US Broadcast of Dragon Ball Z Kai Speculation

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Re: US Broadcast of Dragon Ball Z Kai Speculation

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:51 am

I personally hope they do not air it on Cartoon Network, and just release it straight to DVD.

Number 1: So I can hurry up and own it and watch it whenever.

and Number 2: I don't want another heavily censored script.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:13 am

ohaimynameiserik wrote:I personally hope they do not air it on Cartoon Network, and just release it straight to DVD.

Number 1: There's already a release date for DVD and absolutely no word on a television broadcast.

Number 2: Any 'heavily censored' script will be exclusive to a television broadcast. FUNimation is big on "uncut."

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:28 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
ohaimynameiserik wrote:I personally hope they do not air it on Cartoon Network, and just release it straight to DVD.

Number 1: There's already a release date for DVD and absolutely no word on a television broadcast.

Number 2: Any 'heavily censored' script will be exclusive to a television broadcast. FUNimation is big on "uncut."
Not to mention the fact that FUNimation had a tendency to release Dragon Ball things on home video before they aired on Cartoon Network. Almost the entire Buu arc of DBZ was released on DVD before it aired on CN, while almost everything from Ginyuu on at least had VHS releases before they aired. DB had VHS first for most of the series, and DVD first for the Piccolo arc on. And I think all of GT had DVDs before they aired.
-Rachel

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:

Let's hope the release date is correct, and that they do release an uncensored script on the home releases.

The only change in dialog from TV to uncut in DBZ was they referred to Mr. Satan by his real name, rather than Hercule.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:27 am

What is there to heavily censor? They aired the UUC DBZ episodes just a little before Adult Swim every evening about five or six years ago without a single ounce of censorship!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:32 am

Kendamu wrote:

What is there to heavily censor? They aired the UUC DBZ episodes just a little before Adult Swim every evening about five or six years ago without a single ounce of censorship!
I think they actually aired round 7/8 PM for a little bit.

Didn't they get some angry letters about that, though?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 am

Not that I know of. If they did, it would explain why it was moved to a 9:30PM slot.
(they/she)

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Kendamu wrote:Not that I know of. If they did, it would explain why it was moved to a 9:30PM slot.
They did. I remember when Dragon Ball aired on YTV M-F at 8:00, DBZ at 8:30 M-T, and DBGT on Fridays at 8:30. The acting for Blue Water and Ocean are a mess. But that's all in the end, I stick to the FUNimation cast.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:08 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Not that I know of. If they did, it would explain why it was moved to a 9:30PM slot.
They did. I remember when Dragon Ball aired on YTV M-F at 8:00, DBZ at 8:30 M-T, and DBGT on Fridays at 8:30. The acting for Blue Water and Ocean are a mess. But that's all in the end, I stick to the FUNimation cast.
But I was talking about Cartoon Network. What does complaints to YTV have to do with Cartoon Network?
(they/she)

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Kind of odd that it's 3 months before the supposed releases date and we have no confirmation of a US broadcast. I'm going to venture a guess here and say if we don't get any word within the next month that this will be released straight to home video. You would think since this is a new licensed acquisition by FUNi they would want to advertise it by having it broadcast on TV. Then again, that would require more work by FUNi with editing an so forth. Unless someone picks this up that can broadcast it without having it edited, I don't see it hitting TV screens anytime soon except via our DVD/Blu-Ray players.

ohaimynameiserik
Regular

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Kendamu wrote:

The blood was kept intact, but the script was still TVY7 "darn it" stupidity.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:34 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

What about Goz and Mez wearing the "HELL/HFIL" shirts in the Other World? The HFIL shirts was for the TV Broadcast and the HELL shirts are for the DVD releases.
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:What about Goz and Mez wearing the "HELL/HFIL" shirts in the Other World? The HFIL shirts was for the TV Broadcast and the HELL shirts are for the DVD releases.
What about them? Goz and Mez don't appear in Kai, since they're filler, so I don't think there's anything like that to worry about.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Hujio wrote:
SilverPlaqueVII wrote:What about Goz and Mez wearing the "HELL/HFIL" shirts in the Other World? The HFIL shirts was for the TV Broadcast and the HELL shirts are for the DVD releases.
What about them? Goz and Mez don't appear in Kai, since they're filler, so I don't think there's anything like that to worry about.
Thanks.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:59 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

I distinctly remember the Cartoon Network UUC airing featuring Karin shouting, "Give 'em Hell, Goku!!"
(they/she)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:18 pm

Kendamu wrote:I distinctly remember the Cartoon Network UUC airing featuring Karin shouting, "Give 'em Hell, Goku!!"
Not to mention all of those instances in the Namek saga where Vegeta throws around the word "damn". As well as the other characters that would also say "damn" and "piss".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:I distinctly remember the Cartoon Network UUC airing featuring Karin shouting, "Give 'em Hell, Goku!!"
Not to mention all of those instances in the Namek saga where Vegeta throws around the word "damn". As well as the other characters that would also say "damn" and "piss".
And don't forget Krillin and Jeice both calling Vegeta a bastard on different occasions.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:33 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
And don't forget Krillin and Jeice both calling Vegeta a bastard on different occasions.
You forgot Kuririn saying "Oh Crap" on episode 78 of the Frieza Saga.

The World Strongest has Dr. Wheelo cursing.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:37 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote: You forgot Kuririn saying "Oh Crap" on episode 78 of the Freeza Saga.

The World Strongest has Dr. Wheelo cursing.
Crap isn't a curse...
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote: Not to mention all of those instances in the Namek saga where Vegeta throws around the word "damn". As well as the other characters that would also say "damn" and "piss".
I mostly skipped the redub but I have to at least watch Sonny Strait's Kuririn call someone a bastard now. Was that a case of FUNimation translating a line with "bastard" in it or did they add that themselves?