a gag manga! It never was nor was it meant to be scientifically sound or accurate.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm

So? :roll:

In case you havent noticed, I´ve already stated something like that in the topic.

I was friendly correcting Rocketman after he friendly corrected me about a fact just to make everything clear.

Edit 1: (And I didn`t write that second quote as far as I remember. I did however write something similar, so if you could be so kind to remove that statement from your signature since I wasn`t the one who wrote it, I would appreciate it)

Edit 2: (It was Piccolo Daimao who wrote that)

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:38 pm

rereboy wrote:So? :roll:

In case you havent noticed, I´ve already stated something like that in the topic.

I was friendly correcting Rocketman after he friendly corrected me about a fact just to make everything clear.

Edit 1: (And I didn`t write that second quote as far as I remember. I did however write something similar, so if you could be so kind to remove that statement from your signature since I wasn`t the one who wrote it, I would appreciate it)

I'm sorry, it's because the two of you is keep on putting words in my mouth and I got confused.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Well, I think I never did that, but if I did I am sorry :mrgreen:

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:23 pm

goodguy777 wrote:

I'm sorry, it's because the two of you is keep on putting words in my mouth and I got confused.
I'm not sure whether English is your main language or not, but many things you write are in fact pretty straight-forward and could be seen as conclusions. It may be a fault of communication, since we are discussing with text.
I don't think that anyone intentionally tries to put words in your mouth. We are not that kind of people here. :)
We could all try to be more clear with our posts.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:06 pm

It's blatantly obvious Gotenks is flying outside planet earth in the panel.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Miracles wrote:It's blatantly obvious Gotenks is flying outside planet earth in the panel.
So is the fact that his trail of his aura is several kilometers broad. That panel is not accurate, it's just there to show that he flew around the Earth.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm getting pretty tired of this thread going on like this. It's starting to get ugly. Let's try to move it towards something constructive, shall we?

To recap: the image shows Gotenks flying around the earth, but the image cannot be taken as accurately representative for various reasons. This image can be taken as implying that Gotenks did fly "outside the planet earth" (it's a comic, it doesn't need to be completely accurate) or it can be seen as simply a quick gag (Gotenks is clearly a gag character).

Before we go on with this conversation, we need to define two things: one, what does "outside the planet earth" mean? higher than a specific height? Outside a specific atmospheric level? What, exactly, are you asking?

And, two, why does it matter?

goodguy777
Banned

Post by goodguy777 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Godo wrote:
goodguy777 wrote:

I'm not sure whether English is your main language or not, but many things you write are in fact pretty straight-forward and could be seen as conclusions. It may be a fault of communication, since we are discussing with text.
I don't think that anyone intentionally tries to put words in your mouth. We are not that kind of people here. :)
We could all try to be more clear with our posts.
They keep on telling me that DB is not science despite the fact that I didn't say any of this. Like in the other thread, you said that I'm claiming that Toriyama is accurate with distance or something like expert in that department. I was only trying to put things in "on panel showings in tha manga", databook information and his interviews. All canon, instead of using theories which is non canon.
desirecampbell wrote:I'm getting pretty tired of this thread going on like this. It's starting to get ugly. Let's try to move it towards something constructive, shall we?

To recap: the image shows Gotenks flying around the earth, but the image cannot be taken as accurately representative for various reasons. This image can be taken as implying that Gotenks did fly "outside the planet earth" (it's a comic, it doesn't need to be completely accurate) or it can be seen as simply a quick gag (Gotenks is clearly a gag character).

Before we go on with this conversation, we need to define two things: one, what does "outside the planet earth" mean? higher than a specific height? Outside a specific atmospheric level? What, exactly, are you asking?

And, two, why does it matter?
Before complaining that you're pretty tired of this, read all the previous replies.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Godo wrote:
Miracles wrote:It's blatantly obvious Gotenks is flying outside planet earth in the panel.
So is the fact that his trail of his aura is several kilometers broad. That panel is not accurate, it's just there to show that he flew around the Earth.
The Aura trail too is blatantly outside planet earth.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:16 pm

The image depicts SSJ Gotenks flying outside of the Planet Earth. What the image represents is not literally the fact that he left the atmosphere, but that he travelled round the Earth multiple times.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:01 pm

I thought the whole point of this scene was just to show that Gotenks is very fast. I'm confident that that's all Toriyama was trying to portray with this panel and didn't pay insane attention to detail because the point of the panel was to show off Gotenks' speed. Why are we analyzing it to the point where it's become a heated argument?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:34 am

Jon Jon wrote:I thought the whole point of this scene was just to show that Gotenks is very fast. I'm confident that that's all Toriyama was trying to portray with this panel and didn't pay insane attention to detail because the point of the panel was to show off Gotenks' speed. Why are we analyzing it to the point where it's become a heated argument?
Because that's what Dragon Ball fans are like. Take things like this too seriously, despite the fact that Toriyama never intended for anyone to think this hard about one gag panel in his manga.

It's in every Dragon Ball community, and fans will continue to argue about unanswerable topics, whether we like it or not.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:59 am

Well, a lot of the 'heated argument' was just people saying exactly what you just said, and other people disagreeing with them. So technically you're involved in the 'heated argument' yourself now.

Oh well, I think this one has come to an end, thankfully.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Yup, and Goku dropped off a rabbit on the moon via his Nyoi-Bo.
It's Dragon Ball, try not to over analyse it certain parts. If it doesn't seem feasible, it probably isn't.