Bruce Faulconer vs. the rest...

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue May 23, 2006 11:45 pm

Oh they also recycled music from the Monster Rancher dub too. >>
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Wed May 24, 2006 12:02 am

Well, Shuki Levy did do the music for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, in actuality, I found only a few of Faulconer's songs to be pretty cool, the 'Final Flash' scene with Vegeta vs. Cell, and the SSj3 power up song. Those are the only two I like. That music they have blaring in the background during those 'supposed-to-be-silent' stare down scenes is damn annoying.

However, I so like Shuki Levy's take on DBZ, from what I saw a glimpse of on Cartoon Network lately (I haven't watched that dub in such a long long time).

And I dunno, but I like the UUE music Mark Menza did. It's actually background music, and not distracting. I also like the opening theme he did for the movies (which ones, I'm not sure).

All in all, Japanese score is my favorite.

firen

Post by firen » Wed May 24, 2006 12:56 am

Haha ya well i see I'm the one of the few here who likes Faulconer. The reason i guess i like is work is that i grew up with that version of DBZ and never actually had a chance to experience any other dubs or even the original. :wink:

Oh and i know i sound like a broken record but i have to ask this once more. Where can i get the Ocean Studios dubbed version of the DVDs? I really want to find out first hand why people feel the Ocean Studios version is so great! If i can't find the Ocean Studios one, I think I will try to get the orginial, uncut, uncensored full blown Dragonball Z Box Set if it has subtitles. The problem is I hope the subtitles won't take away from the viewing experience.

= )

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Wed May 24, 2006 3:14 pm

I love Bruce Faulconer. Sure, the Japanese music is the best, but I do like the tunes that Faulconer comes up with. It's sure a lot better than Menza's and the stuff on the UUEs.

*Disclaimer: The above post is opiniated. Nobody is obligated to agree with me.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Wed May 24, 2006 10:20 pm

yeah, I wouldn't agree, I personally found Menza's work in the uncut edition to be more musical and carry the spirit of the show better than Faulconer's. Though I hated his work in GT, ugh.
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Wed May 24, 2006 10:20 pm

firen wrote:If any of you have the Falcouner dub watch episode 169 "Children of Cell Attack" where 16 tells Mr. Satan/Mr.Satan to go and throw his head near the fighters and then where Android 16 gives gohan the speech to final unleash his powers and some of you will see what I mean when i see Faulconer adds emotion to his music
Ahem, you mean episode 184 don't you? ;)

And when comparing this scene you mention with the original japanese version of it, it's hard to agree with the statement above.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 24, 2006 11:36 pm

Adnan wrote:And when comparing this scene you mention with the original japanese version of it, it's hard to agree with the statement above.
I agree. I've watched both. I wanted to rip my ears out when I heard the BGM (as well as all the unecessary, crappy dialogue) compared to the Japanese (especially at Gohan's SSj2 ascension; nothing tops "Spirit vs Spirit" in that scene).
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

firen

Post by firen » Thu May 25, 2006 10:32 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Adnan wrote:And when comparing this scene you mention with the original japanese version of it, it's hard to agree with the statement above.
I agree. I've watched both. I wanted to rip my ears out when I heard the BGM (as well as all the unecessary, crappy dialogue) compared to the Japanese (especially at Gohan's SSj2 ascension; nothing tops "Spirit vs Spirit" in that scene).
The original Japense one has better BGM for that scene? Awesome i wanna check it out. But I don't know where to look! haha

Again, i don't wanna argue but i thought what 16 was saying was very moving. He was telling Gohan to protect the life he loved, sometimes fighting is necessary. I don't know I really want to see the original one now since the only DBZ series I have seen is the Faulconer American dubbed version.

Mr. Announcer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr. Announcer » Thu May 25, 2006 5:46 pm

Believe me, you do. I waited two years to get a hold of the DVD I liked it so much. 16 says the same things in the original so it's not missing anything. Oh and if you're looking for the song, spirit vs. spirit should be a piece of cake to find....
For fanart that lacks in variety [url]http://www.announcerguy.deviantart.com[/url]

クリリンのことか~!!!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 25, 2006 6:51 pm

It's not just the song that's different (a new, vocal song composed specifically for that scene, mind you). From what I remember, the dub had Gohan going on and on and on and on and on for a little monologue to himself. That ain't there in the original.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:40 pm

firen wrote: Fair enough. I will have to give the origianl score a chance. Anyone know where i can get samples and maybe even the whole package? (all original bgm).
You can get short samples on this thread, from a few months ago when the BGM Collection was released. It's only clips (not the full compositions), and these are only the new pieces that never showed up previously on the older CDs, but it should give you a pretty danged good idea of what Shunsuke Kikuchi's score sounds like. It took me a while to get used to when I first got into the Japanese version (as this BGM occasionally sounds like it came from a corny old 70's action series), but MY WORD did it grow on me... which a lot of people here will attest to :)
And, if you do decide you like it, there's a number of BGM CDs that have been released, though the most frustrating thing in the world is the fact that even if you buy all of them, there's still several BGM pieces missing. They seem to be avoiding releasing certain AWESOME compositions like the plague, for some reason.
Also, I know some people might roll their eyes at the fact that I appear to have abandoned it (I've still got tons of notes that I'm sitting on), but I've been working on a documentation of all the BGM from DB and Z (and then I'll move on to GT), so that we have a clear picture of how many pieces have never made it to CD. I can tell you already, it's disgusting. More vocal CDs than you can count, most of which comprise songs that don't even appear in the show/movies; and only a handful of BGM CDs, most of which repeat a TON of pieces? No logic whatsoever!!!

The scene where Artificial Human #16 is giving Gohan that talk, in the Japanese version, is actually totally silent BGM-wise... it's when Gohan begins to snap when the music comes in, and in my opinion, it's the best use of an insert song in the entire series. But yeah, VegettoEX, that monologue they gave Gohan REALLY takes away from the scene. "16, you loved life... blah blah blah... I can feel myself slipping... blah blah blah..." It makes me want to shout, SHADDUP ALREADY!! :)

Oh, and just to clarify, in case anyone was wondering, when I said Bruce Faulconer was the best, I meant out of all the DUB. He has his moments, but in the long run, Shunsuke Kikuchi eats Bruces for breakfast.
Okay, okay, that's totally an OPINION, so don't bother me about it. I didn't even think Mark Menza and Shuki Levy's scores were worth much, but I guess people DO like them after all, so here's me eating my words :)
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

firen

Post by firen » Fri May 26, 2006 1:22 am

Hey Kenisu3000 i appreciate and respect your opinon. I recently got a change to watch the episode where Pikkon and the big blonde haired guy fight in the tournament in Japanese with no subtitles whatsoever. You were right it does sound like something from the 70s, although it reminded of something out of a Kung Fu movie. Again you were right by saying it takes a while to get used to, especially since i have been exposed ONLY to Faulconer's music. I think that is the sole reason i am attached to it. Here, I am thinking his work is awesome while everyone who has experienced the ORIGINAL BGM more or less dislikes his work. :)

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri May 26, 2006 3:06 am

The original bgm will always top the all others, but sometimes, man does Bruce hit the mark, in my opinion that is heh.

I enjoy Shuki Levi's take on the music, and Faulconer's, but I hate Mark Menza's. Especially when he did DBGT ( I think he did the background music for it..) Bored the hell out of me, it was uninteresting, and it annoyed me half to death, and to sleep. lol.

I'll have to wait a while longer before I attempt to listen to Mark's music on the Ultimate Uncut edition dub. ( waitin' for the box set :lol: )

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri May 26, 2006 10:47 am

Snail wrote:I enjoy Shuki Levi's take on the music, and Faulconer's, but I hate Mark Menza's. Especially when he did DBGT ( I think he did the background music for it..) Bored the hell out of me, it was uninteresting, and it annoyed me half to death, and to sleep. lol.
I agree.

And I don't think it was Mark Menza who did the music on the Ultimate Uncut Editions. I'll double check as soon as I get the chance.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri May 26, 2006 11:16 am

From what I've heard, the background music for the UUEs actually aren't that bad, if it wasn't composed by Mark Menza, I wonder who.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Fri May 26, 2006 12:01 pm

Snail wrote:From what I've heard, the background music for the UUEs actually aren't that bad, if it wasn't composed by Mark Menza, I wonder who.
Some pieces were composed by Mark Menza I believe along with two other composers. So I believe the BGM was done by 3 composers inculding Mark Menza the last time I checked.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri May 26, 2006 5:27 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's not just the song that's different (a new, vocal song composed specifically for that scene, mind you). From what I remember, the dub had Gohan going on and on and on and on and on for a little monologue to himself. That ain't there in the original.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to. Nothing tops "Spirit vs Spirit," especially not crappy dialogue.

MultilangDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MultilangDBZ » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:59 pm

firen wrote:The original Japense one has better BGM for [SSJ2 Gohan] scene? Awesome i wanna check it out. But I don't know where to look!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mmd5unQHDv0

Enjoy.
The analytical enigma. 分析性的不解之谜.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:45 pm

MultilangDBZ wrote:
firen wrote:The original Japense one has better BGM for [SSJ2 Gohan] scene? Awesome i wanna check it out. But I don't know where to look!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mmd5unQHDv0

Enjoy.
:::Watches, with subsequent fangasm:::

0_o Yes! I've never watched a HQ version before this!

Gohan was crying in that one shot?! Holy frakkin' shiznits!

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:23 pm

:arrow: Can someone tell me which song is used when Gohan goes bonkers and transforms into SSJ2? It’s used in 3 or 4 episodes. “Episode 170 – The Unleashing (Awakening)” starts off with this theme. Can someone please give me the name of this song by Faulconer?