Dub lines that you liked

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Dub lines that you liked

Post by Hades » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:53 am

Ok, we all know that the old dub had a lot of problems, especially with the script. But what lines were there that you genuinely liked?

For me, the best has to be Freeza's line about how humanity was a "plebeian race from the dark ages", which really says about how ignorant humanity is of the universe that surrounds them, and how much they blindly worshiped Mr. Satan (something which I really hated).
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dub lines that you liked

Post by Saiga » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:00 am

Goku's Super Saiyan speech to Freeza.

Piccolo being surprised that hitting Goku's shoulder didn't get his vital organs.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:11 am

Most of them are from the Buu Saga.

Favorites:
Vegeta's Pride #1
Vegeta's Pride #2
Fight you?
and a none Buu Saga favorite
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:17 pm

"Gohan, you're the only real friend that I've ever had, I wanna thank you. I still remember the day I brought you here, you were small, helpless, you've changed so much since then, the harder things got, the more determined you became, the more dangers you faced, the stronger you grew as a warrior. I know I was hard on you but it was for your own good. You're like the son I never had, I'm proud of you. Goodbye my friend."

Damn I love dub Piccolo. That scene gets me everytime.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:10 pm

:cry:

Lovely dialogue indeed, Codarik.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 pm

"You don't really believe that you could succeed where both your father and Vegeta failed? Maybe you do believe it. It wouldn't surprise me to know that the last Saiyan to perish at my hands was just as foolish as the first."

"Super Boo,Super Vegetto...we have such great titles don't we? We may as well just call ourselves invincible!"

Those two always stick out in the back of my mind.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:02 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:31 pm

I like Goku's ''I Am'' speech and vegeta's pride moments :P I really like future Gohan's acting it's so hard to name my favorite lines lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Off the top of my head Goku's plea to Vegeta to fuse, particularly after finding that it's a hell of a lot more powerful than the Japanese counterpart. It hammers Goku's appropriate end-of-series loss of patience with Vegeta's... I guess you'd call it stubbornness? I don't know what Vegeta was thinking anymore at that point. That was just existential rage.

Since it was brought up, I did always like "Oh, and I suppose the great Super Sayain will show and magically defeat what has never been defeated."
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 pm

"I'm going to crush you, and throw you into the wind!"
- Vegeta before he blows himself up to kill Buu

I still love this quote. I actually checked the Japanese version of this scene recently since I own the whole Buu arc now (well, almost... DBox 5 appears to have been lost in the mail, so I'm missing the Great Saiyaman! D:) and it was kind of disappointing. Vegeta just literally explains his plan to Buu, which isn't all that badass.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:15 pm

I've got to agree about Majin Vegeta and U. Gohan's respective boasts to Boo. So awesome.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:38 pm

My signature.

I thought it was funny...
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:25 am

"Release it Gohan! Release everything! Remember all the pain he's caused, the people he's hurt! NOW MAKE THAT YOUR POWER!"

"Say Goodbye!"

(laughs maniacally) "Hunh?" (Gets hit by blast)

"VEGETA!"

"NOW'S YOUR CHANCE!"

"HAAAAAAAA!!!!"

(Ginyu Transformation starts playing)

"I'M PERFECT!"

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:46 am

The only dub line from GT I like (Vegeta to super android 17)
"on your best day you couldnt fight the cold" :lol:
That was funny

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:52 am

Super 17: "I have to admire your ability to stand up after that."

Vegeta: "And I, admire your ability to die!"

The Best of my boy Vegeta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7CSe1UOF5I
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:53 am

I know Buu's "We have such great titles now, don't we?" has been thrown around a few other topics by myself and others.

I remember Trunk's attempt at explaining why he saw something akin to "admirable perfectionism" in Vegeta and why he refused to help him against Cell. It was kept in Kai word for word, you really don't change someone's being profound about Vegeta of all people, even if Vale's current scratchiness ripped the new version.

And for the easiest reference (And to agree with his point), I'll link to Gozar's blog post on the subject (With recordings of both lines).

http://otakuinabottle.blogspot.com/2012 ... runks.html
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:35 am

Dark Prince, I heard that one earlier today but couldn't remember. I laughed at that too.

son veku
Banned

Post by son veku » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:49 am

Roshi to Bulma (manga):
"Hmm a very pale gray... Oh actually, I was talking about Bulma's panties... I...uh...was just trying to help everyone break the ice..."

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:41 am

Gohan: "All I have to do is become a Super Saiyan, and believe.."
Elder Kaioshin: "Try believing somewhere else!"

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:53 am

Cell: Causing my own self-destruction was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I don't know why, but I just really like this line and how he says it.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)