How would you create a genderbent Dragon Ball?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

How would you create a genderbent Dragon Ball?

Post by Gokuman1993 » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 pm

If all the main characters of Dragon Ball were born of the different gender (ex. Goku as a girl, Bulma as a boy), what would their personalities be like? How different would character relationships be? (ex. Goku and Vegeta's rivalry) and would you change the genders of the villians and/or other races (ex. Namekians) as well? I know you're probably sick of hearing this kind of stuff from me (and that there's a post about this somewhere in Fan-Created Works), but I would love to hear how you would create a genderswapped Dragon Ball :D

(And, if you're willing, spare no one. ALL of the characters got to be genderswapped. Even Master Roshi.)

Hitiro
I Live Here

Re: How would you create a genderbent Dragon Ball?

Post by Hitiro » Sun May 13, 2012 10:11 pm

This is probably a sexist thing to say but I don't really like main female hero's or protagonists in stories period. I think the only exception to this rule is Tomb Raider for some bizarre reason she just seems bad ass. Probably because she pulls off being a bad ass without having all those girly actions affecting her. If Goku had to be a girl he would have to be the way he is as a boy for me to be interested. Then again, I also enjoy Arale's personality, probably because she has a very tom-boyish personality.

Fin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fin » Sun May 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Maybe this will sound kind of lazy, but I'd actually love to see a totally genderbent story that changes none of the personalities or relationships. I'm having a hard time coming up with Dragon Ball personalities that I'd have any issue with were they gender reversed. My biggest changes would be to all the jokes that require specific references to anatomy (Bulma's breasts, Bulma losing her [dragon] balls, etc) but for the most part I think the series could survive a complete genderbending with minimal personality changes, and I'd probably really enjoy the results. Though I'd probably deal with the Namekians not by swapping the male references with female ones but by toning down gender references altogether.
Hitiro wrote:This is probably a sexist thing to say but I don't really like main female hero's or protagonists in stories period.
Honestly, given the way women tend to be written in a lot of fiction I think the problem is usually the writers' sexist tendencies showing through rather than sexism on your part. For a really unfair and overthetop example, just look at what Yoshio Sakamoto did to Samus Aran when he decided to flesh out her personality in Metroid: Other M.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon May 14, 2012 12:45 am

Fin wrote:Honestly, given the way women tend to be written in a lot of fiction I think the problem is usually the writers' sexist tendencies showing through rather than sexism on your part. For a really unfair and overthetop example, just look at what Yoshio Sakamoto did to Samus Aran when he decided to flesh out her personality in Metroid: Other M.
I think the problem there was that Samus had already had her personality fleshed out in a few other things, like the manga and a few of the other games. If it was a reboot, or even a completely new franchise, the only complaints would probably be that a) her boss made stupid decisions, and b) she shouldn't have followed them blindly--although some people would anyway regardless of their gender.

Anyway, my first thought is pretty much exactly like yours. I can't think of many personalities that would really need to be changed. Maybe Chichi's, at least when she (he?) is young? Imagining their first and second meetings with the genders switched is...interesting, to say the least.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 am

Fin wrote:Maybe this will sound kind of lazy, but I'd actually love to see a totally genderbent story that changes none of the personalities or relationships. I'm having a hard time coming up with Dragon Ball personalities that I'd have any issue with were they gender reversed. My biggest changes would be to all the jokes that require specific references to anatomy (Bulma's breasts, Bulma losing her [dragon] balls, etc) but for the most part I think the series could survive a complete genderbending with minimal personality changes, and I'd probably really enjoy the results. Though I'd probably deal with the Namekians not by swapping the male references with female ones but by toning down gender references altogether.
Hitiro wrote:This is probably a sexist thing to say but I don't really like main female hero's or protagonists in stories period.
Honestly, given the way women tend to be written in a lot of fiction I think the problem is usually the writers' sexist tendencies showing through rather than sexism on your part. For a really unfair and overthetop example, just look at what Yoshio Sakamoto did to Samus Aran when he decided to flesh out her personality in Metroid: Other M.
Rest in piece Metroid Franchise.
1986-2009

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 14, 2012 4:08 pm

I don't know, to be honest. It's hard to think Muten Roushi still being as perverted as ever, even as a woman. Yes, I know, woman can be just as raunchy as men, but, you know, it's kind of different in fiction and with this kind of humour.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I don't know, to be honest. It's hard to think Muten Roushi still being as perverted as ever, even as a woman. Yes, I know, woman can be just as raunchy as men, but, you know, it's kind of different in fiction and with this kind of humour.
You sure about that? I mean, it could actually be quite interesting and inspiring to have an old female pervert in a Shonen anime. For example, there's a fanfic on deviantArt about a genderswapped version of Naruto. In it, the creator had made a genderswapped Jiraiya. Check it out: http://rulkout1993.deviantart.com/favou ... 0#/d4imz2o

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:51 pm

I wonder how Goku would be like during her period but all I know is that he'd make for tons of fanservice.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Some nasty shit... :shock:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon May 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Gokuman1993 wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I don't know, to be honest. It's hard to think Muten Roushi still being as perverted as ever, even as a woman. Yes, I know, woman can be just as raunchy as men, but, you know, it's kind of different in fiction and with this kind of humour.
You sure about that? I mean, it could actually be quite interesting and inspiring to have an old female pervert in a Shonen anime. For example, there's a fanfic on deviantArt about a genderswapped version of Naruto. In it, the creator had made a genderswapped Jiraiya. Check it out: http://rulkout1993.deviantart.com/favou ... 0#/d4imz2o
Yeah, exactly, Shounen. Would something like that work in a manga aimed at young boys?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Gokuman1993 wrote:
Yeah, exactly, Shounen. Would something like that work in a manga aimed at young boys?
Oh. Yeah. But, still. Imagine....

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Fin wrote:Maybe this will sound kind of lazy, but I'd actually love to see a totally genderbent story that changes none of the personalities or relationships. I'm having a hard time coming up with Dragon Ball personalities that I'd have any issue with were they gender reversed. My biggest changes would be to all the jokes that require specific references to anatomy (Bulma's breasts, Bulma losing her [dragon] balls, etc) but for the most part I think the series could survive a complete genderbending with minimal personality changes, and I'd probably really enjoy the results. Though I'd probably deal with the Namekians not by swapping the male references with female ones but by toning down gender references altogether.
Cool! Though, I do hope you'll come up with more :D

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue May 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Gederbent DB could be possible. .

It would turn into a kind of "Harem" story though. Lots of eye candy. And girls making dick/boobs jokes. Colossal amounts of fanservice. Roshi: Blanche Devereaux? A very old cougar with the male characters trying desperately to flee from her advances? Hilarious. :D

Powers ripping apart clothes and barely leaving bikinis/undewear. Or maybe not. 9_9

The only men on that version would be:
  • Chichi
  • Bulma
  • Launch
  • N.18
  • Videl
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue May 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't see the problem in it, but I don't think it would get past the censorship people for television if the males in the show were female.....unless they were not physically represented correctly.

Reason being; when a male saiyan goes super saiyan or powers up, their muscle mass increases visually, including their chest muscles. So if it were a female saiyan going super saiyan, her boobs should ALSO get much larger in the same way. I don't see that being on tv.....and I have yet to see that done properly in online fanfics or DB Multi-verse or anywhere like that.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue May 15, 2012 5:34 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't see the problem in it, but I don't think it would get past the censorship people for television if the males in the show were female.....unless they were not physically represented correctly.

Reason being; when a male saiyan goes super saiyan or powers up, their muscle mass increases visually, including their chest muscles. So if it were a female saiyan going super saiyan, her boobs should ALSO get much larger in the same way. I don't see that being on tv.....and I have yet to see that done properly in online fanfics or DB Multi-verse or anywhere like that.
Isn't this Japan, though? They're not all squeamish about that kind of stuff like Americans.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:39 pm

soulnova wrote:Gederbent DB could be possible. .

It would turn into a kind of "Harem" story though. Lots of eye candy. And girls making dick/boobs jokes. Colossal amounts of fanservice. Roshi: Blanche Devereaux? A very old cougar with the male characters trying desperately to flee from her advances? Hilarious. :D

Powers ripping apart clothes and barely leaving bikinis/undewear. Or maybe not. 9_9

• Chichi
  • Bulma
  • Launch
  • N.18
  • Videl
It'd be like Ranma 1/2.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Tue May 15, 2012 8:05 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Reason being; when a male saiyan goes super saiyan or powers up, their muscle mass increases visually, including their chest muscles. So if it were a female saiyan going super saiyan, her boobs should ALSO get much larger in the same way.
Boobs aren't made of muscle. Besides, there are female Super Saiyans in Dragon Ball Online without any problems.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Gokuman1993
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokuman1993 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 pm

soulnova wrote:Gederbent DB could be possible. .

• Chichi
  • Bulma
  • Launch
  • N.18
  • Videl
That's a good idea :D Though, I probably wouldn't make it a "harem" story. In my eyes, it'd be the same as normal Dragon Ball, except all the genders are swapped. But, you're idea is awesome, too :)

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri May 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Bussani wrote:Boobs aren't made of muscle.
Well, some of the stuff I've seen certainly makes it look like it is... :wink:
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sat May 19, 2012 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri May 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Suddenly I'm having thoughts about a female, cock hungry old Roshi.......It can work, right.....? :?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.