Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Dub
- dbboxkaifan
- Banned
- Posts: 8906
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm
Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Dub
Comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1Q6FO_wCU
Piccolo, Son Goten and Trunks are all shocked by Gohan's words not because he said "Hi, nice day" to Boo but "You retard".
Piccolo, Son Goten and Trunks are all shocked by Gohan's words not because he said "Hi, nice day" to Boo but "You retard".
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
Uhh...in the dub, Gohan's insult to Buu came at the beginning in the next episode. It'd be better to do a little more research.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler
- dbboxkaifan
- Banned
- Posts: 8906
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
That does not matter, he should've cussed Boo this exact moment.jjgp1112 wrote:Uhh...in the dub, Gohan's insult to Buu came at the beginning in the next episode. It'd be better to do a little more research.
Edit: Calling him "Boo Boo" is not an offensive insult nor even an insult to begin with.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
- Jackal puFF
- I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
- Posts: 1684
- Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:24 pm
- Contact:
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
I don't get it.. The thread title was misleading too..
- dbboxkaifan
- Banned
- Posts: 8906
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
Jackal puFF wrote:I don't get it.. The thread title was misleading too..
Gohan insulted Majin Boo. It's why he got mad.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
- Akumaito Beam
- Regular
- Posts: 649
- Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 10:04 pm
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
It's more or less a cutsey way of saying his name though. Like in the Japanese version when they insult full grown men by putting "chan" at the end of their name. Plus it doubles as a pun. Y'know when you'd trip as a kid and get a "boo boo", a little insignificant injury? I personally don't see what the big deal is here, he made a fool out of Boo and Boo got pissed off. If stuff like the specific insult being changed irks you to this extent stay faaaaaaar away from the VIZ manga!dbboxkaifan wrote: Edit: Calling him "Boo Boo" is not an offensive insult nor even an insult to begin with.
Don't get me wrong I think there's an insane amount of silly changes in this dub and I guess it's a matter of taste where you draw the line but I find this moment largely unremarkable.
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
I'm actually glad he didn't call Boo a retard in the dubs... fool/idiot would be a much better translation if they were going to use it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!
- dbboxkaifan
- Banned
- Posts: 8906
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
They couldn't either way, retard's a too powerful word to use on a dub so it'd likely be idiot or stupid.Saiga wrote:I'm actually glad he didn't call Boo a retard in the dubs... fool/idiot would be a much better translation if they were going to use it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
Are you saying you know better than Mr.Simmons?Saiga wrote:I'm actually glad he didn't call Boo a retard in the dubs... fool/idiot would be a much better translation if they were going to use it.
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
No, that's just my opinion.sangofe wrote:Are you saying you know better than Mr.Simmons?Saiga wrote:I'm actually glad he didn't call Boo a retard in the dubs... fool/idiot would be a much better translation if they were going to use it.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!
- The Iron Fjord
- Beyond Newbie
- Posts: 164
- Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:27 pm
- Location: Videl's spats
- Contact:
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
Holy shit! Ocean Gohan sounds like Amuro!
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!
- dbboxkaifan
- Banned
- Posts: 8906
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm
Re: Gohan calls Boo a retard: Japanese Vs. FUNi Vs. Ocean Du
Son Gohan's English dub voice in Raging Blast 2 says "You idiot" they should've used this dialogue for this scene in DBZ instead.
But well, to be fair, it really was a nice day (in meteorology terms), after all
But well, to be fair, it really was a nice day (in meteorology terms), after all
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray



