Using the word "saga" to describe story divisions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Sagas

Post by ABED » Wed May 21, 2014 8:28 pm

The DBoxes weren't divided up into an arbitrary number of episodes per box. It had to do with the maximum number of episodes per disc and the price point.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed May 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Story arcs, not sagas. If I were to call saga to anything (DB related), it would be Dragon Ball itself (and I still would think franchise is the proper term).
This is really the end of it, "Saga" as the long story is the proper definition of the term, on the same grounds that "Season" is long. Only real reason for it I can ponder is that Funi thinks DBZ is that long.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:37 pm

For DB, I don't use "sagas" or "arcs" I don't use anything really. used to use sagas but just doesn't fit right for me.

For Z and GT I use sagas though. I've used that for like 14-15 years. :D
I only use the four main sagas though Saiyan, Freeza, Cell, and Buu for Z

And for GT there's 3,maybe 4. It changes for me honestly, because Baby shows up in the middle of the DB hunt, and Super 17 is so short i barely consider it a full saga. (The whole Super 17 idea in general is just dumb in my opinion.
( two 17's = stronger than SSJ4 but can get beat by 18 and base Goku)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Nobody calls anything else in regards to anything else a "saga". I think FUNimation just wanted a "cool" sounding word to describe the various storylines.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu May 22, 2014 2:19 am

ABED wrote:The "seasons" have to do with FUNi's sagas. For instance, season 5 contains the Imperfect and Perfect Cell sagas. The weirdest thing is that they consider episodes 36-39 to be part of the Vegeta arc.
Most of the Z ones, yes. But the DB and DBGT sets don't seem to line up with anything in particular.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Thu May 22, 2014 2:54 am

Funimation's use (or overuse) of the term "saga" has no sway over my decision. If they had been correct in their use, I would use it too. However, as has been pointed out previously, they were incorrect, as Dragon Ball as a whole would be considered a saga. As for how I divide up the saga of Dragon Ball into story arcs:

1) The search for the Dragon Balls
2) 21st Tenkaichi Budoukai
3) Red Ribbon Army
4) Uranai Baba
5) 22nd Tenkaichi Budoukai
6) Piccolo Daimaou
7) 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai
8 ) Saiyans
9) Planet Namek/Freeza
10) Androids/Cell
11) Great Saiyaman/Tenkaichi Budoukai
12) Majin Boo
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 22, 2014 8:21 am

B wrote:Nobody calls anything else in regards to anything else a "saga". I think FUNimation just wanted a "cool" sounding word to describe the various storylines.
The Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Saga from the X-Men.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 am

ABED wrote:
B wrote:Nobody calls anything else in regards to anything else a "saga". I think FUNimation just wanted a "cool" sounding word to describe the various storylines.
The Clone Saga in Spiderman to add to that.

Gokuden
Regular

Re: Using the word "saga" to describe story divisions

Post by Gokuden » Thu May 22, 2014 10:33 am

When I first watched Dragon Ball, I would use literary terms from English class. I used 'arc', then when the announcer would say 'Saga' in a cool voice, I'd say that.

But, across the land of the internets, on anime forums, most people used the term 'arc'.

The funny thing is, I only use the word saga with DragonBall. Strange, yes?
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu May 22, 2014 11:50 am

90sDBZ wrote:
ABED wrote:
The Clone Saga in Spiderman to add to that.
Right, for big events like those. But FUNi just threw the term out for everything. Nobody says they love the Air Conditioning Repair School Saga of Community.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ricecake
Beyond Newbie

Post by ricecake » Thu May 22, 2014 12:32 pm

ABED wrote:The DBoxes weren't divided up into an arbitrary number of episodes per box. It had to do with the maximum number of episodes per disc and the price point.
While this is true, the Dragon Books included with the Funimation Dragon Box Z divide it as:

Vegeta Saga - Episodes 1-35
Namek Saga - Episodes 36-74
Freeza Saga - Episodes 75-107
Garlic Junior Saga - Episodes 108-117
Artificial Humans Saga - Episodes 118-147
Cell Saga - Episodes 148-194
Anoyoichi Saga - Episodes 195-199
High School Saga - Episodes 200-209
Majin Boo Saga - Episodes 210-291

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 22, 2014 3:44 pm

B wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:Right, for big events like those. But FUNi just threw the term out for everything. Nobody says they love the Air Conditioning Repair School Saga of Community.
That was one storyline for one character. There's already a natural delineation anyway, they're called "seasons".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 22, 2014 3:47 pm

ABED wrote:There's already a natural delineation anyway, they're called "seasons".
Not in Japan, and FUNimation has conflicting "seasons" for DBZ: the actual "seasons" that aired on TV, and the "season" home release sets.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
ABED wrote:The "seasons" have to do with FUNi's sagas. For instance, season 5 contains the Imperfect and Perfect Cell sagas. The weirdest thing is that they consider episodes 36-39 to be part of the Vegeta arc.
Most of the Z ones, yes. But the DB and DBGT sets don't seem to line up with anything in particular.
THat is correct, but you'll notice that the DB seasons are broken up evenly.
Not in Japan, and FUNimation has conflicting "seasons" for DBZ: the actual "seasons" that aired on TV, and the "season" home release sets.
I was referring specifically to his community example.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu May 22, 2014 4:01 pm

ABED wrote:
THat is correct, but you'll notice that the DB seasons are broken up evenly.

[/quote]

Now that I think about it, they are. Well, in terms of sets anyway. Anybody remember that disc that had 2 episodes on it? :lol:
GT is fairly even, too, I suppose. Uninformed people watching these must be thinking "what a lousy way to end a season" half the time, though. :D
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 pm

ABED wrote:The DBoxes weren't divided up into an arbitrary number of episodes per box. It had to do with the maximum number of episodes per disc and the price point.
I suppose "arbitrary" was the wrong word; I know they don't just spin a wheel to decide how many episodes go on each set. What I mean is that they're dividing episodes up with little if any regard to natural story divisions or production history. Admittedly, doing it by production history is basically impossible since they simply popped out one new episode a week every week for 10+ years, and doing it by story lines is hard without having unevenly long sets. But Funi at least took a stab at doing it by story line back in the day, and I think it worked fairly well. Though I'm probably biased since most of my DB/Z/GT DVD collection dates from this era. Of course, this was also the era where one Z DVD had 3-4 episodes, but you can't really blame the "saga" subdivisions for that...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu May 22, 2014 5:48 pm

As far as I'm concerned, I just use "saga" or "arc" for the same thing: sometimes, I will say "the Majin Boo saga" and sometimes I will say "the Majin Boo arc", but it's the same in my mind. To me, there are only three sagas in Z/Kai.

"Seasons" is the popular term I use for subdivisions I make myself for my friends and family, fitting with the kind of familiar division you see in classic TV shows: less than 20 episodes (or 20-something if it ever happens) and a mission being completed, with the next mission likely announced. That helps them "digest" the progression in the story without being discouraged by the fact that there's 100 episodes left! They feel like they have many "checkpoints" along the road to take a break if necessary, and also have an increased perception of when the overall setting and mood might have changed and when a milestone has been reached in the story.
Since I make them myself for my own circle of people, I never speak in "seasons" around here since it's my own invention and would therefore be pointless in discussions.

To me, a "season" I make fits with one new objective.
A "saga" or "arc" ends when there is a period of peace and when the story could have ended once and for all, with no further threat/mission announced while the characters get back to a normal life, maybe forever. This leaves only FREEZER - CELL - BOO (the epilogue is too short for me to consider it its own saga). A "saga" will be composed of several seasons/checkpoints along the way (three of them) when the main mission has changed.
All of this gives three arcs/sagas (that I will mention in forums) and nine seasons (that I keep for me and the people watching Kai with me, never mentionning them in forum discussions).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 22, 2014 7:23 pm

I still don't get the idea of lumping in the Saiyan or Vegeta arc with the Freeza arc. As we learn, Vegeta isn't working for Freeza at this point, and even then I don't think it should matter as that battle is the climax of its own story. For any Angel fans, I wouldn't consider seasons 3, 4, and 5 to be one big story. Yes, they're connected, and the lead into the next one, but each has a specific story with its own climax and resolution. The same with Arrow. Season 1 leads to season 2, but I would still consider them distinct.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu May 22, 2014 8:10 pm

I agree with you, ABED. It personally drives me crazy to see those two lumped together. I think I understand why, though. As Cold Skin said, there isn't too much finality with the Saiyan arc. It leads right into the Freeza arc, and there are loose plot threads to be resolved. But then again, you could say that for nearly every arc of DB. Hell, the Freeza arc's last chapter ends with Freeza arriving to earth! There's certainly no finality there. The 22nd Budoukai ends with Kuririn's death. The 21st and Hunt for the DBs both end with Goku setting off on a new adventure. If finality is the criteria to define an arc, then these are the only arcs the series has:

Arc 1: Beginning through Ma Junior
Arc 2: Raditz through Cell
Arc 3: Boo, although even that doesn't end on a note to tie everything up. :lol:

Another reason I can think of, and I have nothing to back this up, is that Vegeta fans like to do this in order to help whitewash his character. Just like the dub did, pawn off his terrible behavior on to Freeza. Vegeta's not the villain. He's just a sub-villain of Freeza. But that just takes so much away from Vegeta, because he's written best as a villain, and as a hero, he just plain sucks.

But, yeah, I feel the Saiyan arc tells a largely complete story on its own, and the Freeza arc as I know it is such a strong shift in goals, setting, central characters, and everything else, which also tells its own complete story, that I feel it's impossible to try and combine the two. Think Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and Back to the Future Part II and Back to the Future Part III. Both of those pairs of movies are narratively connected, but each tells its own story.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 23, 2014 1:37 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I agree with you, ABED. It personally drives me crazy to see those two lumped together. I think I understand why, though. As Cold Skin said, there isn't too much finality with the Saiyan arc. It leads right into the Freeza arc, and there are loose plot threads to be resolved. But then again, you could say that for nearly every arc of DB. Hell, the Freeza arc's last chapter ends with Freeza arriving to earth! There's certainly no finality there. The 22nd Budoukai ends with Kuririn's death. The 21st and Hunt for the DBs both end with Goku setting off on a new adventure. If finality is the criteria to define an arc, then these are the only arcs the series has:

Arc 1: Beginning through Ma Junior
Arc 2: Raditz through Cell
Arc 3: Boo, although even that doesn't end on a note to tie everything up. :lol:

Another reason I can think of, and I have nothing to back this up, is that Vegeta fans like to do this in order to help whitewash his character. Just like the dub did, pawn off his terrible behavior on to Freeza. Vegeta's not the villain. He's just a sub-villain of Freeza. But that just takes so much away from Vegeta, because he's written best as a villain, and as a hero, he just plain sucks.

But, yeah, I feel the Saiyan arc tells a largely complete story on its own, and the Freeza arc as I know it is such a strong shift in goals, setting, central characters, and everything else, which also tells its own complete story, that I feel it's impossible to try and combine the two. Think Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and Back to the Future Part II and Back to the Future Part III. Both of those pairs of movies are narratively connected, but each tells its own story.
Absolutely agree, but if people insist on lumping them together, that's their prerogative, as vehemently as I might not share their opinion.