Episode #0014 (19 February 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShadowAssailantX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowAssailantX » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:29 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:Who the fuck do you think you are waltzing in here & giving me commands like I am some sort of dog. I'm entitled to my opinions just as much as you are.
No you're not.
So zetta slow

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:41 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:Who the fuck do you think you are waltzing in here & giving me commands like I am some sort of dog. I'm entitled to my opinions just as much as you are.
Who tells a dog to "shut up"?

Besides, you've given your opinion - that you like the English Trunks better. No one argues that.

Your argument that the JP Trunks sounds mean all the time is wrong. You don't put forth any new facts to back up your argument, youy use the same wrong facts to try and prove your point.

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:46 am

Who tells a dog to "shut up"?
You must not have dogs. :lol:
Your argument that the JP Trunks sounds mean all the time is wrong.
Opinions on opiniated topics cannot be wrong.
You don't put forth any new facts to back up your argument, youy use the same wrong facts to try and prove your point.
Same as I said above, there are no facts when speaking of what a personal interpritation (sp.) of a character's voice is.
No you're not.
Once I ascend, my first objective shall be to exterminate your pathetic existence. You're the type that does not deserve opinions, people like you are the type that make people leave Forum life. I hope you burn in hell.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

ShadowAssailantX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowAssailantX » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:12 am

Great Saiyaman wrote:Once I ascend, my first objective shall be to exterminate your pathetic existence. You're the type that does not deserve opinions, people like you are the type that make people leave Forum life. I hope you burn in hell.
I didn't know that posting in forums was a lifestyle of it's own for some people. So I guess when I insulted you by pointing out your stupidity I ruined your "forum life". If this is the case I'm really sorry. Sorry that I didn't comment sooner that is.

As Desire stated before, you don't put forth any new facts to back up your argument, you use the same wrong facts to try and prove your point. If this is all you have to contribute to a topic, please cease posting!

Just in case you still don't understand, lets recap and look at a few choice comments you made:
You believe that voices are facts just becase you know Japaneese?
What? Yes, if you can understand what they're saying, then you can consider it factual...
EX, I'm not trying to insult you here, but this is why a lot of people always & still do hate you. You believe something on the topic of a complete opinion to be a fact when it's simply not & never will be.
You definitely insulted Mike, and on a completely false basis to boot.
But please do not say that I don't know what I am talking about. I do know what I am talking about.
Once you have to start defending yourself by telling people you do know what you're talking about, then you know you're wrong.
I am an avid Trunks fan, I should know which voice is better suiting.
Are you trying to say that because you're a better fan than he is, your opinion is right and his is wrong? I just love your reasoning skills.

If it's people like me that cause idiots like you to stop posting in forums, then I think that there should be more people like me. I'm not trying to sound concieted, I just hate you that much. :)

You know, this hasn't been used in a while, but I think it's appropriate here:

So zetta slow

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:23 am

Great Saiyaman, you've taken things completely out of perspective, and haven't actually read in-depth what I've said. Furthermore, you've come back to me with an attitude that wasn't even remotely present in my posts.

Not once did I say anything about not liking a voice, or not finding a voice fitting for the character. I've stated time and time again that I like both the English and Japanese voices, and I find them both fitting. We're pointing out *differences*, and I can say for a fact that you're missing the nuances we're talking about with the Japanese performance.

Pulling the "this is why everyone hates you" card is really a shot in the dark. I'm not 16 anymore.

desirecampbell & ShadowAssailantX, I am appalled that you think you can post these kinds of comments on my forum, nevermind the podcast area.

All three of you are acting like immature children, and I do not appreciate you putting off these kinds of personas in such a section of the forum. What kind of impression are you giving the people that might wander in here after checking out the podcast? Will they want to listen again? Will they want to join in this community? Absolutely not. I can't even begin to fathom what kind of damage something like this might cause the show.

All three of you are temporarily banned. I have no idea when I might undo this ban, or if I will at all.

If this conversation reverts back to any of the topics discussed by these three people in reference to these three people, I will immediately delete the posts. I am completely in shock at how you people feel you can act. It is a show for children, but that doesn't mean you need to act like one.

I apologize to all of our listeners on behalf of these individuals, and let it be known that your thoughts and opinions and more welcome than it otherwise might appear.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:03 am

I'd like to just lighten the mood here by saying that my Dad tells my dog to shut up all the time.

Either way, I agree with Mike in that the two voices are different interpretations of the character and both are fitting. I actually like both Japanese and English voice actors for a lot of characters, even though many of them play the characters different ways.

(Though, I have to say, Japanese Freeza is much better than English Frieza, but I don't think anyone argues with that.)

And for the record, when it comes to interpretations of how a character speaks in the Japanese version, I'm going to trust what Mike and Julian have to say, seeing as they know Japanese (more or less) and I don't (yet).

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:04 pm

Kirbopher wrote:FUNimation does voice auditions for their characters by picture, not to video or to comparison of the original Japanese voice.
Really? That sounds horrible. I've got a picture in my head of some mean lookin' Super Saiyan Goku poster, and FUNi hiring some gruff warrior voice for our hero. Then the gold hair falls down and happy Goku is ruined by a man who can't do a silly voice for him.

Huh... would they have a picture of a laid back Goku next to an SSJ poster? "The voice you give Goku has to be capable of this variation"? I wonder.

SpaceKappa
Regular

Post by SpaceKappa » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Getting back to white Mike said about dub Trunks sounding forced, I think it's a common problem with American cartoons when they try to make someone sound gruff. Nobody has a natural speaking voice like that, so you KNOW they're forcing it. That's one of the great things about Takeshi Kusao. Trunks in Japanese sounds like it's just someone speaking normally. You could walk down the street in Japan and hear that voice (not necessarily the way he speaks, mind you, just that kind of voice).

That's really the problem I have with the majority of the dub voices I've heard. They just don't sound natural at all, Chris Sabat's voices especially. Now, some characters are SUPPOSED to have unnatural voices (ie Perfect Cell), but for the human/Saiyajin characters, I think it works best if their voices sound a bit more grounded in reality.

Saiya-jin
Banned

Post by Saiya-jin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:08 pm

I think that the JP Freezer sounds really funny. The American Sounds like a girl. I thought he was at first.*snicker, snicker

As for Trunks, I think they both sound fine.

chronocross
Not-So-Newbie

Awesome Podcast

Post by chronocross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:41 pm

I finished listening to all the podcast. They were great. So i was thiking, it realyl seems that you guys like to Karaoke, and i like the music. Why don't you guys do a poll if the audience would like to listen to a karaoke section. And then if they really are into it, maybe make a list of what the audience would like to listen on the karaoke. I
It would be really fun and i would definately listen to it :D
I aim to misbehave

the_abberration
Regular

Post by the_abberration » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:16 pm

Just now heard the podcast. Excellent as always. I was pleasently suprised but also got a kick out of hearing what everyone's favorite Freeza dub line was. :D

What always perplexed me about that line, was how it got past the censors. You can't say "die" but "caressing balls" is okay. I still think what Freeza said about if Ginyu were a dog or cat deserves honorable mention.

Also, I too feel "gay" is a little strong as well. For lack of better terms, I would describe Freeza as "slightly infeminate" or as used in today's world "metrosexual". Again, it struck me as odd why the dub went in this direction with Freeza, when they clearly danced around it in Dragonball with General Blue (who was gay).

Finally, after hearing your description of the JP version of Freeza with his polite yet threatning tone, it seemed as though you were describing David Carusso from CSI: Miami. :D

Just my skewed view. Cheers!!
1 Corinthians 13: When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Except the anime. Never the anime.

"Look. I'm not allowed to hold you, but I'm sworn to protect you"-Sergeant Hatred

The Lineup: Danger Mouse

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:01 pm

It's been a while since I've seen the RRA episodes, but the way they did Gen. Blue, it was obvious that he was gay. His tone of voice made him sound more gay IMO than Frieza did. As for the caressing balls line, I think it's one of those subtle things that you may not notice at first until later. I know when Goku was reading the material Old Man Roshi gave him, I didn't notice it sounded a little dirty until I hears someone else mention it and I looked at it again and then realized it.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:41 pm

Zackarotto wrote:
Kirbopher wrote:FUNimation does voice auditions for their characters by picture, not to video or to comparison of the original Japanese voice.
Really? That sounds horrible. I've got a picture in my head of some mean lookin' Super Saiyan Goku poster, and FUNi hiring some gruff warrior voice for our hero. Then the gold hair falls down and happy Goku is ruined by a man who can't do a silly voice for him.

Huh... would they have a picture of a laid back Goku next to an SSJ poster? "The voice you give Goku has to be capable of this variation"? I wonder.
-_-;; That's, not really the case.

Vaeran

Post by Vaeran » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:49 am

I'm a little late here, but I just listened to the podcast tonight and I LOVED the in-depth discussion and analysis of the characters' speech mannerisms. Great work guys, lots of fascinating stuff here.

So I got to thinking about Trunks' formal style of speech and where he might have picked that up - his world probably doesn't have much left in the way of formal schooling, what with the Androids turning cities into craters every time you turn around. One of you (EX?) offered the theory that he's so respectful towards the Z Senshi because he's been brought up to revere them as near-legendary. That makes a lot of sense, but I think there might be another element here as well... Son Gohan was Trunks' hero and role model up until his death, and Gohan's speech is that of a polite, well-educated person. It may be that Trunks has adopted a similar manner of speaking to emulate the person he looked up to for so long. Just a thought.

(Oh, and as a gay male, I wasn't offended in the least by the use of the term when discussing Freeza. So no worries! :D )

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:57 am

I absolutely loved this episode! The discussion on the different ways of speaking was just amazingly well done. Thank you guys! I started thinking that maybe Piccolo would be a good character to examine in terms of speaking. I don't know for sure, and maybe Julian could answer this, but I'd imagine he'd change the way he spoke through the length of the series. From being the son and reincarnation of the Great Demon King, to being a hero and developing bonds with other characters... I would assume a change would be in order, neh?