Toriyama Battle of Gods interview

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Toriyama Battle of Gods interview

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 am

Can someone please give me the message from Toriyama saying where in the series this movie takes place. I have been searching for it and it's rather hard to find.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Re: Toriyama Battle of Gods interview

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:44 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Can someone please give me the message from Toriyama saying where in the series this movie takes place. I have been searching for it and it's rather hard to find.
Everything (well, virtually) from Battle of Gods has been translated and documented in the Translations section, where it's pretty easy to sort through. Toriyama talked about the time frame in Weekly Shōnen Jump issue 2013 #16:
Why did you choose this period?

The fact is, I thought, “Man, I really made everyone old in the last chapter of the manga”. I even gave Vegeta a mustache (laughs). So, I chose this period because everyone had got to maximum strength. A few years after the “Majin Buu arc”, and before Pan’s birth.
And also in the V-Jump May 2013 Issue:
With regards to the time frame of “for the first time in 39 years”, the movie’s setting is after the defeat of Majin Buu, and also prior to the final chapter. Why is it that you chose this period?

When I decided, “For this movie, let’s go with the whole cast!” I thought, “What era would be best?” If it’s a few years after the “Majin Buu arc”, then almost all the cast members are at MAX strength…. And also, you know, in the final chapter, where Uub appears, I made [characters like] Bulma and Kuririn pretty old, so honestly, I thought, “Maaaybe it’s a biiit difficult” [to make the time period any later]. (laughs)

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:50 am

Vegeta didn't have a mustache in the last chapter
The world's greatest.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 am

Dr. Machismo wrote:Vegeta didn't have a mustache in the last chapter
:shifty: ...."THAT'S OUR TORIYAMA!" :thumbup:

tysonwritesel

Post by tysonwritesel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:46 am

Toriyama prob barely knows this exists besides his lawyer.
tysonwritesel, @Kanzenshuu member for 9 years, 2 months, 29 days! ***3-18-2004***

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:01 am

tysonwritesel wrote:Toriyama prob barely knows this exists besides his lawyer.
He was quite involved with this movie, as has been well-documented. He designed the new characters, along with the new costumes/looks for the existing ones, and basically rewrote the script after the scriptwriter's original treatment wasn't to his liking.

All of this has been gone over pretty thoroughly between the site and the podcast.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。