What should Toei focus on after Kai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: What should Toei focus on after Kai?

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:01 pm

And I'm guessing based on their projections, they believed putting more resources into DB would bring a better return than other potential properties.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:03 pm

ABED wrote:And I'm guessing based on their projections, they believed putting more resources into DB would bring a better return than other potential properties.
I already said that. Hence "milking" the series. Funimation kinda does the same as they're about that paper

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:09 pm

It becomes increasingly obvious that people only use phrases such as "milking" or "jumping the shark" when they're unhappy with the material given to them; a completely subjective feeling.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:12 pm

B wrote:It becomes increasingly obvious that people only use phrases such as "milking" or "jumping the shark" when they're unhappy with the material given to them; a completely subjective feeling.
I love all of Funi Db related releases. Don't know if comment was towards me. In terms of plot I do dislike the stuff Toei has put out. But YSGAFR and EOB I enjoyed decently. I don't see how DB jumped the shark but I do see DB being milked. Its a smart business choice honestly

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:21 pm

I love how we're getting so much new content. I don't actually like any of it apart from BoG (which I adore) but the excitement of something new being around the corner is always better than a potentially indefinite period of nothingness while the series is dead.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 pm

I think a new TV series that's not a remake will happen one day soon. It could be Heroes or a TV series based on the other universes. If they do a series based on other worlds then I would imagine the first episode will be a recap on BOG for the people who missed out on the film. I like the idea of Goku going to other worlds, but I think the episode count will be around 20-40 which will be fine by me. I think Heroes has a better chance since there more stuff you can do with Heroes.

I would like to see a Heroes TV series as long if it's good. I don't worry about it being canon since Heroes takes place in a VR and anything is possible. I like the Heroes card game since they can throw out logic and have a total blast with it. Riku Sanjo would be my best choice for a writer for DBH since he has good history with Toei and has a good track record. I think he will be up for it unless he's already in talks for the next Kamen Rider show after Gaim or another Digimon season.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Personally I would like a brand new series, replacing GT. I enjoyed it mostly, but it was just a weak continuation of a show like DBZ. And it would tie well with DBZ ending and Battle of Gods fresh in viewers minds.
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Toei is a Japanese film and TV company. They make shows with a Japanese mind set since the people in their country are the main target audience. Toei does not make Dragon Ball for the people in the US. It's like saying that they make Super Sentai shows so they get adapted into Power Rangers.
But they do (along with Bandai) factor Power Rangers into equation, unlike Kamen Rider which doesn't have the same global presence. With the new Sailor Moon Crystal anime they're prepping subtitles in 10 languages for global online debut. Not to mention that Buu Kai was originally greenlighteed because of international demand and probably got lucky with Japan TV retun only thx to declining Toriko popularity

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:06 pm

B wrote:It becomes increasingly obvious that people only use phrases such as "milking" or "jumping the shark" when they're unhappy with the material given to them; a completely subjective feeling.
I don't think milking to be a bad thing, necessarily.

As for jumping the shark, so many people don't understand what it means, and will use it if a show has an off episode or two.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:18 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Focus on Sailor Moon

No more DB please
Wut? :shock: I love SM but c'mon, getting a BRAND FRESH NEW full-fledged anime is miles above what we got in past few years. 2 new specials, 1 remake, 1 upscaled old anime and 1 new movie barely add up to maybe 10 episodes of "new animation". Dragon Ball franchise deserves the same high-budget treatement Sailor Moon is gonna get this year

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:27 pm

ABED wrote:

As for jumping the shark, so many people don't understand what it means, and will use it if a show has an off episode or two.
A good example of it is That 70! Show replacing Eric. Hell if you're nitpicking changing Tom Design to the one with eyes was jumping the shark.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:31 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
ABED wrote:

A good example of it is That 70! Show replacing Eric. Hell if you're nitpicking changing Tom Design to the one with eyes was jumping the shark.
Yes, that is a good example. It's not a good idea to keep going with a series when the main character leaves the show. The other notable example is Happy Days, where the term comes from. As for DBZ, I'd say the show jumped the shark after the Freeza arc. It was still enjoyable but I think that was a high point for the show, and the two subsequent arcs were of lower quality.

I have no idea who Tom is

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 pm

ABED wrote:As for DBZ, I'd say the show jumped the shark after the Freeza arc. It was still enjoyable but I think that was a high point for the show, and the two subsequent arcs were of lower quality.
More like GT. Cell and Buu arc may not be AS strong as Saiyan/Namek mega arc where DB peaked, but they still managed to keep the quality high enough. GT on the other hand, ugh. Some good stuff was in Baby arc but it wasn't until Shadow Dragon arc that the show managed to get back on its feet. Which was too late already...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:29 pm

There's no right or wrong. For some, I'm sure DB never jumped the shark, but to me, there's a drop in quality after Freeza's demise, and the Buu arc isn't as good as even the Cell arc.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:56 pm

Basaku wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:Focus on Sailor Moon

No more DB please
Wut? :shock: I love SM but c'mon, getting a BRAND FRESH NEW full-fledged anime is miles above what we got in past few years. 2 new specials, 1 remake, 1 upscaled old anime and 1 new movie barely add up to maybe 10 episodes of "new animation". Dragon Ball franchise deserves the same high-budget treatement Sailor Moon is gonna get this year
DB did get a new anime after the original series ended (GT), and it didn't get go so well with fans.
ABED wrote:There's no right or wrong. For some, I'm sure DB never jumped the shark, but to me, there's a drop in quality after Freeza's demise, and the Buu arc isn't as good as even the Cell arc.
Agreed. On a rewatch I felt a decline happening after Goku's battle with Freeza on Namek.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:35 am

If they reanimate the entire show, they need to start from the first Manga chapter, cover the entire manga, and give great animation onpar with other produced shows like FMA: Brotherhood and HxX (2011). Otherwise they shouldn't just bother with it.
I'm sick of Toei ignoring anything pre-Raditz.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 am

Flame Dragon wrote:If they reanimate the entire show, they need to start from the first Manga chapter, cover the entire manga, and give great animation onpar with other produced shows like FMA: Brotherhood and HxX (2011). Otherwise they shouldn't just bother with it.
This, basically. If they're going to make the definitive version, it should be one anime for the one manga. It really annoys me when people treat Z as it's own self-contained story.

As I said, I don't think this is going to happen for a very long time now that we've had Kai.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:46 pm

If Heroes does get made into a TV show, it's still possible that it might not be released in the US. DB may be a global franchise, but that does not mean anything sometimes. Transformers is a global franchise and Transformers GO! has yet to be dubbed into English, it probably won't at this point. Super Sentai gets adapted into Power Rangers and Power Rangers is skipping out on Go-Busters. I will be okay with Heroes being a Japan only show as long if we have a good way to watch it like via Crunchy Roll .
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed May 07, 2014 4:15 pm

Battle of Gods sequel.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:If they reanimate the entire show, they need to start from the first Manga chapter, cover the entire manga, and give great animation onpar with other produced shows like FMA: Brotherhood and HxX (2011). Otherwise they shouldn't just bother with it.
Leave the originals alone and work on something brand new because remember they've already lost a lot of the authentic Dragon Ball cast so they couldn't just use the same vocals again unless it were the muffled audio tracks.

According to Kojiro_Sasaki already 25 have passed away:
So really Toei Animation at some point needs to do a complete recast (yet keeping the Real Goku VA included) so that the audience can get used to the new vocals.

Masako Nozawa is the most important VA of Dragon Ball and Toei's gotta keep her for as long as possible otherwise Goku will sound weird without being Nozawa voicing him.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed May 07, 2014 5:16 pm

For people who want both 4:3 and 16:9, we could go with a 2.05:1 ratio, which both 2.35:1 and 1.78:1 ratios can live in.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.