"We're warriors, not ballerinas!" - Dub Movie 12

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Link doesn't work. Therefore, I cannot help :).
Can you not download it, or what? If it's a problem with downloading I can send it to you or host it my self.

It really sounds like "ashooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooole!"

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:14 pm

It does sound like he's saying "ASSHOLE DA NA!" or something to that effect.
Where's the beef?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:17 pm

I'm 99% sure I hear "ahô" in there. And Steve translated it as "You big lamebrain!" So yeah.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:21 pm

I think it's quite evident now that you use a mac...

That's why I asked if it could be a similar word ^_^; I know that happens... *lives in a foreign country to her own* so it's ahô huh? Well, *cheesy grin* at-least my hallucination was mass-hallucination!
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:31 pm

Nekoni wrote:I think it's quite evident now that you use a mac...
Uhh... what? Who? Not I. Honestly, the link wasn't working when I first tried it.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:52 pm

Ahh my psychic powers are really off today. I think I might need some sugar...

WMV files are hated by macs. *has real problems with it* So I kinda' thought you had a mac Mr Exy ^_^;

I've heard nothing more on movie12 but the fact that everyone seems to have got free merchandise... Makes me sad the nearest cinema showing it is across the atlantic ocean!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:24 pm

Nekoni, to get this out of the way, you're a cutie.

*hates being sick, says out-of-character things that are reserved for the chat room*

Regarding curses in the Japanese version, the fansub I have on my hard-drive has a pretty decent translation from what I could tell, and there were just some common "Hell" and "Damn/Dammit" instances. I think the only time a Japanese VA is gonna curse in plain English is when he or she is portraying an English raised person (Pegasus J. Crawford from Yu-Gi-Oh! for example). Also, I don't know why some of you guys are making such a big deal out of dub changes, I mean it's not supposed to be a direct translation by any means, it's an adaptation-reversioning. What I'm personally gonna focus on when I get the DVD is Daimao's translation for the Japanese version. Now I just need $10, gave half the money I needed to my Mother to send a certain package to B-kun.

Now if you guys will excuse me, I'm going to lay down. ;-(
14 years later

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:39 am

Pikuhan actually stated "あほんだら" (Ahondara)...well, from what I heard. It's a general term meaning many things. (Such as: fool, doofus, oaf, airhead, lamebrain, stupid, idiot, dullard, etc, etc...) But it generally means a very stupid guy.
I think the only time a Japanese VA is gonna curse in plain English is when he or she is portraying an English raised person (Pegasus J. Crawford from Yu-Gi-Oh! for example).
"Goddamn!"

Let's not forget Rebecca. She's a little smart mouthed 12 year old. :D

Ooo, and Samurai Champloo Episode 23 was filled with English cursing.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote: ジータ (bejîta) + 悟 (goku) = ベク (beku)
Speaking of said character, am I the only one who seems to hear Dai Kaiô saying "Biku"? I know that wouldn't make any sense, but I've played the scene over and over again, and that's what I hear. I'm very puzzled!

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:48 pm

Tatsunoboshi Horoko wrote:Pikuhan actually stated "あほんだら" (Ahondara)...well, from what I heard. It's a general term meaning many things. (Such as: fool, doofus, oaf, airhead, lamebrain, stupid, idiot, dullard, etc, etc...) But it generally means a very stupid guy.
I think the only time a Japanese VA is gonna curse in plain English is when he or she is portraying an English raised person (Pegasus J. Crawford from Yu-Gi-Oh! for example).
"Goddamn!"

Let's not forget Rebecca. She's a little smart mouthed 12 year old. :D

Ooo, and Samurai Champloo Episode 23 was filled with English cursing.
...and Count Zap from the Megaman series XD;

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Ooo! I loved Count Elec! His Engrish is the absolute best.

"IT'S AMAJING!!"

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:39 pm

I picked up the movie at work today and watched it on a widescreen hi-definition television at home. The movie itself looked great. I enjoyed it much more than the cheap fansub I used to have of it.

The only thing in the whole movie that upset me was during the part where Goku is trying to convince Vegeta to fuse with him. Perhaps it was just my old fansub, but didn't when Goku kneeled next to Vegeta he say that he was a saiyan warrior asking for the help of his Prince? I always found that to be the most poignant of moments during that scene of convincing. It was not in this dub version at all. It was the only thing that felt left out.

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:09 pm

RATS!!! *holds up her french dub* that's it, it's official, French dub succeeded in keeping the lines better than FUNi's dub! *keels*

That really stinks if they removed the prince line! (the sub I have says 'that's the kind of saiya-jin pride I expect from my prince') but then, FUNi did already spoil it by having inserted adressals of 'prince' into the series, I doubt it'd have had such a 'POW!' factor anyway.

Oh, sorry for my insane attention on this thread, however Movie12 is my favourite, so much I could draw the scenes out fully in my head, recite plot and lines... and am gonna' be talking about -a lot- on my journal and fusions club. *pulls a face* I do have another question though. Does it come in pal?

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:51 pm

If you have seen this dubbed in English:

Does Paikuhun curse??
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Well, you have to understand. He didn't really curse in the Japanese version either. :D

Supa Burori

Post by Supa Burori » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:18 pm

In the version of Movie 12 that I have, Pikkon does curse. He curses quite a bit. It's the same thing with my version of Movie 13, maybe it's an Anime Labs thing. I guess they just love to curse as much as possible
Part of the Star Wars Revolution Staff Team.

http://sw-rev.net/forums/index.php

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:23 pm

That is an Anime Labs thing. That fansub group is notorious for putting in swear words all over the place where there aren't supposed to be any.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:25 pm

w0rd. For those who may be new and haven't seen it:

http://www.daizex.com/guides/rumors/fan ... ogue.shtml

Supa Burori

Post by Supa Burori » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:34 pm

First off, thanks to whoever edited my post and putting Paikuhan's Japanese name in. I forgot it lol

Secondly, WOW Mike, that article is an eye opener. That actually does explain a lot. I have a fansub of the "Gotenks Saga." It's actually the series of episodes when Gotenks fights Super Buu in the Room of Spirit and Time. Gotenks was cursing like crazy and I could figure out why. Now I know, it's because Anime Labs dubbed those episodes. Thanks for the info Mike.
Part of the Star Wars Revolution Staff Team.

http://sw-rev.net/forums/index.php

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:19 am

Just saw the 10:00 P.M. Dallas showing.

Pretty darn slick. Great t-shirts, good snacks (okay that wasn't complimentary), and a pretty awesome presentation overall. The Return of Cooler dub didn't seem as bad as I remembered it, but the Movie 12 dub was pretty snazzy. The music wasn't anything too great, but that's a given.

I'm just mad I didn't get the trivia question right for the free poster..."what two animated films were Robert Zemeckis involved in?" As if I could have remembered Polar Express and Who Framed Roger Rabbit at that moment.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the aspect ratio. They didn't clip off the top and bottom to make it fit the screen, but they didn't stretch it either. I'm pretty sure that's already been mentioned, but I'm bringing it back up because it kind of surprised me. Are they unaware that the movies have been made to fit a widescreen ratio?