DragonBall Remake - Which would you like (if any)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Eat Snow
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eat Snow » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:00 am

I'd go for E. I don't really like having to write a paragraph of the personality of someone based solely on a single quote. I did that a lot with Colonel Yellow on my site. But in any case, yeah, the character need to be fleshed out more, especially the villains. I think it would be great to see something from the villains point of view instead of Goku's, but it would be a cold day in Hell when that happened.
Assassins showing no regard for life
Tied around their arm
A red ribbon.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:55 am

I would like the see either the "No Filler" version or I would like to see a "Best Battles Retold" DVD. That fight between Goku and Freeza that was supposed to last five minutes? Well, in this version, it would be five actual minutes of the biggest fight in the entire Universe at that point in Dragonball history. No standing around. No additional monolouges. Nothing.

Boom! Goku shows up and Vegeta dies. Goku fights Frieza and gets is butt handed to him. He makes the Spirit Bomb and knocks him upside the head. Then Krillin dies.

Goku goes Super Saiyan.

Goku takes the offense and kicks some major Frieza tail. Frieza throws the Death Ball into Namek and the five-minute nonstop action ensues. Think about cramming five whole minutes of the most action-packed fast-paced Dragonball-style martial arts with today's animation.

All-in-all, the whole Goku vs. Frieza thing might be long enough to contend with some of the movies in terms of length with the most climatic points being Goku turning Super Saiyan for the first time and after Frieza throws the Death Ball into the planet. It just does nothing but build up and get more exciting until Goku's scream as Namek is exploding.

Roll credits.

[edit]Or even better yet, something like Project: Doomrider but at the length of a feature-length Dragonball film as to get the best out of every fight.[/edit]
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:36 am

I'd say a remake based strictly on the manga would be awesome, although I see it highly unlikely. They'd be better off picking up from where Path to Power started or making a new batch of movies altogether.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:46 am

ngnikolaos wrote:
Domon wrote:Well, let's look at the options.
The writers/director of such a series could still choice to remake certain filler episodes(like the driving episode), or make up their own for whatever reason(such as for fun or a change of pace).
Not so if they would make a short (for DB) series, for example, a DBZ saga that goes 50 episodes tops. They would have little room for driving lesson episodes and the like. However, if they would go for 100+ eps, it's a whole different tale....
They couldn't possibily condense DBZ into 50 episodes(I assume you intend to have all of the manga material intact). Even in its manga form, DBZ is a loooooooooooong series. 100 episodes is more doable.

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:23 am

I'm gonna express myself, so sorry if I offend anyone here. The japanese market is different from the market in America. Let's get to the point, Japan uses a weekly timeframe for manga and anime. It's not that they plan 50 to 100 episodes for a series and then they move on. It's all about popularity. Dragonball the manga lasted so long becuase it was like the japanese equivalent of US superman. It was an icon and, since the anime was following the manga very closely it's why it was also popular.Also, to note that onlike in America in Japan it is very unlikely that they dare change in a remake the contents of the story, especially since Dragonball is a legend for them. Even the Neko Majin series is nothing but gag manga like Toriyama's Dr.Slump . I hope i cleared that for you. If you didnt understand it please post a replay asking me to explain it more clearly 8)
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!

Nekoni
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nekoni » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:38 pm

C sounds like an interesting option, but someone with a video capture, DBZ dvds and a basic video editing program would be perfectly capable of doing that.

E... That kind of takes away from the fast paced-ness of DBZ. Do you know how MANY characters there are? I have a poster in my room with them all. I'd estimate around 300? =/ I wouldn't be able to withstand Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Gohan-level descriptions.

I'd have to go for a different option... new series or movies. WITHOUT taking away the characters we love and treassure... (in escence, plot-holes are bearable and all, as-long as it's in-character.)
http://nekoni.deviantart.com Your friendly neighbourhood artist.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:52 pm

I say DB remake in a couple years because it's just about old enough for that. I would personally just like to see dragonball with better pacing and animation so people wouldn't have that lousy complaint anymore. However, it would really burn me if they tried remaking it in Toriyama's more modern style or in the style of GT. I would prefer they remain loyal to his older style because that's part of the show's charm. I know this is unlikely to happen and seems kind of pointless but it would make me happier than any other remake options.

I wouldn't want a more character based series remake because part of what I like about Dragonball is that it is more plot based and flows "like life" (I venture) rather than the whole getting into their angsty little heads like a lot of other animes of the day. I love the characters but they have meaning to me because their actions and dialogue really flesh them out. I don't like it when animes just hand you an explicit fixed platter of what to expect from (one of my problems with naruto...).
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:06 pm

Cut 90% of the filler and clean up the drawings.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:41 pm

Eh, I'm either for a new movie/OVA or choice C
theoriginalbilis wrote:But... Option E comes in where maybe during low parts of the story arcs or inbetween story arcs I would like to see character-related stories. It's filler, but these fillers serve a purpose, getting to know the characters.
Oh! they should have option E in between the sagas, to get a good flow between sagas (EX: the whatever # of year gaps before the Anroids, Cell Games, and Great Saiyaman). Maybe even have some ToriBot in the anime for once (you only see him in the manga :x). That would be pretty cool, since the filler wouldn't go on a completely different limb.
Kendamu wrote:I would like the see either the "No Filler" version or I would like to see a "Best Battles Retold" DVD. That fight between Goku and Freeza that was supposed to last five minutes? Well, in this version, it would be five actual minutes of the biggest fight in the entire Universe at that point in Dragonball history. No standing around. No additional monolouges. Nothing.
It would be pretty funny to see that while Goku and Freeza fight, ToriBot would walk up to the viewers and put up a timer counting down how long until the five minutes are up.

My guess is that if some American company ever gets the rights to make their own DB thing (I mean making a completely new DB thing, not just doing a redub), then that's when we'll get something new around here.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

kevin449

Post by kevin449 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:25 am

It's it even possible to one company have a new licence to make a series like DB while Toei has a series of there own? Please explain, I'm already seeing the future and an a idea that about what I will study in college :lol:
Goku:HYAAAH!
Buu:Haa...Haaa
Vegeta:What the hell is going on here?

Sorry for this,it's my attempt at humor.
Hahaha!