Techincally Kai is completely pointless.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Techincally Kai is completely pointless.

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:51 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Want to see DBZ without filler? READ THE MANGA!!!
What if we want to see it animated without filler?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:19 am

Zephyr wrote:
Unfortunately, it's not possibe.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Son Gohan Daimao

Post by Son Gohan Daimao » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:28 pm

This would be true, if Kai's only point was to remove filler. From what they were saying when Kai first came around, Kai is a refreshed version of Dragon Ball Z with MUCH (not all) of the material not present in the manga omitted.

Is it refreshed? Yes. Scanned in HD, rerecorded voices, rerecorded SFX and new music. I think this can explain the remastering: http://kanzentai.com/production.php?id=kai_remaster

Was much of the material not present in the manga omitted? Yes. The Saiyan arc went from 35 episodes to 16. The Namek arc went from 39 episodes to 14. The Freeza arc was went from 33 episodes to 24. The Garlic Jr. arc went from 10 episodes to absolutely nothing. The Artificial Humans arc went from 22 episodes to 13. The Cell arc went from 55 episodes to 30.

Kai wasn't the best they could have done, but it was certainly not pointless.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:21 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
Unfortunately, it's not possibe.
......unless you watch Kai. I know it still retains some filler, but it took major chunks of it out.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Zephyr wrote:......unless you watch Kai. I know it still retains some filler, but it took major chunks of it out.
I like Kai, I don't mind the remained fillers, since they are not many or big.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:59 am

It's a shame, I am so behind the concept of Kai as a filler-free adaptation with enhanced and re-animated sequences. However, I was underwhelmed by the re-animation and thought the editing wasn't all that effective. Since I haven't purchased it yet, I'd rather just invest in the Z blu-ray sets. I wish they would have taken more time with it and started with Dragon Ball and not the Z era. I really hope that eventually the entire story gets rebooted completely in some regard.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 am

Kai is now my preferred method of watching that period of the series.

I just wish there was a Boo arc produced. Better pacing and a Kai-Level dubbed Boo Arc? Yes please.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:28 pm

What pisses me off on Kai most is not incorporating of Trunks' TV special like Bardock was and ending it with Cell arc amd redrawn scenes. If the art was consistent, it could be a lot better. I never was fan of the ''from scratch'' (well, kinda was before, because of the ugly redrawn scenes), because I really don't like the new computer generated art in anime and I'm happy that one of favorite series was made in 80's and 90's.
Still, I like Z the most.

PS: The new Arale anime was the first Toriyama's adaptation made on computer without cells. Why is it looking 100% better than the 2008, PTETS and Episode of Bardock???
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:23 pm

I have yet to get Kai. However, after watching through the Freeza saga, I can safely say that I will get Kai. I watched through the whole thing in Z, and seriously, that was unbearable. I'll never be able to do that again. The other sagas weren't exactly blazing fast either. The second reason I'll get Kai is...
good dub! I've been very impressed with the dub, enough to watch the series pretty much only in English.

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

Pokewhiz7 wrote:I have yet to get Kai. However, after watching through the Freeza saga, I can safely say that I will get Kai. I watched through the whole thing in Z, and seriously, that was unbearable. I'll never be able to do that again. The other sagas weren't exactly blazing fast either. The second reason I'll get Kai is...
good dub! I've been very impressed with the dub, enough to watch the series pretty much only in English.
I'm always pretty selective when it comes to "Z", like I'll actually not watch many of the filler episodes (Arlia, etc), while keeping the ones I like (Goku in Hell and Princess Snake are hilarious). But yeah, the Frieza saga is tough to be selective with. There's a key Vegeta on that Frieza planet scene during one of the 4-5 pointless "search for Namek" episodes.
What I do is this, I'm selective about the Frieza saga stuff (so I'll basically just skip those eps + 1-2 of the Bulma ones) and then for when the Dub turns to crap (Season 3), I stick in Kai to finish up the arc.

Even for the Japanese original, I'd put on Kai for the entire Frieza fight at least.
But after that , the show is golden for me (Z). The Cell and Buu arcs are terrifically well paced. Even the filler episodes are a hell of a lot of fun.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 am

Aoi wrote:Even the filler episodes are a hell of a lot of fun.
If you mean fun = sleep, then yes, fillers are fun.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:52 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Aoi wrote:Even the filler episodes are a hell of a lot of fun.
If you mean fun = sleep, then yes, fillers are fun.
I think filler episodes are fun. The ones that are original, self-contained plots, that is. Not the filler that's just power-up, reaction shot, fight shortly, power-up, reaction shot, repeat.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 am

So many scenes badly redrawn just to delete flashing and shaking and slow down the animation are unbearable to me. They look terrible as still images, but what bugs me most is that they really spoil superbly drawn key animation that originally looked awesome in Z. In addition, I get annoyed by some sloppy video editing that looks very odd in motion. For example, in the end of episode 42, Goku says "I will beat you!" with his fist clenched, then in the next shot, he suddenly changes his posture. At least, they should have throw in a shot of Freeza between these shots. Of course, I am not a fan of the super slow pacing in Z. It's pure horrible. Actually I like Kai's pacing, but while watching Kai, I always think that I must be missing some greatly handled animation or nice renderings that were cut or spoiled in Kai. It disturbs my enjoyment.
Last edited by kei17 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:36 am

I think we can all agree that if Kei17 had edited Kai and it's music, it would have been a masterpiece.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:07 am

Innagadadavida wrote:I think we can all agree that if Kei17 had edited Kai and it's music, it would have been a masterpiece.
I'm glad that you thought so, but being a masterpiece just for nitpicky die hard fans doesn't mean it would be successful in a commercial way. What Toei did to Kai basically is pretty logical for a low budget show aimed at new-generation children.
Last edited by kei17 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 am

Innagadadavida wrote:I think we can all agree that if Kei17 had edited Kai and it's music, it would have been a masterpiece.
Not sure I agree, but dragonballmchange77 did a brilliant job with the custom music placements of Z in Kai.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Turtle bits

Post by Turtle bits » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Kai ushered in a new wave of merchandise and sales in japan, and a mild resurgence of popularity in the US. Pointless? Nah.

I get what the topic creator is saying, i didnt even know they stopped kai at the buu saga...that to me, makes it less appealing than before. I simply prefer the original anime. It has things the manga doesnt, bad and good, i enjoy both myself.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Turtle bits wrote:Kai ushered in a new wave of merchandise and sales in japan...
No it didn't.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 am

AgitoZ wrote:
Turtle bits wrote:Kai ushered in a new wave of merchandise and sales in japan...
No it didn't.
It did. It just wasn't a very big wave.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:It did. It just wasn't a very big wave.
Well, no. The merchandise that most bought were usually repackaged merchandise, nothing new. Even then, the "new" stuff for Kai was still old ideas since it was still DBZ.

The sales for the franchise were still declining with Kai. The "wave" was barely a ripple.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!