Favorite English voice for Kid Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Favorite English voice for Kid Goku?

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:50 am

ABED wrote:Mr. Satan is meant to be an over the top wrestler type, and both the dub voice and Gori are great. Nadolny, not so much.

It's not so much the voice at is the delivery. Her cadence is so awful and unnatural.
1. Not even over the top wrestlers sounded like that.
2. So your statement(That she doesn't sound like a REAL boy in an ANIME) only applies if they're good in your eyes.

3. I see NOTHING wrong with Nadolny. Maybe her Gohan but not her Goku.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
ABED wrote:Mr. Satan is meant to be an over the top wrestler type, and both the dub voice and Gori are great. Nadolny, not so much.

It's not so much the voice at is the delivery. Her cadence is so awful and unnatural.
1. Not even over the top wrestlers sounded like that.
2. So your statement(That she doesn't sound like a REAL boy in an ANIME) only applies if they're good in your eyes.

3. I see NOTHING wrong with Nadolny. Maybe her Gohan but not her Goku.
Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, The Road Warriors, and Ultimate Warrior had VERY over the top delivery and weren't too far from Mr. Satan. Once again, Mr. Satan is meant to be over the top.

It's not about sounding real as much as natural. I get that it's a fantasy but Nadolny's delivery isn't remotely natural.

I can't fathom why you think her Gohan is worse than her Goku. As much as I don't care for it, she's more natural as Gohan. The Krusty laugh :thumbdown:
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, The Road Warriors, and Ultimate Warrior had VERY over the top delivery and weren't too far from Mr. Satan. Once again, Mr. Satan is meant to be over the top.
Didn't I JUST say that not even OVER THE TOp wrestlers had voices like that. Notice I said OVER THE TOP just like you did
It's not about sounding real as much as natural. I get that it's a fantasy but Nadolny's delivery isn't remotely natural.
Yes it's not natural(Well not as natural as it could have been) but none the less. It's a great voice.
I can't fathom why you think her Gohan is worse than her Goku. As much as I don't care for it, she's more natural as Gohan. The Krusty laugh
Laughing was NEVER DB's strong point. Trust me. Her Goku sounded more child like than Gohan and fits much better on Goku due to the wild-ness.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:03 pm

Didn't I JUST say that not even OVER THE TOp wrestlers had voices like that. Notice I said OVER THE TOP just like you did
I'm not sure what you are trying to point out, please explain.
It's a great voice.
We disagree, I find it grating.
Her Goku sounded more child like than Gohan and fits much better on Goku due to the wild-ness.
Goku always had a more youthful energy than Gohan, but that's not what I'm talking about. I think her Gohan is marginally better than Goku because the rhythms of her delivery aren't so Goofy. Nozawa was effortless, Nadolny sounds like she's acting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:09 pm

You said the same thing I did. Over difference was is that I said that not even the OVER THE TOP wrestlers sounded like Satan.
I think her Gohan is marginally better than Goku because the rhythms of her delivery aren't so Goofy. Nozawa was effortless, Nadolny sounds like she's acting.
Goku is goofy......

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:
ABED wrote:For the detractors, what is it about Clinkenbeard that you dislike? What I find weird is the extent to which you seem to dislike it.
To me she sounds like a girl. Whatever you think about Nadolny being "grating" is fine, but regardless Nadolny does not sound like a girl, whiny little bitch? maybe...whiny littel girl bitch? NO. When I hear Colleen Clinkbeard I HEAR COLEEN CLINKBEARD. It'd be fine if it was at least androgynous, but unfortunately it is totally feminine.

To slightly troll this youtube vid sums it up and at the same time is about the closest to sounding like a boy Colleen ever gets IN MY OPINION http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVukSF1rIpA :sick:
She sounds like a boy here. On topic, I'd say Nadolny is my favorite. Never heard Goodson's, (and admit I see her doing more Frieza a la a more masculine Rita), and haven't seen the redub of "Blood Rubies" so can't say on Colleen. Liked Henderson, but Nadolny is who epitomized with how long she did it, mainly in DB. Didn't like Delgadillo's as was too much like Dende.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:04 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
You said the same thing I did. Over difference was is that I said that not even the OVER THE TOP wrestlers sounded like Satan.
I think her Gohan is marginally better than Goku because the rhythms of her delivery aren't so Goofy. Nozawa was effortless, Nadolny sounds like she's acting.
Goku is goofy......
I still don't see what you are getting at because I gave you examples of over the top wrestlers sounding like Mr. Satan. I'm sensing your point has something to do with the phrase "over the top". Are you implying Hulk and Savage weren't over the top?

Notice that I wrote "Goofy" with a capital G. Goku is a goofball, but he's not Goofy.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:12 pm

I still don't see what you are getting at because I gave you examples of over the top wrestlers sounding like Mr. Satan. I'm sensing your point has something to do with the phrase "over the top". Are you implying Hulk and Savage weren't over the top?
I just said they WERE over the top. I said not even THEM(The over the top wrestlers) sounded NOTHING like Satan.
Notice that I wrote "Goofy" with a capital G. Goku is a goofball, but he's not Goofy.
You mean goofy the character? Sorry that's another voice actor

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:17 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
I just said they WERE over the top. I said not even THEM(The over the top wrestlers) sounded NOTHING like Satan.
Um... Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan DEFINITELY sound a lot like Mr. Satan. Like, a hell of a lot, actually. Especially Savage, which you can tell Chris Rager is really taking inspiration from.

Sure, Mr. Satan is a tad more exaggerated, but he also comes off rather natural. Goofy, over the top, and overly macho. That's kind of his thing.

My favorite English Goku? Truth is, I never really hated Nadolny as Goku, even though her acting is unnatural and her voice sounds grating. She had a charm to her, but ultimately, she really IS not a good actress nor was she right for Goku in my opinion. I'd have to go with... Colleen Clinkenbeard or Barbara Goodson.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

I never really had much of a problem with Nadolny's voice sounding too old in the case of Gohan. You're already having to suspend your disbelief enough already at the concept of a 5 year old doing all of the stuff that Gohan does, so his voice really doesn't change much for me in that area. He's still far smarter and more perceptive than just about any 5 year old in the history of everything. Besides, I don't think anybody had a problem with Japanese Vegeta sounding like a fully grown man at the age of four.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

I wasn't saying their voices sounded like Mr. Satan, neccessarily, though Savage kinda does. I'm saying their over the top delivery is a lot like Mr. Satan's. Hopefully that's clearer.

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:43 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I never really had much of a problem with Nadolny's voice sounding too old in the case of Gohan. You're already having to suspend your disbelief enough already at the concept of a 5 year old doing all of the stuff that Gohan does, so his voice really doesn't change much for me in that area. He's still far smarter and more perceptive than just about any 5 year old in the history of everything. Besides, I don't think anybody had a problem with Japanese Vegeta sounding like a fully grown man at the age of four.
Uh, aaactually, as someone who has always preferred the Japanese version: I take issue with that. I actually found it really obnoxious!

Some may call it artistic; I found it offsetting. Unlike with Goku where him having the same voice is part of his character, I find doing the same with Vegeta is unnecessary and distracting.

As far as Gohan goes, Nadolny's voice came off as just obnoxious. It's scratchy, it's stuffy, it doesn't come any where close to sounding natural, and it certainly doesn't sound cute at all. Cute and unassuming are parts of Gohan's character and, the truth is, I never felt any of that with Nadolny. In part that's due to her acting, for me.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:53 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I never really had much of a problem with Nadolny's voice sounding too old in the case of Gohan. You're already having to suspend your disbelief enough already at the concept of a 5 year old doing all of the stuff that Gohan does, so his voice really doesn't change much for me in that area. He's still far smarter and more perceptive than just about any 5 year old in the history of everything. Besides, I don't think anybody had a problem with Japanese Vegeta sounding like a fully grown man at the age of four.
Uh, aaactually, as someone who has always preferred the Japanese version: I take issue with that. I actually found it really obnoxious!

Some may call it artistic; I found it offsetting. Unlike with Goku where him having the same voice is part of his character, I find doing the same with Vegeta is unnecessary and distracting.

As far as Gohan goes, Nadolny's voice came off as just obnoxious. It's scratchy, it's stuffy, it doesn't come any where close to sounding natural, and it certainly doesn't sound cute at all. Cute and unassuming are parts of Gohan's character and, the truth is, I never felt any of that with Nadolny. In part that's due to her acting, for me.
That remind me, do you have any plans to do a Abridged series of the original Dragon Ball? Theres a metric f*ck ton of stuff you could do with it. Sure the Krillin owned count will likely be in the 100's by the end but thats all the more reason to do it.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:01 pm

I've only heard Nadolny's sooooooo by default, I guess she's my favorite. I also don't mind it that much. Goku was 12 in Dragon Ball so he should be starting to hit puberty, which is why I never really disliked Nadolny on Goku. Gohan's a different story though. I liked it when I was a kid, but that's only because it sounded badass. It definitely doesn't fit his age or character.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:40 pm

ABED wrote:I wasn't saying their voices sounded like Mr. Satan, neccessarily, though Savage kinda does. I'm saying their over the top delivery is a lot like Mr. Satan's. Hopefully that's clearer.
I said Satan was WAY more over the top.
Um... Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan DEFINITELY sound a lot like Mr. Satan. Like, a hell of a lot, actually. Especially Savage, which you can tell Chris Rager is really taking inspiration from.
I'm saying Satan was much more over the top

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
ABED wrote:I wasn't saying their voices sounded like Mr. Satan, neccessarily, though Savage kinda does. I'm saying their over the top delivery is a lot like Mr. Satan's. Hopefully that's clearer.
I said Satan was WAY more over the top.
I'm saying Satan was much more over the top
Which, Mr. Satan or Mr. Satan's voice?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Which, Mr. Satan or Mr. Satan's voice?
Voice. Maybe Savage is slightly more OTT though because at times I could't understand what he was saying.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:00 pm

I would love to get inside the head of someone who doesn't like Nadalony's Goku so I could hear what they hear. Because I really just don't hear the parody shatner acting. The most she did in the old dub was sometimes run over her lines, apart from that her acting, was in line with the other cast members. She could also emote pretty well especially when Goku was angry. And this is just the DB dub, she got even better in the video games.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:36 pm

ringworm128 wrote:I would love to get inside the head of someone who doesn't like Nadalony's Goku so I could hear what they hear. Because I really just don't hear the parody shatner acting. The most she did in the old dub was sometimes run over her lines, apart from that her acting, was in line with the other cast members. She could also emote pretty well especially when Goku was angry. And this is just the DB dub, she got even better in the video games.
She's at her worst when she's angry or emotional, then she's especially raspy and grating. Raspy isn't cute, either. Unfortunately I'm not tech savy so I can't create a youtube video to demonstrate it.

How do you not hear the Goofy inflections. Her voice goes up in pitch in the most awkward ways in the middle of a line when she plays Goku.

It's not Shatner style acting, it's her Goofy inflections. Another way to describe her inflections are "cartoony".

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:26 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I've only heard Nadolny's sooooooo by default, I guess she's my favorite. I also don't mind it that much. Goku was 12 in Dragon Ball so he should be starting to hit puberty, which is why I never really disliked Nadolny on Goku. Gohan's a different story though. I liked it when I was a kid, but that's only because it sounded badass. It definitely doesn't fit his age or character.
Except Goku DIDN'T go through puberty until some time during his training with Kami. We know that full-blooded Saiyans take longer to reach puberty than humans, too. And not even all humans have even started hitting puberty at 12.

But yes, never hated Nadolny as Goku for whatever reason. Still want to see Clinkenbeard get a better opportunity though.