Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Dub

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.
User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Dub

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:52 am

Comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1Q6FO_wCU

Piccolo, Son Goten and Trunks are all shocked by Gohan's words not because he said "Hi, nice day" to Boo but "You retard".
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
jjgp1112
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7833
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Crooklyn

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:12 am

Uhh...in the dub, Gohan's insult to Buu came at the beginning in the next episode. It'd be better to do a little more research.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:17 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Uhh...in the dub, Gohan's insult to Buu came at the beginning in the next episode. It'd be better to do a little more research.
That does not matter, he should've cussed Boo this exact moment.

Edit: Calling him "Boo Boo" is not an offensive insult nor even an insult to begin with.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1684
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:16 am

I don't get it.. The thread title was misleading too..

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:02 am

Jackal puFF wrote:I don't get it.. The thread title was misleading too..
:roll:

Gohan insulted Majin Boo. It's why he got mad.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
Akumaito Beam
Regular
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by Akumaito Beam » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 am

dbboxkaifan wrote: Edit: Calling him "Boo Boo" is not an offensive insult nor even an insult to begin with.
It's more or less a cutsey way of saying his name though. Like in the Japanese version when they insult full grown men by putting "chan" at the end of their name. Plus it doubles as a pun. Y'know when you'd trip as a kid and get a "boo boo", a little insignificant injury? I personally don't see what the big deal is here, he made a fool out of Boo and Boo got pissed off. If stuff like the specific insult being changed irks you to this extent stay faaaaaaar away from the VIZ manga! :lol:

Don't get me wrong I think there's an insane amount of silly changes in this dub and I guess it's a matter of taste where you draw the line but I find this moment largely unremarkable.

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8311
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by Saiga » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm actually glad he didn't call Boo a retard in the dubs... fool/idiot would be a much better translation if they were going to use it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Saiga wrote:I'm actually glad he didn't call Boo a retard in the dubs... fool/idiot would be a much better translation if they were going to use it.
They couldn't either way, retard's a too powerful word to use on a dub so it'd likely be idiot or stupid.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
sangofe
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8126
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Saiga wrote:I'm actually glad he didn't call Boo a retard in the dubs... fool/idiot would be a much better translation if they were going to use it.
Are you saying you know better than Mr.Simmons?

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8311
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by Saiga » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 am

sangofe wrote:
Saiga wrote:I'm actually glad he didn't call Boo a retard in the dubs... fool/idiot would be a much better translation if they were going to use it.
Are you saying you know better than Mr.Simmons?
No, that's just my opinion.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:27 pm
Location: Videl's spats
Contact:

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by The Iron Fjord » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:14 pm

Holy shit! Ocean Gohan sounds like Amuro!
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Son Gohan's English dub voice in Raging Blast 2 says "You idiot" they should've used this dialogue for this scene in DBZ instead.

But well, to be fair, it really was a nice day (in meteorology terms), after all
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Post Reply