Why has Dragonball animation production stopped completely?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:05 am

I wonder who owns the rights to their voices, I mean, can you just take any voice and put it anywhere? Toei probably can't do that.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:05 am

masenko wrote:I wonder who owns the rights to their voices, I mean, can you just take any voice and put it anywhere? Toei probably can't do that.
They definetly own the voice recordings - hell - they probably wouldn't even have to pay the VAs if they spliced the old recordings into a new script.

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:33 am

I just don't want to see a DBGT remake for the 50th anniversary.
Well, what the HFIL (:D ) is wrong with you guys? Even thought DBGT is crap, they should at least make one DBGT anniversary. Yes, for the first and last time, they should make at least one DBGT anniversary.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:34 am

gohanku wrote:Well, what the HFIL (:D ) is wrong with you guys? Even thought DBGT is crap, they should at least make one DBGT anniversary. Yes, for the first and last time, they should make at least one DBGT anniversary.
Just out of curiosity, if you think GT is crap, why would you want them to make an anniversary special for it?

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:22 am

Socar15 wrote:Just out of curiosity, if you think GT is crap, why would you want them to make an anniversary special for it?
I don't think it crap, but everyone else do. GT might have a bad storyline but the humor is funny and the fight screens are good, GT is good in my option but don't burn down my house cause of it.
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift

Post by Ultimate Tofu Guy Drift » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:27 am

The Dragonball story is great, but as much as I would love to see a new series, I think it'd just leave me unfullfilled and would come off as cheap.

We just have to accept that the series has ended and be happy that it ended with so many fans. You don't want it to end (as it almost did with gt) with crappy episodes that make the fans grow tired of it.

What I want is another series that has the same effect on the public and society. A series where everyone gets around the TV to watch episode after episode and talk about the latest episode the next day at school, work etc. A series where our own minds can wonder off and create our own stories. Thats one of the main reasons a lot of people loved the series.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:28 pm

I like the idea of maybe a alternate story. With the same characters and setting but kind of like how they did the movies.

Maybe even have it take place a few years after Goku left with Shenlong and do a few minutes for every character (or group of characters to explain what they did with their lives). Goku could be the final character and the ending could be maybe an entirely new song dedicated to the 25 year revival.

Just some brainstorming. I also like the idea of showing some characters before Dragonball but that wouldn't be appropriate for a 25 anniversary special.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:07 pm

I'd like to see a Path-To-Poweresque (I hereby copyright that word) kind of anniversary movie for DBZ. It could range from Radditz to Freeza.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:34 pm

Dayspring wrote:I'd like to see a Path-To-Poweresque (I hereby copyright that word) kind of anniversary movie for DBZ. It could range from Radditz to Freeza.
Hmm... Nice concept. Something like that would be cool. However, I doubt it would have the "magic," for lack of a better word, that a lot of moments which that part of the story held (i.e. Goku's first SSj transformation), though.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why has Dragonball animation production stopped complete

Post by Mattias » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:48 pm

Xyex wrote:They took the cheaper way of making lots of fast cash. They released the Dragonboxes. They'll probably come up with a new movie for the 25th aniversary.
I doubt it.
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:30 pm

The only thing I would probably appreciate would be a remake like 10 years from now like they do with most classic anime (Mighty Atom, Cyborg 009). Even Doctor Slump got a second cartoon, not actually a remake though, so I think it may be possible for future animation. It would just seem cheap to me if they made a new series.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 pm

I think Toei should make a movie covering the first adventures in DBZ. Maybe a movie that exceeds 1 hour and 1/2. I would love to see it all reanimated with great presentation. Although, it would probably take ten years to see it in America...

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:49 pm

I think the perfect anniversary movie would be a remake from the emergence of Kid Buu to the end of the series. Now that might sound weird but think about it. It would be the perfect opportunity to animate the new manga ending. To me it would be awesome to see the newer, better ending to Z animated and it could serve as a complete replacement of the last 16 episodes of the series. It could use a newly animated WE GOTTA POWER opening with a recap of episode 275 going into the movie, then maybe a new original song with Hironobu Kageyama could play during the credits.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:49 pm

Buu is definitely not a villian fit for a feature film. He has too many arcs to his character as well as changes while villians like Freeza and Cell have only a few transformations. The more I think about it, Dragon Ball will probably never be animated again for a series nor movie. It is out of respect for the series and it's creator that Toei has halted any plans to continue the tale. I created this topic because I hoped that Toei might've tried once or not but now I know that the odds are heavily stacked. Dragon Ball is what we have now, the rest...is up to our imagination.

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:52 am

I think that it is possible that they would go in and do a DBZ 25th anniversary movie, just not probable, (there's a difference.) What I don't get is why so many of you would want to see a remake of things you have already seen? Wouldn't it be more fun to get something completely new for it, like a new movie villian or something? That's the way I would want it, nothing in depth, just something new with characters I know and love in it. And it doesn't necessarily have to tie into GT either IMO.
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:26 pm

Neko Majin OVA.

End of story :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Neko Majin OVA.

*speechless*

"All hail Lord EX" *praises profusely*

t-bone135
Beyond Newbie
Location: Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down. . .

Post by t-bone135 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:11 pm

End of story .
Yes, yes, YES! That's it, that's what needs to be done. It's already got DB characters in it, it's got Toriyama, it's got new characters and villians ... Brilliant EX, absolutely brilliant! :P
Best. Slip 'n' slide. EVER!

Come read my fan-fiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/~tbone135

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:30 pm

For real or not? I'm not sure if you're serious since Neko Majin and NMZ are two different stories.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:41 am

Yeah, I've also mentioned that I want this a couple of times before.