"Kai-ifying" the original Dragon Ball

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

"Kai-ifying" the original Dragon Ball

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 pm

If you were to go through the first Dragon Ball series and give it the Kai treatment, what filler would you leave in?

More specifically, how much of the Pilaf filler would you leave in from the first thirteen episode arc? In the manga, we don't see Pilaf until a bit late in the story, if I remember correctly (I may be wrong?) In that case, the Pilaf-filler might actually work better for the story from an episodic point of view, as we are introduced to the main villain of the arc early on, which also gives more weight to our main plot-line, making it that much more important that they locate the Dragon Balls.

Alternatively, do you think all of the filler is a waste of time and should be axed?
Last edited by IAmTheMilkMan on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Kai-ifying" the original Dragon Ball

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

there isn't much filler to begin with and what's there doesn't effect the story in a negative way like the z filler did so i don't think we need a kai version of the show but an upscale to hd would be nice
Last edited by sintzu on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm

I'd keep anything with Pilaf and his crew.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:21 pm

sintzu wrote:there isn't much filler to begin with and what's there doesn't effect the story in a negative way like the z filler did so i don't think we need a kai version of the show but an upscale to hd would be nice
Red Ribbon Arm Saga says otherwise.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:51 pm

There's the first couple episodes of the Red Ribbon Army arc and the stuff at the amusement park, but I can't think of any other big filler moments. For the record, I enjoy the amusement park episode.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:27 pm

The anime made Colonel Silver a pretty awesome villain so I'd definitely leave everything with him in there.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:33 pm

The original TV series is paced pretty damn well, honestly. It's slower than the manga, of course, but to go in and just start lopping things off because they're not in the manga would really be the wrong way to go about it. That's easier to do in Z where the filler's just out of control.

I would strategically do my best to shorten any lengthened manga scenes, remove any odd, obvious padding like the random cuts to Kame House throughout the the Red Ribbon arc, and completely excise the Wedding Dress arc. I'd consolidate the Solo Training arc into maybe a narrated montage, much like Kai did to pre-Z flashbacks.

(it doesn't really need it like Z, though)
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Dragon Ball ends perfectly after the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. As much as I love Pilaf, the wedding dress arc is weak. The narrated montage is an interesting idea, but I would kinda miss the episode where Kuririn and co. stop the volcano. It's one of the few moments where someone besides Goku shines.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:49 pm

As far as the Pilaf filler from the first arc goes, that is one of the rare instances where I think the filler actually really helps and makes for a stronger story. Therefore, I would be hard pressed to lose any of it.

The first thirteen episodes always worked pretty well for me; however, I do think there is room to cut filler later on. Admittedly, I haven't seen all of the anime, but from what I have seen, I think the series could benefit from trimming some of that filler fat. It wouldn't benefit as much as Z, mind you, but I still think it would help.

For instance, the entire solo training arc made me want to scratch my face off; I would get rid of it completely. Fortunately, that's an easy one to get rid of, because all one needs to do is simply skip those episodes.
B wrote:I would strategically do my best to shorten any lengthened manga scenes, remove any odd, obvious padding like the random cuts to Kame House throughout the the Red Ribbon arc, and completely excise the Wedding Dress arc. I'd consolidate the Solo Training arc into maybe a narrated montage, much like Kai did to pre-Z flashbacks.
This is, basically, the way I would go about it. Nothing overly excessive, but I would do my best to tighten it up because, again, I think it could use it.

But that's just my opinion. Is it something that Toei should do? No, it's not necessary. Will they do it? No, absolutely not. It's fun to think about, though.

Now, what does need to happen, badly, is that Funimation needs to go back, re-script, and re-dub the entire original series with the same care and effort that they put into Kai. Sadly, the chances of this happening are slim to none, but it's on my wish-list.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:26 pm

I don't see how they put any less effort or care into Dragon Ball's dub.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:27 pm

The only interest I would have is the possibility of a dub by Funimation. I would also love to hear an Ocean dub just to hear Scott McNeil as Piccolo Daimao.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Nikkolas wrote:I don't see how they put any less effort or care into Dragon Ball's dub.
Well, it's not really "see," but "hear." The script is altered and changed constantly, subpar acting is abound, and the opening and ending animations are flubbed up. Though, that last one's not really their fault and actually is a "see" problem.

You can pretty much pick any scene at random and it's got some dumb joke changing completely inoffensive dialog. And that actually brings another problem, the sex/toilet humor is toned down significantly in the dub. I get the excuse of putting it on TV, but a DVD release is not TV.

But, uhm, Kai-ing Dragon Ball... my interest in that would exclusively be in a brand new, accurate dub. The Japanese version as it is is untouchable.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:32 pm

Well Yu Yu Hakusho is my favorite dub ever done by Funi so I guess I just don't see a problem with rewritten scripts so long as the characters and plot aren't altered.

As for acting, Sabat, Burgmeier, McFarland and every other voice still around by Kai were about as good as they're ever gonna get by the time they dubbed DB. I know I came to love Burgmeier's Tenshinhan because of DB. (Okay maybe Sabat has improved but I thought he did a fine job as Piccolo Daimao. And his Ma Junior...yeah, that was kinda bad)

I guess Nadolny and Vollmer being replaced would make a lot of people happy. And maybe Kid Krillin's voice too? Meh. Your Mileage May Vary I guess but I just can't imagine Kid Goku defeating King Piccolo without Nadolny.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 am

Nikkolas wrote:I guess Nadolny and Vollmer being replaced would make a lot of people happy.
That's one of the main problems. The two main characters who deliver a rather significant amount of dialog sound terrible to my ears (Vollmer acting-wise, and Nadolny all-around ear-bleedage.) That, coupled with the crummy script, ruin it for me.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:37 am

I'd be for it, haha. Wonder what Japan would call it? I'm sure here it would get re-branded as Dragon Ball Kai and use the original Japanese (Z) Kai logo. I love that Kai has basically become a synonym for redub.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Mmmmm I actually like Dragon ball the way it is, I welcomed everything new in dbz, music, reanimated scenes, and I got angry when it switched to Kikuchi's music.

But i wouldn't change the music in Dragon Ball for ANYTHING. neither the anime itself or the filler, I would watch it and enjoy it, but Dragon ball has a soft spot in my heart. it's innocence (except for roshi lol) it's honesty, it's fantasy like setting is so enchanting, In my opinion, a bad move would ruin it easier than dbz.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:22 pm

I'd be for it.

I'd cut some of the Red Ribbon and Piccolo Daimao arcs. I like the idea of the Solo Training of Goku's before the 22nd Budokai as some montage clip and cut the Wedding arc completely.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:25 am

As much as I generally like the Pilaf filler, I'd get rid of that dumb pinball thing. Hell, the entire segment at Pilaf's castle is really drawn out and could use some trimming.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:10 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:I'd be for it.

I'd cut some of the Red Ribbon and Piccolo Daimao arcs. I like the idea of the Solo Training of Goku's before the 22nd Budokai as some montage clip and cut the Wedding arc completely.
Maybe Cutting some of it, but Showing Grandpa Gohan giving his blessing to Goku for his wedding is awesome. I think it would be cool to cut most of it, only showing Goku asking about the fan, then going to the place where he meets grandpa Gohan again, then goes to put out the fire and it ends with the wedding. all that in one episode would be nice In my opinion.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm

I didn't really like that episode where Tien went apologizing to his victims..