Goku & Freeza's Five-Minute Battle!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:13 am

Not saying that I totally agree with Freeza minutes being longer than Goku minutes (if it was so I would love for Freeza to be my cell phone provider), but it's almost unbearably convenient for both Goku and Freeza, two being living on two different world to use the same word for the same unit of time. I would accept it a little more if Freeza had called his duralation of time "time units" or "time cycles" like some other alien beings. Though at the moment I can't seem to recall which ones did it.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:21 am

Why should they have different time when they speak exactly the same language? It doesn't make sense. Freeza probably knew other alien languages but preferred speaking Goku's language with him to make him understand, thus making it possible that Freeza used Earth time.
But this is kind of assumption.

ChaotixXero
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChaotixXero » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:11 am

I thought that AT used the same minutes all over his Dragon world...Or rather everyone in DragonBall uses the same time? Am I making myself clear?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:19 am

ChaotixXero wrote:I thought that AT used the same minutes all over his Dragon world...Or rather everyone in DragonBall uses the same time? Am I making myself clear?
Yeah. It's never stated that any of the alien beings function on different time than the residents of Earth. Just because a real-life situation with such would likely denote different time units, this is Dragon World and Toriyama-sensei wouldn't have cared to put them on different "time units".

Stoney

Post by Stoney » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:15 am

I don't think it has anything to do with different times, that sounds kind of lame.

The real reason is because it was supposed to be an epic final battle so it had to be long (and even longer in the anime) but if you're looking for an explanation in the story. I'd say Frieza underestimated the planet, or he didn't put enough power into his attack. So the planet took a lot longer to explode then he thought it would.

Or it's just "extreme super speed x 1,000"

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Godo wrote:Why should they have different time when they speak exactly the same language? It doesn't make sense. Freeza probably knew other alien languages but preferred speaking Goku's language with him to make him understand, thus making it possible that Freeza used Earth time.
But this is kind of assumption.
Shush, this is manga/anime, Japanese is THE universal language!

And much like in sci-fi, the entire galaxy uses the same time index.

This is kind of like debating how in movies, when there is a big bad countdown going that the big bad countdown clock always moves much slower unless it's actually being shown. >.>;;

The Chibi Kiriyama

Post by The Chibi Kiriyama » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:50 pm

If I may be so bold- why is it so hard to believe the entire fight happens within the span of 5 minutes when the bout Goku had against Vegeta using the Kaio-ken time three (by definition of the Kaio-ken) happens within the span of a heartbeat?
I'm going to put the debates to a rest- Broli is not the Legendary Super Saiyan. Goku is not the Legendary Super Saiyan. I'm the Legendary Super Saiyan. And while I'm at it, I'm Batman too.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:49 am

Well, I think you guys are forgetting simple physics here. Don't you remember Einstein's theory of relativity? The faster you go, the slower everything else around you seems to move. It's proven that even time slows down the closer you get to light speed. So, in that part of the story, the fight between Goku and Freeza was going so fast that those five minutes took almost forever to pass for them. And we're seeing the fight from their perspective, so of course it's going to be just as slow for us.

I imagine that had Toriyama described things from the viewpoint of an outsider watching the fight from a distance, the five or so minutes would have passed by normally, Nameck would have kersploded, and it probably wouldn't have taken up more than a couple of pages of the manga. Which, of course, wouldn't be fitting for an epic battle. *snickers*

And, well, as for your theories involving different units of time for Freeza, most of them are valid... if you're the kind of person who also obsesses over the fact that everybody in the story seems to speak a common language. I doubt Toriyama thought to clarify either problem, so you end up getting people who live on different ends of the universe, yet speak the same tongue and all have the same concept of time. Not really realistic, considering that in order to be so, humans would have already had to be living in space in large populations and hold some cultural influence over other species, but that's just how it rolls, I suppose. :lol:
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

MartianOddity
Beyond Newbie

Post by MartianOddity » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:23 am

I always believed it to be like KinoFourPaws said.
They move so incredibly fast that the fight who for them seemed to take a long time, for us it took only about five minutes or so.
When Trunks kills Freeza Bulma says "what happened?" implying she didn't catch what happened since it went so fast. For us viewers, we mostly follow the pace of the characters so we see what happens most of the time.
Is the explanation valid?
Good people last longer!

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:18 am

My argument for it not being 5 minutes is that if you would be summing up all the time it took for talk, it would probably be more than 5 minutes (Goku speaking with Freezer, Kaio speaking with Kami, and then with Guru, and then Guru speaking with Dende). That will say if they didn't speak as fast as they fought. Like sounding like Chip & Dale. And on that, all fighting. I agree on that they fight fast and that the fight probably didn't take more than 1 minute or two, but for speaking that much, they would have spoken FAST.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:37 am

Somebody should take the whole fight, from the time Freeza attacks Namek to when Namek explodes, and speed it up so it fits within five minutes.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Rocketman wrote:Somebody should take the whole fight, from the time Freeza attacks Namek to when Namek explodes, and speed it up so it fits within five minutes.
Someone should make (a.k.a. bug Mike into making) an AMV out of it. Find some good, high-octane song that's just a tad over 5 minutes, and from the exact second Freeza's attack screws up Namek, squeeze as much footage as possible from the fight into it, with a countdown timer running in the corner of the screen.

I'd so do it, but my footage collection (especially from the Freeza saga) is somewhat lacking.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:06 pm

This would be one of the situations where I wish the dub changed the dialogue so Freeza would say one hour. :?

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:47 pm

Castor Troy wrote:This would be one of the situations where I wish the dub changed the dialogue so Freeza would say one hour. :?
Or not said anything at all. Just kind of kept the whole 'five minutes' thing out of the situation. That doesn't even make a lick of sense to say that this is going to be over in five minutes unless it was an oversight or somthing on his part. I seriously doubt that there would have been a problem if he had said the whole five minutes thing after his attack on the core of Namek failed.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Time is weird in general for DragonBall. A couple examples of this is that you can count the times that it was night, Gotenks' fusion (his first attempt as super saiyan ends by flying around or his SSJ3 time), and obviously the Freeza fight. Mabye Freeza was just exaggerating about the time because it was obviously longer than that, especially in the anime. OMG, that was way, way longer in the anime..
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Somebody should take the whole fight, from the time Freeza attacks Namek to when Namek explodes, and speed it up so it fits within five minutes.
Someone should make (a.k.a. bug Mike into making) an AMV out of it. Find some good, high-octane song that's just a tad over 5 minutes, and from the exact second Freeza's attack screws up Namek, squeeze as much footage as possible from the fight into it, with a countdown timer running in the corner of the screen.

I'd so do it, but my footage collection (especially from the Freeza saga) is somewhat lacking.
Great idea by the way.. :idea:
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

superstar
Banned

Post by superstar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Stoney wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with different times, that sounds kind of lame.

The real reason is because it was supposed to be an epic final battle so it had to be long (and even longer in the anime) but if you're looking for an explanation in the story. I'd say Freeza underestimated the planet, or he didn't put enough power into his attack. So the planet took a lot longer to explode then he thought it would.

Freeza planet destruction estimation was correct. He even comments on the time as the fight nears to the end.

I would have to go with your second statement and say it was a battle at extreme super speed x 1,000."

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:56 pm

superstar wrote:
Stoney wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with different times, that sounds kind of lame.

The real reason is because it was supposed to be an epic final battle so it had to be long (and even longer in the anime) but if you're looking for an explanation in the story. I'd say Freeza underestimated the planet, or he didn't put enough power into his attack. So the planet took a lot longer to explode then he thought it would.

Freeza planet destruction estimation was correct. He even comments on the time as the fight nears to the end.

I would have to go with your second statement and say it was a battle at extreme super speed x 1,000."
Oh my God....
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

superstar
Banned

Post by superstar » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:14 pm

BrollysKin wrote:[Oh my God....
Translation: I really have nothing to say to refute Super Star's statement.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:01 am

superstar wrote:
BrollysKin wrote:[Oh my God....
Translation: I really have nothing to say to refute Super Star's statement.
Correct Translation of Brollyskin: "HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO KEEP BRINGING THIS CRAP UP!?!?!?!?"

Translation of Superstar: "I am overly cocky whilst trying to convince myself I'm right."

Seriously, let's not be a jerk, please.

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:41 am

Godo wrote:My argument for it not being 5 minutes is that if you would be summing up all the time it took for talk, it would probably be more than 5 minutes (Goku speaking with Freezer, Kaio speaking with Kami, and then with Guru, and then Guru speaking with Dende). That will say if they didn't speak as fast as they fought. Like sounding like Chip & Dale. And on that, all fighting. I agree on that they fight fast and that the fight probably didn't take more than 1 minute or two, but for speaking that much, they would have spoken FAST.
Well, keep in mind that a good chunk of the speech between characters is repeated, whether from what was said in the previous episode or right before the commercial breaks. I could probably imagine that everybody else outside of Goku and Freeza talked at a regular or semi-regular pace, since they weren't moving so quickly, but yeah, those two probably had to talk REALLY fast in order to fit all those lines in there. Maybe the scriptwriters at Toei added in some of those lines after the fact? Tends to happen a lot in, uhh, "historic" retellings. :lol:

But I'm gonna press my argument with another detail: even when the fight is about halfway over, there are cutscenes where Gohan's struggling to fly back and forth between the fight and the ship. If Gohan hasn't reached his destination in all the time the battle has been rolling on, they MUST have been fighting extremely fast. Otherwise he'd've been there and back, just like that. :)
SSj Kaboom wrote:

Oh my God, that would be such a fun project to do. I wish I had the required materials to do it now. Like Godo said... Chip n' Dale Super Warriors! 8D

Seriously, someone link me to some good-quality Freeza saga footage. I wanna do this video. :D
Last edited by KinoFourpaws on Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?