DBZ English Dub Fans on Kanzenshuu

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: DBZ English Dub Fans on Kanzenshuu

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:51 pm

How is it obvious Freeza is a female character?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:25 pm

ABED wrote:How is it obvious Freeza is a female character?
Purple lips
Grand Mother voice
Nails
His dialog.

I'm shocked they didn't censor his chest because of this,

BirdieWatcher

Post by BirdieWatcher » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Looneygamemaster wrote:
A good example in a medium I am more familiar with is the game Lunar 2 where the translators added in the idea that there was an unrequited love between two characters, where there was no such reference in the original work.
The other guy answered most of the question quite well, but I remember there being a dialogue box near the end of the game the Ghaleon had liked Luna, forgetting where as it has been ages since played the game. But I remember thinking it grounded the character's actions in the game and made him a more human character.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:48 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
Purple lips
Grand Mother voice
Nails
His dialog.

Nakao didn't give Freeza a grandmother voice, and his dialog wasn't gender specific. He was overly sexualized and had a grandma voice in the dub, but that wasn't what the previous post said.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:48 pm

ABED wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
Purple lips
Grand Mother voice
Nails
His dialog.

Nakao didn't give Freeza a grandmother voice, and his dialog wasn't gender specific. He was overly sexualized and had a grandma voice in the dub, but that wasn't what the previous post said.
Opps thinking of the wrong voice actor. Thinking of Young. Forgot what you was talking about

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:59 pm

I thought Frieza was a girl the first time I saw a picture of him. I didn't realize it was a dude until they referred to him as "he"
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Freeza is clearly kind of fem looking.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Not to mention Nakao's Freeza laugh is one you often hear in women who are being a bit smug or arrogant in anime. I know it's supposed to be an aristocratic thing, but in anime I've never heard another male laugh like that. Kind of a haughty laugh.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:25 pm

To clarify, I'm didn't ask why you thought Freeza was a woman, I probably had the same reaction (I can't remember what I first thought, it was 16 years ago). I was asking in reference to someone saying Freeza was obviously meant to be a woman but was changed because of something like toy sales.

I never got the sense that it was a female laugh. Nakao made Freeza a bit effeminate, but that doesn't scream female laugh. He sounds more hoity toity than female.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 pm

I don't know, Freeza is pretty gender neutral if you look at a picture of him IMO:
I only thought Freeza was a girl at first because of his voice. When I first heard the Japanese voice I was like WTF, that's a contrast :lol: .
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:33 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I don't know, Freeza is pretty gender neutral if you look at a picture of him IMO:
I only thought Freeza was a girl at first because of his voice. When I first heard the Japanese voice I was like WTF, that's a contrast :lol: .
I think you should had posted a pic of his first form. That's the one(As far as I know) that most people thought was a female

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Is this why we continually get uninspired "scene-by-scene copy and paste" works like DBZ?

Adaptations are works of art in and of themselves, and I believe that adaptors have every right to make changes they feel will support their new versions. Of course, the audience has the right to judge the changes they make, but this belief that they can't make any changes is artistically stifling.
So adaptors should be given carte blanche so they can feel like artists?

DBZ wasn't cut and paste, it was the manga in motion with great voices and score. That's art just as much as if they had done what you seem to imply.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:45 pm

I still get a gender neutral vibe from this:
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:48 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:I still get a gender neutral vibe from this:
Not going to lie. Looks kinda like a feminine to me. Just a mad one.

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:28 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
TheMightyOzaru wrote:I still get a gender neutral vibe from this:
Not going to lie. Looks kinda like a feminine to me. Just a mad one.
Yeah looks like my missus when I wind her up! Haha! Definitely more feminine at the beginning and then the voice carries that vibe through to the final transformation..
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:49 pm

The first and final forms of Freeza always seemed rather effeminate to me. The dark lips resembling lipstick, dark fingernails/toenails resembling nail polish, etc. And especially with Linda Young's voice for the character, I did think Freeza was a female for some time. Which I actually thought it was cool, because it used to be so rare to see major female villains (though these days you've got pretty major ones like Azula, Dante, Lust, etc.).

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:13 pm

I never thought Frieza as female due to folks using male pronouns, and of course, his underlings addressing him as "Master Frieza" or "Lord Frieza". Outside the Bleach dub, you don't really hear any underlings call a woman "Master". It's always "Mistress".

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I never thought Freeza as female due to folks using male pronouns, and of course, his underlings addressing him as "Master Freeza" or "Lord Freeza". Outside the Bleach dub, you don't really hear any underlings call a woman "Master". It's always "Mistress".
See, at five years old, I didn't even notice them call him that, nor did I know the difference. :P

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Well, as a kid I admit to being pretty confused by Freeza's gender, but that's mostly because I was watching the dub...which presented the ever-confusing contrast of constant referrals to Freeza as "him" and "he," against a very obviously female-sounding voice actor.

However, between Nakao's voice and the appearance of Freeza's final form, I definitely visualized Freeza to be a male character. Apparently the WB thought so too, as they confused a....."notch".......with genitalia.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:03 pm

Megatron does not shriek like a girl when surprised/interrupted or insist to be called "Mega-chan".
Please tell me the Japanese didn't actually do that...