Episode #0001 (19 November 2005)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:15 am

I'm not sure why everyone's so shocked to hear Mike. I can't imagine THAT many people have this belief that he'd sound like some kind of monster who eats infants for breakfast. :P

In any case, I'm a lousy girlfriend. He recorded the show WHILE I was in the apartment, and I still didn't hear the whole thing. I'm sure it's good, though! I'll listen to the MP3 today.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:24 pm

So I'm not the only one who's thrown of by the voices, I didn't think they'd be really low, but they were higher than I expected :P Anyway, great job guys.
Who said life isn't a game?

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:10 pm

Meri wrote:I'm not sure why everyone's so shocked to hear Mike. I can't imagine THAT many people have this belief that he'd sound like some kind of monster who eats infants for breakfast. :P

In any case, I'm a lousy girlfriend. He recorded the show WHILE I was in the apartment, and I still didn't hear the whole thing. I'm sure it's good, though! I'll listen to the MP3 today.
Maybe everyone was expecting a deep or low voice because he seems like a tall guy, I don't know. The only thing in the interview that caught me off-gaurd was that belch, it had a style for an unexpected incident, maybe there can be a gag reel in the future showing mis-haps that Mike and Julian edited away for the final draft. :lol:

Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing you, Meri, as a guest voice, perhaps get your opinions and views on some things alongside EX's and Julian's on a future episode subject, maybe see how that goes.
14 years later

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:22 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote: Anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing you, Meri, as a guest voice, perhaps get your opinions and views on some things alongside EX's and Julian's on a future episode subject, maybe see how that goes.
Other than the fact that I'm conveniently located in the same living space as Mike, I know that he does plan on having interviews with various members (myself included, I think) of the DBZ web community/industry at some point or another. Whoops, gave away secrets!

I still have yet to hear this Burp of Doom in the context of the show. I heard him doing it from another room, but I'm not sure what bought it on.

Hehehe, and for the record, Mike's not at all tall :D. Definitely not short like me, but he's average height. Aw man, he's breaking all of these preconceived notions!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Well, the burp almost sounded like he didn't mean for it to come out quite that well. XD

Oh and Meri, just to show how ingrained your love of Trunks is in my brain, I saw a UFO doll of GT Trunks at a dealer's table at the con I went to Saturday and immediately thought of you running away with it. Now not sure if that's touching or scary.^^'
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:00 pm

I thought the Podcast was very insightful on Mike, Julian, & Justin's behalf. I can be sure there's going to be more concerns about the DB universe brought on the show. Keep up the great work

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:02 pm

I too thought the podcast was good. And also that Mike's voice would be a little scarier for some reason... could be due to the Gendo Avatar.

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:33 pm

Meri wrote:I'm not sure why everyone's so shocked to hear Mike. I can't imagine THAT many people have this belief that he'd sound like some kind of monster who eats infants for breakfast. :P

I can't say why we're all shocked, but I think Tenka-Ichi has a good point. It's gotta be the avatar! :wink:
Anyway, my preconcieved noition was the reverse of Julian, and Mike's actual voices. I thought Mike would have the deeper voice, and Julian with the higher voice, based on their ages.
I was quite surprised when I had heared them, and it was exactly the reverse of my notion.

Also, if you were in the apartment, you should have said hello! :D

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:08 pm

Tenka-Ichi wrote:I too thought the podcast was good. And also that Mike's voice would be a little scarier for some reason... could be due to the Gendo Avatar.
Actually, I just realized I expected him to be exactly like Gendo. I never knew why I expected Mike to be deep-voiced with a take-no-shit air about him. He sounds exactly like a guy in my CSCI class (burp included).

skatezeppelin
Beyond Newbie

Great Job!!!

Post by skatezeppelin » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:25 am

Great podcast, looking forward to future podcasts.
I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:59 am

Thats really not how I was expecting you guys to sound, but it really didn't seem that odd to hear.

Anyways, it may just be me, but it kinda felt like one of the commentarys off of "the Simpsons" DVD sets.

I still have a lot to listen to though, only got through the intros.

Gamingdevil
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gamingdevil » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:51 am

lost in thought wrote:Anyway, my preconcieved noition was the reverse of Julian, and Mike's actual voices. I thought Mike would have the deeper voice, and Julian with the higher voice, based on their ages.
I was quite surprised when I had heared them, and it was exactly the reverse of my notion.
Agreed and now that I listened the whole podcast I have to say I missed your cat, unless it was the soft ticking sound (that didn't sound like a bell to me) in the background :?
Who said life isn't a game?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:50 am

Was I the only one not thrown off by the voices? >_>; Probably considering I don't exactly have a stereotypical deep man voice myself, despite being 20 years old right now. :s

Anyways, the Podcast was great. Definately professional sounding for a first time thing. I'm definately gonna keep an eye out for each Podcast brought out.

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:10 am

Yeah I thought the entire podcast was great! I have to agree with lost in thought on the voices, I thought they would be opposite as well.

I think my favorite part of the podcast was when EX gave his two cents on the pronuciation of Kaioken. There was so much spite in those words. Funny stuff.

Anyway I can't wait to hear the next one. Maybe this podcast will be a way of bringing back interest in "Ask VegettoEX" except EX and Julian could answer them during the podcast. That would be cool...at least...I think so...

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:04 am

Maybe this podcast will be a way of bringing back interest in "Ask VegettoEX" except EX and Julian could answer them during the podcast. That would be cool...at least...I think so...

Yea, It could replace Ask VeggettoEX. They could just answer one or two questions at the end of there session. Or not, either way it's cool.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:38 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:
Maybe this podcast will be a way of bringing back interest in "Ask VegettoEX" except EX and Julian could answer them during the podcast. That would be cool...at least...I think so...
Yea, It could replace Ask VeggettoEX. They could just answer one or two questions at the end of there session. Or not, either way it's cool.
I don't know about replacing the Ask VegettoEX section, but they could do a segment for it somewhere, during the Podcasts. Where-in they'll read and answer a few e-mails.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:54 pm

Out of curiosity, how'ed LOT end up on the podcast. Any chance of any other members giving it a shot?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Out of curiosity, how'ed LOT end up on the podcast. Any chance of any other members giving it a shot?
He was around, has played Sparking! enough to talk about it, and had Skype all set up :). There's no doubt that other forum members will make their voices heard (quite literally) on the show. It's just a matter of topics and coordination.
Xyex wrote:I don't know about replacing the Ask VegettoEX section, but they could do a segment for it somewhere, during the Podcasts. Where-in they'll read and answer a few e-mails.
"Ask" isn't going anywhere, and is going to make quite a dramatic return very soon. A lot of the questions we've been getting over the last year end up taking a good amount of research, and just can't be answered in a week's time. I'd *definitely* like to answer specific questions from listeners/fans on the show... it's just a matter of actually getting them to write in. Once the podcast starts making its rounds on some of the distribution sites and into people's aggregators (and we get an audience beyond this site), that's when it'll probably happen.
GotenZ1 wrote:I think my favorite part of the podcast was when EX gave his two cents on the pronuciation of Kaioken. There was so much spite in those words. Funny stuff.
Just wait until next show... 8)
Everyone Else wrote:[insert mostly-positive feedback here]
Thanks, everyone! We had lots of fun working on it. I have a ton of ideas for the next episode, and have been working my ass off pulling things together for it. I think it's going to be even more fun to make, even more fun to listen to, blah blah blah.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:17 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
GotenZ1 wrote:I think my favorite part of the podcast was when EX gave his two cents on the pronuciation of Kaioken. There was so much spite in those words. Funny stuff.
Just wait until next show... 8)
Really? I just thought you were going off on a tangent and didn't edit the interview since it was audio. Personally I found it to be very High School of you (literally: my friends and I did that exact joke in high school!), and am actually disapointed to hear that the next installment will not only intentionally include more slam-the-dubisms, but increase in number as well.
VegettoEX wrote:
Everyone Else wrote:[insert mostly-positive feedback here]
Thanks, everyone! We had lots of fun working on it. I have a ton of ideas for the next episode, and have been working my ass off pulling things together for it. I think it's going to be even more fun to make, even more fun to listen to, blah blah blah.
In other words, Mike makes the time-honored transition from burp to fart humour! :P
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:17 pm

I believe I have already mentioned how much I love this idea in the chatroom. So I'll keep it brief.

I did a search for "Daizenshuu" on the iTunes music store, and I couldn't find this podcast. Have you not submitted it to their directory? I was under the impression that it wouldn't cost you anything but a few seconds, and all you'd have to do is give them the URL to the RSS feed. Probably a good idea, definitely so if it's as easy as I think and you're looking for an audience.