What moments in Dragon Ball makes you cry?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:12 am

The AMV called "My Resolution" really brought tears to my eyes. The whole thing is an emotional roller coaster. Those bastard villains... why can't everybody just live in peace? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?! :x I feel so sorry for Gohan... his childhood was taken away from him. Along with his father. :cry:

The lyrics "I'll be there to the end..." and the scene of Gohan's Father-Son Kamehameha was the final step for me. :cry:

Let's not forget the ending to FUNimation's Trunks special. The music was so suited for that scene... with Bulma saying "He's with you now, Goku."
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:09 am

Holy crap! I completly forgot about the scene where Vegeta dies for the first time, that had me crying like a little bitch as well.
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Jump Ultimate Stars (DS).
Currently obsessed with: Death Note, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Busou Renkin

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:09 am

I've cried a lot throught Dragon Ball.

1. Both of Vegeta's deaths.

2. Both of Piccolo's deaths.

3. Goku meeting Goten for the first time.

4. Goku saying goodbye to everyone while teaching Goten and Trunks the Fusion.

5. Last episode of GT.

6. The rest of GT.

7. Freeza's dub voice.

8. When that bastard called me a baby for crying at a cartoon.

9. YOU. :evil:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:09 am

The Tori-bot wrote: 9. YOU. :evil:
Don't make me come over there.

Anyway, times I've cried?

...Well, I've come close. I watched Vegeta's first death in japanese for the first time the other day, and it was... heartwrenching.

Besides that, not much but anywhere nobody hasn't mentioned already (that sentence was a mess)
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:04 pm

I also cry everytime people bash the Funi dub!!!!!!!!! :evil:

:roll:

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:29 am

I really love where Vegeta decides to sacrifice himself to destroy Buu. And he hugs Trunks for the first time ever, awwwwwww. :cry:
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Kristiann
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kristiann » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:45 am

I have to repeat some of the other things said here...

The 4th DBGT Ending (suggested by veshira) - The first time I saw this, the whole animation just tugged at my heartstrings. It was a fitting last ending song for the Dragon Ball series. (If they had "Sabitsuita..." as the music for the flashback montage at the end of DBGT, I think I would've cried harder.)

My Resolution (suggested by Steven Perry) - Okay, so it's a music video, but the music fit so well. Man it gave me goosebumps and I had to pause the video during the first "I'm Already There" line because I was fighting back tears. And of course, it contains the Goku sacrifice episode, which I will list down next...

"Bye-bye Everyone! Goku's Last Teleportation" episode - Goku's last words to everyone (a simple "bye-bye"), his last words to his son ("tell your mother I'm sorry"), and the heartwrenching screams (Gohan's "Otousan!" and Kuririn's "Goku!") - I feel like crying everytime.

"For the sake of the ones I love, Vegeta falls" episode - Same feelings as above, and Kuririn even screams again. ^^;

Aw gosh darn, there are so many, but those are the ones I really remember crying for. And anytime I think about the Dragon Ball characters growing up, I almost always tear up. :(
Want [b][url=http://db.kittenthecat.com/features/high-spirited-saga]Songs of a High-Spirited Saga[/url][/b]?
[b]DBZ Movie Trailers![/b]: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jjm1JU43z0]Namek on Fire[/url] / [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPiWvvKxsk]Resident Evil[/url] / [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhMaYs5OGfY]Pirates of the Galaxy[/url]
[url=http://kittenthecat.com]KittenTheCat.Com[/url] | [url=http://db.kittenthecat.com]Orange Star - A Personal Tribute to Dragon Ball[/url]

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:58 am

I cryed so much when Vegeta got his heart pierced by Frieza's Death Beam, even worse half way in the commercial break it had a CN happy holiday advert with the quote "Everyday is a happy day"... and I said "No it isn't someone just died can't you see that" :(

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:02 am

Kristiann wrote:My Resolution (suggested by Steven Perry) - Okay, so it's a music video, but the music fit so well. Man it gave me goosebumps and I had to pause the video during the first "I'm Already There" line because I was fighting back tears. And of course, it contains the Goku sacrifice episode, which I will list down next...
Oh, yeah, I'll third that. I have the video saved, and it brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it.

...which, of course, is when nobody else is around.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:07 am

Steven Perry wrote:The AMV called "My Resolution" really brought tears to my eyes. The whole thing is an emotional roller coaster. Those bastard villains... why can't everybody just live in peace? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?! :x I feel so sorry for Gohan... his childhood was taken away from him. Along with his father. :cry:

The lyrics "I'll be there to the end..." and the scene of Gohan's Father-Son Kamehameha was the final step for me. :cry:

Let's not forget the ending to FUNimation's Trunks special. The music was so suited for that scene... with Bulma saying "He's with you now, Goku."
The song you're referring to is 'Through Her Eyes' by Dream Theater :wink:

I also think that scene was a tear jerker, it was just the setting, the moment, and the music, everything matched perfectly.
The first time I actually had my heart ache while watching the series however, was when Vegeta made his final plea for Goku to get rid of Frieza once and for all, while his heart was peirced.

These are the two moments that really stood out for me and got me all emotional *sniff :(

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:21 am

Snail wrote:The song you're referring to is 'Through Her Eyes' by Dream Theater :wink:
I could've sworn it was Lonestar?

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:49 pm

Steven Perry wrote:with Bulma saying "He's with you now, Goku."
I'm sure Bulma said "He's in your hands now Goku" at the end of the History Of Trunks movie.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:17 pm

None actually. I just got a bit sad about the things mentioned before by you others, but after watching/reading the things mentioned, I thought "Hey, it's just fiction, let's go back into real life!". But still, Dragonball can be somewhat emotional.

GI_Judd2287
Beyond Newbie

Post by GI_Judd2287 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:34 pm

There wasn't really anything that made me cry, but there were a few that made me sort of upset. Namely the Bardock TV special and the end of GT. And that's about it.

I haven't seen the Japanese version of the episode, (and I think Chris Sabat is a decent VA), but Vegeta's death scene in the Freeza saga came off as melodramatic IMO. It was out of place. His death in the Buu saga was very good, however.
"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?"-- Captain America

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:46 pm

Oh man, I'm such a sucker for emotional moments. ^^;; Even though I've never seen it before, I'm sure the part in which Goku says goodbye to everyone towards the end of the Cell Game will choke me up. Especially in the Japanese.

Yeah, that and the Trunks Special.. because well, the angst.

My vote always and eternally goes to the Saiyajin Arc, during the battle with Nappa, and especially Chaozu's and Tenshinhan's deaths. T_T

Ah, sadness.....
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:10 pm

I never cried, however there were times when I was pretty sad:

-Vegeta's death on Namek.
-Kuririn's death on Namek.
-Kuririn's death in DBGT. (It was very sudden)

Those three were the only ones that got me sad. However, some got me really close to crying:

-End of DBZ
-End of DBGT

Its hard for me to watch the series end. I get choked up every time.

ONLY ONCE have I cried

Piccolo-"More like....burnt toast!" :lol:

(btw, I was crying in laughter if your're that dumb not to know) :lol:

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:43 pm

I also remember crying at the scene where Goku found Kuririn's dead body at the Tournament, at the end of the Tien saga :(

Son_GokouSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son_GokouSSJ4 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:13 pm

There were lots of special and touching moments that I hold dear in my heart, and that at that time made me cry or feel extremely sad.
For instance:

- Piccolo's sacrifice to save Gohan.

- Bardock's change of heart and last vision of his son.

- The death of Bora at the hands of Tao Pai Pai.

- Goku's speech while Gohan was battling Cell (Goku was already dead), he said that if we love someone that much, that certain someone will never die...I got goose bumps all over!

- The final moment of GT special (just beautiful).

- The last episode of GT.

- Vegeta's first death.

- Krilin's death at the hands of Freezer.

- Goku and Goten first meeting.

- Grandfather Gohan and Goku reunion.

I think these are the ones that really made me feel something very special about the series...
ORA SONGOKOU DA!

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:07 pm

I have only weeped once after an episode of DragonBall. The entire episode was well done, even though it was by the worst animation team. Tenshinhan defeats Goku, concluding the best Tenkaichi Budokai ever, both fighters are carried on the shoulders of citizens and finally, Krillin meets his end at the hands of Piccolo's minion. It is such an emotional rollercoaster as we cheer, gasp, and cry all in 26 minutes. I find it to be Toei's best adaptation of one of Toriyama's most enthralling and story-changing chapters.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:11 pm

:? Well, I haven't actually cried, but come close to it, with Mirai Gohan's death, GT Pan's near death in the GT Special, and the GT Ending itself.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.