Ever feel like it's difficult to return to the English dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Re: Ever feel like it's difficult to return to the English d

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:05 am

I'm going to try and be super chill here. I know your a kid but nobody is after you so can you please try to tone down the martyr routine? Between that and the countless threads you make to try and get people to validate your opinion you give off this vibe that people are constantly attacking your character but I haven't seen anything like that. I'm not trying to be a mini-mod. From peer to peer, real talk, there's no need to identify yourself this closely with a kids cartoon to the point where you're more up-in-arms everytime you post than not. I'm sure there's more to you than liking the dub of DBZ so I wouldn't take people shitting on the dub as people shitting on you because your taste in one cartoon is not your very essence.

I decided to post this instead of PMing it because it's at least tangentally related to the topic.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:32 am

Akumaito Beam wrote:I'm going to try and be super chill here. I know your a kid but nobody is after you so can you please try to tone down the martyr routine? Between that and the countless threads you make to try and get people to validate your opinion you give off this vibe that people are constantly attacking your character but I haven't seen anything like that. I'm not trying to be a mini-mod. From peer to peer, real talk, there's no need to identify yourself this closely with a kids cartoon to the point where you're more up-in-arms everytime you post than not. I'm sure there's more to you than liking the dub of DBZ so I wouldn't take people shitting on the dub as people shitting on you because your taste in one cartoon is not your very essence.

I decided to post this instead of PMing it because it's at least tangentally related to the topic.
You should say it to Chris Parsos not me. He's the one who's forcing opinions down our throats and making it seem like fact. It's just a Japanese cartoon intended for elementary school children, yet he rages just because Funimation wanted it to appeal to Western audiences. What's so bad about that? I understand why Funimation did what they did. PS I'm 24 nearly 25. I may have a mind of a 14 year old but I ain't some kid.

Let me quote someone from Youtube
'Well, fucking let them spit in the originals face, lmao. The original dub was a piece of shit and you're part of the minority non-Japanese people that like it. Funimation were smart enough to realize that it would NOT appeal to Americans and did the right thing. They changed it and guess what? DBZ was more popular in America than when they first aired it, using the original Japanese music. That hardcore metal/electronic score was genius and most people like it better, prick.'
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz
'Let's hold off on the trophy Majin Boo!' Brad Swaile as Teen Gohan
http://www.youtube.com/ My channel RenewedTenjin.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 am

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:They changed it and guess what? DBZ was more popular in America than when they first aired it, using the original Japanese music.
Uh... What.

When DBZ was first brought over they DID change the music... That YouTube user has things completely backwards; the Japanese music wasn't used in the series on TV until Kai, and the first two movies shown on TV had the Japanese music, but those were shown after the series began, with replacement music. There's also literally no evidence that the first two movies "weren't as popular" or even "not as popular because of the Japanese music".

That's the problem with using YouTube quotes in an argument, because they're wrong about basic facts 99% of the time. And the previous assessment isn't even the beginning of that guy's logical fallacies, such as suggesting that if you like the Japanese version and you're anywhere else in the world, then you're in the "vast minority". I love how he has numbers to back that up.

Also, just found the comment. Another one of his comments began with: "The dialog is fine. There's nothing wrong with it."

Yup.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:52 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:They changed it and guess what? DBZ was more popular in America than when they first aired it, using the original Japanese music.
Uh... What.

When DBZ was first brought over they DID change the music... That YouTube user has things completely backwards; the Japanese music wasn't used in the series on TV until Kai, and the first two movies shown on TV had the Japanese music, but those were shown after the series began, with replacement music. There's also literally no evidence that the first two movies "weren't as popular" or even "not as popular because of the Japanese music".

That's the problem with using YouTube quotes in an argument, because they're wrong about basic facts 99% of the time. And the previous assessment isn't even the beginning of that guy's logical fallacies, such as suggesting that if you like the Japanese version and you're anywhere else in the world, then you're in the "vast minority". I love how he has numbers to back that up.
I will say this though. Most US folk prefer SS to MN because SS is manly while MN is too girly and lacks balls.
Has anyone seen my arm? You can't miss it, it's GREEEEENNNN!! HAHAHHAHAHA!! Funi dub Raditz

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:13 am

UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
You should say it to Chris Parsos not me. He's the one who's forcing opinions down our throats and making it seem like fact. It's just a Japanese cartoon intended for elementary school children, yet he rages just because Funimation wanted it to appeal to Western audiences. What's so bad about that? I understand why Funimation did what they did.

I've been looking at your posts too, and all that sounds like projection to me. You play the victim and act like you're being persecuted, yet your actions seem like you're the one trying to pass your opinions off as fact. He never said anything that implied that you have to think like he does because he's right. He was just expressing his opinion on the dub, not attacking you or saying you're wrong for liking it.
PS I'm 24 nearly 25. I may have a mind of a 14 year old but I ain't some kid.
Yeah, an immature 14 year old, judging from how you posted that inflammatory quote from a Youtube user that passes his opinions off as fact too as some kind of refutation of his points.

UnbiasedDBZfan
Banned

Post by UnbiasedDBZfan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:23 am

Majin Buu wrote:
UnbiasedDBZfan wrote:
You should say it to Chris Parsos not me. He's the one who's forcing opinions down our throats and making it seem like fact. It's just a Japanese cartoon intended for elementary school children, yet he rages just because Funimation wanted it to appeal to Western audiences. What's so bad about that? I understand why Funimation did what they did.

I've been looking at your posts too, and all that sounds like projection to me. You play the victim and act like you're being persecuted, yet your actions seem like you're the one trying to pass your opinions off as fact. He never said anything that implied that you have to think like he does because he's right. He was just expressing his opinion on the dub, not attacking you or saying you're wrong for liking it.
PS I'm 24 nearly 25. I may have a mind of a 14 year old but I ain't some kid.
Yeah, an immature 14 year old, judging from how you posted that inflammatory quote from a Youtube user that passes his opinions off as fact too as some kind of refutation of his points.
Okay I admit, I was being a hypocrite, but at least I don't complain about 3 minor script changes in the Mexican dub and go on a rampage!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:15 am

And we're done here. Carry on. Thanks, everyone!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 am

Well, to stay on topic, I started finding it difficult to return the English FUNimation dub a while after getting the season sets and watching them in Japanese after my initial dub viewing. I started seeing just how altered and, in my opinion, watered down it was in comparison to the Japanese version, and that I was watching the dub mostly to see the entire UUE dub, of which I only saw a handful of episodes of during it's initial tun on TV, and to watch the rest of the series with the - then new - 5.1 dub with Japanese audio track out of curiosity.

After the effect of those wore off, I started watching it in Japanese more and more, and now that's the only version of Dragon Ball (sans Kai) that I'll watch to this very day. The Dragon Boxes also helped with that. There was also the fact that I'd watched a few episodes in Japanese and played many old Japanese Dragon Ball games back in the day, so I was already accustomed to the Japanese cast from that.

I've also said this a few times, but I'd never had any problems with the Japanese cast back in the day, perhaps for the same reason I also liked the dub: I never questioned anything when I was a kid for whatever reason. Even things I never understood, I just accepted them for what they were and moved on with life. I always thought Goku's Japanese voice was "normal for kung-fu guys like him and Bruce Lee", because I assumed that Bruce Lee (and my then closer associated counterpart in Fei-Long of Street Fighter) had those high-pitched yells, and my ignorant child mind assumed that that was how they talked as well, so Goku being "in league" with them was "cool" in my eyes back then.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Corporate_Nothing
Beyond Newbie

Post by Corporate_Nothing » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:58 pm

VegettoEX wrote:And we're done here. Carry on. Thanks, everyone!
Finally. Thank you. :)
Metalwario64 wrote:Well, to stay on topic, I started finding it difficult to return the English FUNimation dub a while after getting the season sets and watching them in Japanese after my initial dub viewing. I started seeing just how altered and, in my opinion, watered down it was in comparison to the Japanese version, and that I was watching the dub mostly to see the entire UUE dub, of which I only saw a handful of episodes of during it's initial tun on TV, and to watch the rest of the series with the - then new - 5.1 dub with Japanese audio track out of curiosity.

After the effect of those wore off, I started watching it in Japanese more and more, and now that's the only version of Dragon Ball (sans Kai) that I'll watch to this very day. The Dragon Boxes also helped with that. There was also the fact that I'd watched a few episodes in Japanese and played many old Japanese Dragon Ball games back in the day, so I was already accustomed to the Japanese cast from that.

I've also said this a few times, but I'd never had any problems with the Japanese cast back in the day, perhaps for the same reason I also liked the dub: I never questioned anything when I was a kid for whatever reason. Even things I never understood, I just accepted them for what they were and moved on with life. I always thought Goku's Japanese voice was "normal for kung-fu guys like him and Bruce Lee", because I assumed that Bruce Lee (and my then closer associated counterpart in Fei-Long of Street Fighter) had those high-pitched yells, and my ignorant child mind assumed that that was how they talked as well, so Goku being "in league" with them was "cool" in my eyes back then.
What I've always wondered is how well the original Japanese version stands up to the criticism of a native Japanese viewer, in terms of both writing and voice acting. I have to figure that there are at least some flaws/quirks that completely go unnoticed by Western audiences not familiar with Japanese language or culture, who are solely going off of their untrained ear while reading Steve Simmons's subtitles. I can't think of a single instance while watching Dragon Ball in Japanese where I thought "Wow, this voice actor is really awful."
It's been done countless times before, but...
ImmaDMCA

GS7X7
Advanced Regular

Post by GS7X7 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:22 pm

"You're Chris Parsos right? I'm gonna be thinking of you when I pray today. God bless you! Yes, I'm an angry, angry Catholic boy who 'swears' and is rude, but only God can judge me."

LOL, I'M GREATSAIYAMAN777, THE ULTIMATE DBZU FANBOY! I created DBZU 2....

This is the first and only time I've been mistaken as none other than the Greek God of all Anime.... Chris Psaros! I'm truly honored! :mrgreen:
Sean Schemmel is THE MAN! :)

Me- "Also, before anyone mentions it, Schemmel's interview was from nearly 15 years ago. He paid a brief visit to Kanzenshuu's forums a few years back and earned legendary respect that cancels out anything he said from that long ago. :D"

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:20 am

It's currently impossible for me to go back and watch FUNi's DBZ dub. The acting, the script, even the casting (in places)... horrible. I like the Kai dub, though. The biggest annoyance from that is attack name inconsistencies. I also refuse to watch Dragon Ball in English, and if someone put a gun to my head and forced me to watch GT, I'd pick Japanese. I guess Kai is really the first DB series they didn't butcher in my eyes.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:37 am

No, not really but I wouldn't take it seriously for the cheese factor you've mentioned, that and their habit of warping the meaning in scenes. However I think they were evolving as they went along, the dubbing was actually good during the Buu Saga.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:45 am

Aoi wrote: Jesus, the Menza score? Yeah it makes the show unwatchable. Music is huge and it makes a 6/10 show (for me) , a 1/10 show. That is unforgivable in my eyes. Though I don't think I'd mind GT in English with the Japanese score. I don't know about Goku's voice though. Nozawa is too brilliant (even in GT).

She absolutely nails her lines. One of my favourites is when Goku lifts up with the Genki Dama, and tells Yi Xing Long that he's not going to die until he defeats him. I can't really describe it, but her delivery always sent chills down my spine. One of GT's great moments, for sure. English version can't even begin to touch this.
Not even the spanish dub was good to make this scene epic.

Yi Xing Long's Jap seiyuu >>>>>>>>>>>>> Funi's.

The man voiced fcking HIRUZEN SARUTOBI, MONKEY D DRAGON. No wonder he made Yi Xing Long a passable character.

Funi's sounded more like a Power Ranger's reject villain.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Wasn't Sabat the one who voiced Yi Xing Long?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:37 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Wasn't Sabat the one who voiced Yi Xing Long?
He voiced the final form of him, when he absorbed the other Dragon Balls - which the dub referred to as 'Omega Shenron'. The form before that, when he was simply the one-star Dragon, he was referred to as 'Syn Shenron' and voiced by Bob Carter, who also played Bojack.

Why they felt the need to give the character two separate voices though, is beyond me. And both with a filter that doesn't make it all that understandable.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Why they felt the need to give the character two separate voices though, is beyond me. And both with a filter that doesn't make it all that understandable.
Didn't that happen with Cell too? And yeah, they used a filter on #19 too. Perhaps it's just an easy way to better portray certain effects (#19's cold, high-pitched robotic voice) without doing so manually in a way that may be too subtle for their, or American children's, liking.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Why they felt the need to give the character two separate voices though, is beyond me. And both with a filter that doesn't make it all that understandable.
Didn't that happen with Cell too? And yeah, they used a filter on #19 too. Perhaps it's just an easy way to better portray certain effects (#19's cold, high-pitched robotic voice) without doing so manually in a way that may be too subtle for their, or American children's, liking.
Yes and no, Cell does have different voices for each form, but it's still the same actor portraying all of those forms. So I kind of lump that more in with Freeza's different voices for each form - though it's definitely a more jarring difference with each of Cell's forms.

And that's probably why, yeah. They probably wanted to make 'Syn' and his later 'Omega' form sound all the more unnatural, due to their origins.

...Actually...I want to say 'Haze Shenron' (the first one, water pollution - sorry, I'm not up on their Japanese names yet, haven't hit that arc in GT subbed yet) had some sort of filter over Brad Jackson's performance as well. Did all of the 'Shadow Dragons' have filters?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:32 pm

perucho1990 wrote: Not even the spanish dub was good to make this scene epic.

Yi Xing Long's Jap seiyuu >>>>>>>>>>>>> Funi's.

The man voiced fcking HIRUZEN SARUTOBI, MONKEY D DRAGON. No wonder he made Yi Xing Long a passable character.

Funi's sounded more like a Power Ranger's reject villain.
I have to disagree, I thought the filter made him sound menacing and I thought it made sense since he's meant to be all the dragons fused together and go's well with the fact that his made out of negative energy. The Japanese version comes across as "he's big and evil lets just give him a generic evil old tough guy voice" And as a result he has one of the least memorable voices in the Japanese version IMO.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:40 pm

This is kinda related, but anyone ever feel a hard time of returning to the series period, be it dubbed or subbed? I still like the series and have it completely, but recently, I haven't felt like watching any of it. Usually, I've just been watching some of DBZ's sister series like Negima, Sekirei and others. And am currently trying to finish Burst Angel by the time my local anime convention comes around next month before meeting 2 of the principal actors.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:42 pm

I have no problems going back to DBZ, at least now with Kai. It's easy for me to pop in and enjoy. Otherwise, yeah, I probably wouldn't be watching the series much.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot