Regarding the afterlife...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:04 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
I like to apply the same thing to Cell and Buu. Both of them were technically "created" by someone else. Cell's far more self-aware than Buu seems to be, so you can go either way with him.
But isn't Cell a biological lifeform? He is not an artficial creation like Buu, or Androids #19 and #16. So wouldn't that mean he has a soul?
Cell was still created artificially. Yes, he's organic, but he wasn't born, he was made. So really, with him, it can go either way. But he was still 'programmed' via brainwashing. Gero's voice was playing back giving him orders the entire time he was 'growing' in the lab.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:32 am

But Cell is essentially a clone of all the most powerful fighters in the universe. That seems to make him a different case than Buu or the Androids.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:17 pm

But Cell is essentially a clone of all the most powerful fighters in the universe. That seems to make him a different case than Buu or the Androids.
Still, Cell is an android, no matter which way you look at it. However, Cell, like #17 and #18, is made up of organic matter, making him a form of 'cyborg' because of both his organic and robotic components.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:48 pm

Cell is not an android. But he is not human in any sense. He does not appear to have any orgins. But he is made of organic matter.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:15 pm

Cell is not an android. But he is not human in any sense. He does not appear to have any orgins. But he is made of organic matter.
Cell is an android and has reffered to himself as one on at least one occasion. Cell isn't the same kind of Android as the others, he's a bioandroid, which is basicall a half-robot, half-biological being (his cells).

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:57 pm

Eh, actually, Cell is not an android. Sure, he may be an android in the sense of being in the same grouping as the other Artificial Humans, but he's made up of organic matter. That's why he's able to regenerate. Plus, he was pretty much an embryo, then he matured to a larva like-thing, and he even reverted to an egg. That's not something a robot does. He's not a cyborg because he doesn't have any robotic components to him--unlike #17 and 18, who were "enhanced" mechanically, Cell is composed of organic stuff. How else would he be able to regenerate himself completely even after being blown to bits?
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:01 pm

Cell is a CLONE. The only robotic components to him, and even this can be argued against, are #17 and #18's energy cores.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:08 pm

Eh, actually, Cell is not an android. Sure, he may be an android in the sense of being in the same grouping as the other Artificial Humans, but he's made up of organic matter. That's why he's able to regenerate. Plus, he was pretty much an embryo, then he matured to a larva like-thing, and he even reverted to an egg. That's not something a robot does. He's not a cyborg because he doesn't have any robotic components to him--unlike #17 and 18, who were "enhanced" mechanically, Cell is composed of organic stuff. How else would he be able to regenerate himself completely even after being blown to bits?
:oops: Good point, though I do remember when the Cell Jrs were killed in the manga, machinery came out... :? Maybe I'm just imagining things...

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:56 am

Good point, though I do remember when the Cell Jrs were killed in the manga, machinery came out... Confused Maybe I'm just imagining things...
No, that was a combination of intestines and various organs.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:37 pm

:oops: Now I feel really stupid.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:11 pm

Duo wrote:
Good point, though I do remember when the Cell Jrs were killed in the manga, machinery came out... Confused Maybe I'm just imagining things...
Gross.

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:42 am

Not to throw a wrench into an already working machine but I noticed something once. When Chi-Chi, Bulma, and Dabra went to the other world they had little whisps for feet instead (like a ghost.) Are we to assume that these people didn't get to keep their bodies and what we are actually seeing is the character's spirit cloud drawn as the character? Or could that be a different way of keeping your body for those that support or help those like Goku in a positive way and in a positive vain, (in other words not out of greed or selfishness like Vegeta?)
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:59 am

t-bone135 wrote:Not to throw a wrench into an already working machine but I noticed something once. When Chi-Chi, Bulma, and Dabra went to the other world they had little whisps for feet instead (like a ghost.) Are we to assume that these people didn't get to keep their bodies and what we are actually seeing is the character's spirit cloud drawn as the character? Or could that be a different way of keeping your body for those that support or help those like Goku in a positive way and in a positive vain, (in other words not out of greed or selfishness like Vegeta?)
Since they didn't have their bodies, I think that filler was just to identify them rather than have their voices coming out of the cloud souls.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:14 am

desirecampbell wrote:
Duo wrote:
Gross.
Yes, the anime made some changes with the Cell Junior's death's, they even screwed up by making Gohan kill an extra one that he shouldn't have.

Akira Toriyama made the Juniors' death's more gruesome, and may I say better? It is also done much quicker than the anime makes it. Even though that anime episode is easily amongst the best of episodes. First off there is no smoke when they get killed, although it is a good way of letting us know when they are dead, they still could have followed Toriyama's manga a bit better. Not that I'm complaining.

Look at this...

Even the anime didn't go this far...he's eyes pop out of the sockets and all. The anime has blood, but I don't see any here, maybe because he's a robot Toriyama didn't make them have blood.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:36 am

I think the reason they made it less gruesome is becasue of Japanese TV standards. Despite the general belief of most bitter Americans, they actuallydo have censors. In this case, Cell Jr.'s deaths were too gruesome for TV so they made them less so while keeping the actual deaths.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:56 am

B-kun wrote:I think the reason they made it less gruesome is becasue of Japanese TV standards. Despite the general belief of most bitter Americans, they actually do have censors. In this case, Cell Jr.'s deaths were too gruesome for TV so they made them less so while keeping the actual deaths.
Yea, Japanese people know when the line is crossed too, but I admit, a part of Dragonball Z that made me think differently of it was when I first watched an old fan sub of Gotenks Vs Super Buu, and the part where he sent the ghost to attack him, the image I saw was shocking, Buu all dissmantled and he's voice just barely croaking, that was quite disturbing, especially for a child(I wasn't THAT shocked, just suprised to see this on a cartoon).

After that I new DBZ was on a level from other cartoon, the only other blood or nastiness I've seen on another cartoon/anime was Tekken the movie when he tears that dinosaur's mouth apart, the Simpsons is an exception, blood and gore just looks a lot less serious in the Simpsons.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:07 pm

I love how the Cell Jrs died in the manga! :lol: I actually found it quite funny. ^_^

It's just too bad it was changed in the anime, I really loved how the eyes popped out of the sockets.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:45 pm

Bejiita wrote:Image
Jesus Christ. I think I'm going to be sick.

What were the Cell Jr. deaths like?

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:00 am

desirecampbell wrote:Jesus Christ. I think I'm going to be sick.

What were the Cell Jr. deaths like?
As you can see below, their deaths weren't too gruesome. :P

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:33 am

Well, that's not too violent. :shock: Good grief! The Cell Jr. standing there looking at his arm and all that . . .
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135