Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1: Japanese Cutscenes

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zep
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1: Japanese Cutscenes

Post by Zep » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:43 pm

I recently found, after much searching, someone on Youtube who has posted the story mode for the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai, as it was released outside of the US and Japan (except for the sidestories and what-ifs, unfortunately). If you don't already know, Europe and Australia got the game with the original Japanese voices subtitled.

My very first exposure to Dragon Ball was from some old, worn recordings of the Buu arc that were unsubtitled (and may have been in Chinese, not Japanese), followed by the English dubbed version on Cartoon Network. It wasn't until this game that I actually got to hear the original Japanese voices, if you can believe that. Let's just say I was disappointed on getting Budokai 3 that the games were now being dubbed with the Funimation cast (I was doubly disappointed that there was not only no way to change the language, but the dub wasn't the Ocean cast I was more familiar with; I was still unaware of the two dub situation at the time).

I just thought I'd post a link to them up here, for anyone who hasn't seen them.

Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 - Part 4 - Part 5 - Part 6 - Part 7 - Part 8 - Part 9 - Part 10 - Part 11 - Part 12 - Part 13 - Part 14 - Part 15 - Part 16 - Part 17

The translation on the subtitles is a little... odd. They appear to be using their own translation instead of the one in the dubbed version, but there's still some really weird things going on with it sometimes. I recall there being a David and Goliath reference in there and they seem to shy away from using anything even approaching a curse word, so you get characters going "jeez!" and "darn!" at rather inappropriate moments, among other strange phrases...

Apologies if this has been brought up before (well, the game is over five years old, so...) but I'm hoping you'll understand that I wasn't too keen on scouring the archives looking to make sure, heh.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1: Japanese Cutscenes

Post by Blue » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Oh cool, I always wanted to see these cutscenes in their original language. Thanks for the links.

Edit:"Muscle cloud an omen!?"

Erm...pardon? :lol:
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Don't forget the way they never pluralize Dragon Ball when translating. So everyone's always looking for "the" Dragon Ball. Maybe Kame-sennin's filler explanation confused them... ;)
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

Zep
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zep » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Yeah, watching it back, the subtitling is pretty sub-par. Lots of confusing sentences, capital letters where capital letters shouldn't go and the aforementioned lack of "swears" (I honestly never considered "hell" or "damn" swear words, even growing up)... Even though "damn" DOES get used every now and then, just never at appropriate moments. Even when they do use it, they find some way to mess it up:

At least they got some things right, like ditching Hercule and using the original Mr Satan... However I'm pretty sure they call Bulma "Burma" at one point. Maybe they keep saying "Dragon Ball" when they mean the Dragon Balls in general is because they think it's pluralized the same way as "sheep" or "deer".

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:32 am

Ah, yes, I finally get to see the infamous "aunt sallies". I approve! Of that AND your Deadpool avatar!
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:37 am

Eh, I prefer Goku's SSJ transformation in english, has more feeling imo.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:38 am

Yeah, the "aunt sallies" line was pretty weird. I don't think Vegeta actually called Cell anything, I think he was just screaming to vent out his rage.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:45 am

Some of these match word-for-word with the dubtitles on the American version, but it seems others don't... I wonder why they decided to half-translate the game? Or was the American translation close to the Japanese in this game?
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Zep
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zep » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 pm

I found another set of videos which has the entire story, including the sidestories and what-ifs. Unfortunately the sound quality isn't that great compared to the other videos, so I hope you can stand somewhat crackly sound only coming from one speaker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtxuUtd4yTY

There's too many videos to link entirely, so just follow that link and you should be able to continue with them on the sidebar.

In the mean time, more amusing subtitles!

"You've killed almost all my friends and were about to step on my son's head... You meany!"

Uh oh, Goku, I think it's backs-against-the-wall time.

Wait, who's dying again?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:25 pm

Zep wrote:Yeah, watching it back, the subtitling is pretty sub-par.
Still a million times better than the trash you guys got, though. :)

But yeah, I always kinda liked the Budokai cutscene subtitles. They're amusingly silly.
Zep wrote:I recently found, after much searching, someone on Youtube who has posted the story mode for the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai, as it was released outside of the US and Japan (except for the sidestories and what-ifs, unfortunately).
Uh, sorry, but are you trying to say this material is rare or something? You could've just asked, I'm sure there's at least a hundred posters here who own this game and could've recorded them.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Zep
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zep » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:57 pm

Adamant wrote:
Zep wrote:Yeah, watching it back, the subtitling is pretty sub-par.
Still a million times better than the trash you guys got, though. :)

But yeah, I always kinda liked the Budokai cutscene subtitles. They're amusingly silly.
Zep wrote:I recently found, after much searching, someone on Youtube who has posted the story mode for the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai, as it was released outside of the US and Japan (except for the sidestories and what-ifs, unfortunately).
Uh, sorry, but are you trying to say this material is rare or something? You could've just asked, I'm sure there's at least a hundred posters here who own this game and could've recorded them.
First, I'm European too, so this is the version I got.

Second, I'm just saying it's rare inasmuch as I couldn't find it anywhere on youtube without having to especially ask for it. I'd say not many people inside the US ever got to see this version of the game, so I thought I would just share the find with people and maybe save anyone who intended to upload it themselves the trouble.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:14 pm

bkev wrote:Some of these match word-for-word with the dubtitles on the American version, but it seems others don't... I wonder why they decided to half-translate the game? Or was the American translation close to the Japanese in this game?
The American release's English work is surprisingly very accurate, especially considering this came out nearly 8 years ago. The only really inaccurate line that seemed obvious to me, other than the substitutes for swearing, was Goku and Vegeta's brief "Surpassing an elite warrior" exchange. Luckily this is maintained in later games' cut-scenes, though Budokai 1 changed it to something like -- Goku: "I don't expect a fair fight, it doesn't seem like your style" Vegeta: "There, I've let you speak your mind now let's begin, shall we?" I really like the dub VAs' work on this game.
14 years later

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:25 pm

I think they kind of nerfed the joke in the what if episode when Yajarobe told Vegeta that he'd probably just kill him like his other partner and Vegeta responded with "Are you talking about Nappa...ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NAPPA!?" and goes Super Saiyan. In the English version it was changed to some weird B.S about an honorable warriors death.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Cowboy Dev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cowboy Dev » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:57 pm

I've been looking everywhere for these. Thanks! :D
A Dragon Ball/Urusei Yatsura crossover would be awesome.
Having Toshio Furukawa balance between Piccolo and Ataru would be hilarious.

Zep
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zep » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:56 pm

I really like some of the cutscenes in the Freeza what-if, just because it has some rather goofy moments in it...

Also I love it when Freeza finally gets his wish:

He just looks so happy!

Oh yeah, and another funny subtitle for the road:

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:57 am

Any chance of someone providing the dub versions of these cutscenes? As someone who only ever played the PAL version, I've always been somewhat curious as to how the game was dubbed. Especially the what-ifs.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:46 am

Well this a cool treat to see this scenes in japanese and hear Chiba instead of Cook in the game.
But why is everybody in the comments all dubbies hating the japanese voices?

Though this comes full circle since this was my first DB game I ever saw, it was very weird to hear Rock The Dragon over Head Cha-La at a friend's house. I didn't expect it in spanish but it was very surreal.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:49 am

AgitoZ wrote: But why is everybody in the comments all dubbies hating the japanese voices?
Because it's YouTube.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:50 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
AgitoZ wrote: But why is everybody in the comments all dubbies hating the japanese voices?
Because it's YouTube.
Well you got me there.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:Any chance of someone providing the dub versions of these cutscenes? As someone who only ever played the PAL version, I've always been somewhat curious as to how the game was dubbed. Especially the what-ifs.
Here's some that I quickly found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ledzl6XSCK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiO3wSVsM_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcFkPbR8YM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B9IdIMFj48