Why the Broly hate?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Why the Broly hate?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:24 pm

ABED wrote: When?
Piccolo's training with Gohan.
and I don't think it would be very wise for Gohan to hold back when he's gotten rusty (Goten seems like he isn't).
He's more or less shaken off enough ring rust when he's sparring with Goten, and it doesn't even seem like they are sparring as much as Gohan's just blocking.[/quote]
He did deliver a kick, though.

On-Topic: Broli's voice is perfectly fine.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:26 pm

While Piccolo was harsher than usual, he wasn't trying to kill Gohan, as evidence that Gohan's not dead. He's holding back.

Okay, I forgot the kick but that's evidence of a little offense, hardly what I would call a knockdown, bloody fist fight that took both men to their limits.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:30 pm

ABED wrote:While Piccolo was harsher than usual, he wasn't trying to kill Gohan, as evidence that Gohan's not dead. He's holding back.

Okay, I forgot the kick but that's evidence of a little offense, hardly what I would call a knockdown, bloody fist fight that took both men to their limits.
Seems we both have different definitions of going all out.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:34 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:While Piccolo was harsher than usual, he wasn't trying to kill Gohan, as evidence that Gohan's not dead. He's holding back.

I don't know how that could be. It's pretty straight forward, going all out is simply using all of one's strength and endurance.

By the way, Cell also gritted his teeth and showed signs of struggle but he was clearly stronger than Goku in their fight.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:05 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:To get back on topic.

What's y'all opinions on Broly's voice. Any dub.
Just from his behaviour he's unpleasant to have around and with a voice it just made it more obvious (I can't even remember his Japanese vocal), I wonder why Toei came up with such a crappy character for the Dragon Ball universe maybe it was just to annoy everyone.
His Japanese voice actor was Bin Shimada, he voiced West Kai and the Cell Jrs too. I think he does a pretty good job as Broly, he certainly gets the whole "teetering on the edge of madness" thing down, when he's yelling anyway.
Thanks to SSJ God Gogeta for the avatar.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:16 pm

ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

I don't know how that could be. It's pretty straight forward, going all out is simply using all of one's strength and endurance.

By the way, Cell also gritted his teeth and showed signs of struggle but he was clearly stronger than Goku in their fight.
Going all out is performing a task at the best of your ability and sparing is the honing of two people's skills. By that, I think Gohan and Goten would do all they can to rough each other up but you're saying they'd be trying to kill each other even though that's not their intentions.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:31 pm

It would definitely be far more painful if they were going all out.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:43 am

ABED wrote:By the way, Cell also gritted his teeth and showed signs of struggle but he was clearly stronger than Goku in their fight.
Yes, but Cell (with the power he was using against Goku) wasn't many times stronger than Goku, not even far stronger.

I find the Daizenshuu statement about Goten = Gohan wrong, but everything indicates that Goten & Trunks are less than x2 weaker than Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan. They weren't going all out in their training, but they weren't heavily suppressed either, because there is no point to train while holding back.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:09 am

MDSTSSJ wrote:Oh that's crazy! 4 year old Gohan Kill Piccolo or Goku is exaggerated. if Goku or Piccolo are off guard, enraged 4 year old Gohan can inflict seriously damage but not kill them.
Gohan was at 1.307, and did very serious damage on Raditz (1.200-1.500, whatever you like). Goku was at 416, and Piccolo was at 408. They would be dead if that hit on Raditz was aimed on them.
MDSTSSJ wrote:10 year old Gohan kill base-SSJ2 Goku?? Is what you mean or I misunderstood that? This is even more crazy!
I was supposed to say Oob there... :oops:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:26 am

TheGmGoken wrote:To get back on topic.

What's y'all opinions on Broly's voice. Any dub.
Will have to say that with the dub, that was the first character I knew Vic Mignogna's name for. (First role I heard was Uraurashima on YYH, but Toonami broadcast didn't credit actors per character directly). Thought he was ok, though I haven't watched the movie in many years, though many of my friends were shocked to learn he was him.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Anyone else think Roshi trying to intimidate Broly in M8 was the funniest scene ever?
Too bad he didn't fight, it would have been an epic gag fight.

Actually i missed Roshi fightning in Z.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 pm

That's one of the things the movies did right imo, they at least gave a little spotlight to some forgotten characters.

And I think Broly's voice is alright? I don't know, for such a one dimensional character with no personality and a really werid motivation for being berserker, it was satisfactory enough.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 pm

Don't know you, but i'm starting to really like Base Broly design. His Super Saiyan design too is pretty cool. He's got the most unique look out of all the saiyans imho.
His Legendary SSJ Form is nothing special, however i like it because he looks like a giant unstoppable monster.

Here's a sketch i made of a possible SSJ God Broly.
Which would be a form completely opposite of LSSJ Broly.
Of course, the final result would be a little more slim.

This makes me think SSJ God using the slimmer Base forms as a design was a nice change of pace. Broly really benefits from losing all those muscles. Looks cool.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:00 pm

I don't like base Broly for being inhumanly big.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:27 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:I don't like base Broly for being inhumanly big.
He's tall not big. What's wrong with that? A tall Saiyan. Nappa was inhumanly big as well.

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Gohan was at 1.307, and did very serious damage on Raditz (1.200-1.500, whatever you like). Goku was at 416, and Piccolo was at 408. They would be dead if that hit on Raditz was aimed on them.
Piccolo maybe yes but Goku is recognized for enduring serious beatings by beings much stronger than him.
I was supposed to say Oob there... :oops:
No problem my friend!!!! :thumbup:

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:25 am

Sorry to randomly jump in here like this, but does anyone remember when people use to call Broli fans, 'Broly-tards' or 'Brolitards' or something like that? Might've been an MFG thing.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:49 am

MDSTSSJ wrote:Goku is recognized for enduring serious beatings by beings much stronger than him.
When did that happen in the manga?

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 am

50% Freeza angrily attacking Goku during the Genki Dama portion of the fight.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:03 am

Kid Buu wrote:50% Freeza angrily attacking Goku during the Genki Dama portion of the fight.
Freeza didn't want to kill Goku so quickly. I believe he said so.