Why didn't they choose Lucifer over Hеrcule for Mr. Satan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Why didn't they choose Lucifer over Hеrcule for Mr. Satan?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:41 pm

In whatever you believe, Lucifer would have been a better replacement name than Hеrcule which made it obviously what to expect from the character, muscular, that Mr. Satan is.

I'm not religious but according to what I've read Lucifer was simply tired of following orders from God which made him turn rebel and therefore, he's seen as evil, well this kind of reminds me of dictators.

But well, it's too late now, Hеrcule is what Mr. Satan's known as through the video games, French/Portuguese/English/etc dubs and merchandise overall. Although, Mr. Satan is used widely which means it has more popularity than Hеrcule.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: Why didn't they chose Lucifer than Hеrcule for Mr. Satan

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:46 pm

That's probably a bit too on the mark. Not to mention it just doesn't fit. Mr. Satan works because it sounds like ring name for a wrestler. Even as much as I despise Hercule, it perfectly encapsulates the character with the ironic reference. Lucifer, on the other hand, does not.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Lucifer is more of a villain's name as well. Hercule sounds more heroic as he presents himself.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Well, aside from the fact that they'd already dubbed a Dragon Ball movie whose villain was named Lucifer, having a character named Lucifer would "offend" all the same people who would have been offended by a character named Mr. Satan, so there wouldn't have been any point of changing it if they were just going to change it to an equivalent.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Or maybe Mr. satin? :lol:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:02 pm

In addition to the reasons already listed, it was also a lip-flap issue, I would guess.

Satan is two syllables (since they often just call him that without the Mister in front of it), 'Sa-tan'. The 'H-word' (man this filter gets old) is also two syllables, 'Her-cule'. So replacing the former with the latter was pretty easy in the recording process probably.

Lucifer on the other hand, is three syllables, 'Lu-ci-fer', so it wouldn't have worked nearly as nicely there.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:04 pm

They should have changed his name to "Mister Samson", and Videl's name to "Delilah".

OK, maybe not.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:12 pm

I kinda like that Herms actually. Although Delilah wouldn't have worked with the syllables

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:16 pm

I agree with Gaffer Tape, both names have the same meaning, so both were probably no good for a children's TV show here in the US. I remember in early US merchandise though, his name was Mr. Savage. I was kinda OK with that knowing full well his name was probably gonna be changed in the dub when they got to that point. I don't know what made them abandon that and go with the French dub's name for him.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 pm

I always forget about the Mr. Savage thing. Not that I have any particular issues with Her-cule, but I do wish they'd gone with that in retrospect. It's somewhat similar to his original name phonetically, has the right syllables, and would have been slightly more accepted by and large I'd guess.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I always forget about the Mr. Savage thing. Not that I have any particular issues with Her-cule, but I do wish they'd gone with that in retrospect. It's somewhat similar to his original name phonetically, has the right syllables, and would have been slightly more accepted by and large I'd guess.
Yea, I think because at least "Mr. Savage" sounds like a stage name, which is what "Mr.Satan" is. It's all in the same vain.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Wasn't Funimation at on point talking about Randy 'Macho Man' Savage (RIP) doing his voice, or was that made up?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Retan wrote:Wasn't Funimation at on point talking about Randy 'Macho Man' Savage (RIP) doing his voice, or was that made up?
I'm pretty sure that was made up just now for this very topic. :lol:

OK, seriously though, I've never heard of that. It might have been a rumor back in the day, I'm just unfamiliar with it. I think the closest thing they got to a celebrity voice actor was the guy who did Chubacca's voice (growl?). He was in the dub of the DBGT TV Special.
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 pm

First I've heard of the Randy Savage thing too. It could be a legit 'rumor' at least, but I'd guess no more than that - like all the pretty popular live-action-movie-casting rumors from back in the day.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I think the closest thing they got to a celebrety voice actor was the guy who did Chubacca's voice. He was in the dub of the DBGT TV Special.
I forget who it was, but there was also a professional baseball player that played the baseball coach in one of the early Boo arc episodes (the one where Gohan is trying to be 'normal' by holding back, and fails utterly). The story I always heard (from Kyle Hebert I believe) was that the baseball player's son was a fan, so he got him a tour, and while they were there, a director (Sabat I'd guess) asked if he'd like to play a small role that they happened to have available.

Not to go even further off topic, but I've always been curious about the Chewbacca guy doing a voice in that special - did we ever hear how that even came about? Was he a fan and in town at the time, or what? :shock:
Twitter

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Yea, I think because at least "Mr. Savage" sounds like a stage name, which is what "Mr.Satan" is. It's all in the same vain.
Keeping the "Mister" in the name also helps because of course the good Majin Boo starts calling himself "Mister Boo" after becoming Mister Satan's (so-called) disciple at the end of the series. This doesn't make sense if you change Mister Satan's name to something without "mister" in it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:35 pm

I swear I wasn't the one who made it up honest. This was even before what's his face the guy who play Fred in scooby doo was rumored for adult Gohan. But maybe I made up that one up in my head too. I'm so confused.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why didn't they choose Lucifer over Hеrcule for Mr. Sata

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:59 am

I dunno, because they are affraid of hell in America and Lucifer is same as Satan?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:56 am

That's even worse than Mr. Satan, lmao.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:31 am

It won't work since the US has too many religious people. I don't mind the name "Hercule" since it does fit his character in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 am

They clearly wanted to avoid religious references.