What moments in Dragon Ball makes you cry?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:12 pm

Maphisto86 wrote:I also cry everytime people bash the Funi dub!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Opposite for me. I feel like part of me dies every time someone bashes the original version. :evil: Well that's why I'm here at good ol' Daizenshuu EX. :)
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:30 pm

I cry everytime I hear Goku's voice when he's supposed to be dead. I don't know why, but just hearing his voice, talking nicely, cheering somone up just makes me tear up.

Kristiann
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kristiann » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:22 am

Sebastian (SB) wrote: Opposite for me. I feel like part of me dies every time someone bashes the original version.
Same here. :shock: I'm shocked when I read some of the comments on YouTube (ex. "the japanese ver sux") My mind's screaming "OMG these poor children have been BRAINWASHED!" And everytime someone says the Japanese voices are girly/too high-pitched...it's like someone stabbed me and my devotion to Nozawa Masako-san's voice acting abilities. T______T

(Ah well, they are like the people of the DB Earth...mindlessly worshipping Mr. Satan. XD)
Want [b][url=http://db.kittenthecat.com/features/high-spirited-saga]Songs of a High-Spirited Saga[/url][/b]?
[b]DBZ Movie Trailers![/b]: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jjm1JU43z0]Namek on Fire[/url] / [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPiWvvKxsk]Resident Evil[/url] / [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhMaYs5OGfY]Pirates of the Galaxy[/url]
[url=http://kittenthecat.com]KittenTheCat.Com[/url] | [url=http://db.kittenthecat.com]Orange Star - A Personal Tribute to Dragon Ball[/url]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:36 am

Kristiann wrote:And everytime someone says the Japanese voices are girly/too high-pitched...it's like someone stabbed me and my devotion to Nozawa Masako-san's voice acting abilities. T______T
*twists the knife* Goku's voice is too girly. ^_^
(Ah well, they are like the people of the DB Earth...mindlessly worshipping Mr. Satan. XD)
Hercule. :P

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:26 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kristiann wrote:And everytime someone says the Japanese voices are girly/too high-pitched...it's like someone stabbed me and my devotion to Nozawa Masako-san's voice acting abilities. T______T
*twists the knife* Goku's voice is too girly. ^_^
Hercule. :P
You just said a baaaaaad word! DDDD:

Eh, well, I don't remember any particular points in Dragonball that made me cry, though I'm sure I've teared up at several of them. There's an AMV floating around the internet somewhere, though, by Majin Mebs (I think) based on the Trunks special. The combination of Cold's "Insane" and the scene where Trunks finds Gohan dead in the rain really gets to me. ;_;

No crying at the "Sabitsuita Machine Gun" ending to GT, though I spazzed near the end when Goku walked back to everybody as an adult--and still had his tail. I squee'd right there. x33
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:09 pm

Kristiann wrote:
Sebastian (SB) wrote: Opposite for me. I feel like part of me dies every time someone bashes the original version.
Same here. :shock: I'm shocked when I read some of the comments on YouTube (ex. "the japanese ver sux") My mind's screaming "OMG these poor children have been BRAINWASHED!" And everytime someone says the Japanese voices are girly/too high-pitched...it's like someone stabbed me and my devotion to Nozawa Masako-san's voice acting abilities. T______T

Wow...you're my new friend.
Rocketman wrote:*twists the knife* Goku's voice is too girly. ^_^
....And is that a bad thing? I mean come on, it compliments his child-like personality. Don't get me wrong I understand most people's feelings towards Son Goku's feminine voice, but I feel his high pitchness is only prevalent at times when he's screaming. Other times Nozawa can do a great Son Goku especially when calm, serious, & idiotic. Most people also have to understand that Nozawa's been doing Son Goku well WAY before DBZ & the fact that Toriyama himself chose Nozawa really testifies for a lot.....Alright enough of my rant since you're more likely not to care.
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:25 pm

I don't mind the original dub at all but I also like the Funi dub as an english alternative...and I just think they do a decent job that's all. 8) It's not perfect but some prefer the Ocean dub to the Funi one and yet the Ocean one edited so much out of the original whereas Funi wasen't nearly as coddling. I also just like their rendition of the voices... :)

Anywho... Back on topic... Whenever I see the fight between Goku and Piccolo at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai... it doesen't make me cry but rather cringe. Seeing that big hole through Goku's shoulder... :shock: I'm sure that left quite the scar (although it doesen't for some reason... :? ).

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:29 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Snail wrote:The song you're referring to is 'Through Her Eyes' by Dream Theater :wink:
I could've sworn it was Lonestar?
Nope, check the credits. :wink:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Snail wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Snail wrote:The song you're referring to is 'Through Her Eyes' by Dream Theater :wink:
I could've sworn it was Lonestar?
That's odd; my copy of the AMV doesn't have any credits. Weird.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:57 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Snail wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote: I could've sworn it was Lonestar?
That's odd; my copy of the AMV doesn't have any credits. Weird.
I think I've realized the problem here haha. I was talking about the last scene in the FUNimation version of Trunks' special.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:34 pm

Snail wrote:I think I've realized the problem here haha. I was talking about the last scene in the FUNimation version of Trunks' special.
Yup. Lonestar. I just checked.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:48 pm

So it's Lonestar for the AMV, and Through Her eyes - Dream Theater in FUnimation's version of Trunks' special.

Looks like we misunderstood eachother.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:14 pm

Real quick..
Sebastian (SB) wrote:
Rocketman wrote:*twists the knife* Goku's voice is too girly. ^_^
....And is that a bad thing? I mean come on, it compliments his child-like personality. Don't get me wrong I understand most people's feelings towards Son Goku's feminine voice, but I feel his high pitchness is only prevalent at times when he's screaming. Other times Nozawa can do a great Son Goku especially when calm, serious, & idiotic. Most people also have to understand that Nozawa's been doing Son Goku well WAY before DBZ & the fact that Toriyama himself chose Nozawa really testifies for a lot.....Alright enough of my rant since you're more likely not to care.
I personally don't think Son's voice is feminine at all. Maybe it's because I've gotten so used to hearing Nozawa's voice for so long or because of having listened to so many Japanese VA's, but I think the notion that the original Goku's voice is too "girly" mainly comes from those having mostly associated DB with FUNi's dub. Without any sort of significant immersion into the original, I might understand that reaction.
Anywho... Back on topic... Whenever I see the fight between Goku and Piccolo at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai... it doesen't make me cry but rather cringe. Seeing that big hole through Goku's shoulder... I'm sure that left quite the scar (although it doesen't for some reason... ).
There's tons of things about that fight that makes me cringe as well. Especially since the characters appeared much more vulnerable and lifelike back then. Later on, that kind of thing is taken for granted, but the raw brutality in those days made you feel for the characters.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:20 pm

I agree & understand with everything said above ^_^.

The Chibi Kiriyama

Post by The Chibi Kiriyama » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:57 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:....And is that a bad thing? I mean come on, it compliments his child-like personality. Don't get me wrong I understand most people's feelings towards Son Goku's feminine voice, but I feel his high pitchness is only prevalent at times when he's screaming. Other times Nozawa can do a great Son Goku especially when calm, serious, & idiotic. Most people also have to understand that Nozawa's been doing Son Goku well WAY before DBZ & the fact that Toriyama himself chose Nozawa really testifies for a lot.....Alright enough of my rant since you're more likely not to care.
Preach, man, preach. :D Tired of people saying Nozawa sounds wrong for the light-hearted Goku even after hearing how serious she can get in tones.

I have to say of all the moments Piccolo's death saving Son Gohan, Son Goku's near-death on Namek (before I was certain he wasn't going to die it really seemed like Toriyama chose a bad way for him to go out), Son Gohan's death in the movie special, Vegeta's reaction to Trunks' death, and Son Goku's goodbye speech are all up there in terms of heart-wrenching scenes. I love Dragon Ball's storyline, but before the Saiyan Saga and after the Cell Saga I had less invested in the series from a viewer's standpoint.
I'm going to put the debates to a rest- Broli is not the Legendary Super Saiyan. Goku is not the Legendary Super Saiyan. I'm the Legendary Super Saiyan. And while I'm at it, I'm Batman too.

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Feh, I've never cried for anything dragonball related. I was under denial that Piccolo was killed by Nappa and I was angry that he was stuck in hell in GT but that is different.. :wink:
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:46 pm

When Goku sactaficed himself to kill Raditz.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:47 pm

*Good guys dropping like flies against Piccolo Daimao

*Yamcha's death by Saibaman

*Vegeta's death on Namek

*Mirai Trunks being killed and Vegeta finally realizing, to his own shock, that YES he DID mean something to him, and then for the first time in his life seeking revenge for someone else's sake and not his own, when he goes berserk on Cell; arguably that's the entire turning point of Vegeta's morality and life

*Mirai Trunks's last panel with his mother and the realization that of the entire cast, he's the only one who was purposefully written out, never to be seen again; rather bittersweet (happy ending for him, and he deserves it, but I missed him)

*The famous suicide attack on Buu, and the precious moments with Trunks and Goten beforehand

*Goku flying off with Uub

*The Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku montage at the end of GT 64, the only part of the entire series I liked
Trunks & Goten forever

Mr.Piccolo

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:02 pm

I decided to be a bit more creative/honest and say Vegeta's deaths, Goku's deaths, and Krillins deaths were pretty dramatic. I thought the deaths of Gohan, Piccolo, Trunks, and I guess Goten :wink: were pretty messed up, they were pointless. I thought the whole series was going to go without Gohan dying but whatever. I would like to end this saying the people killed in the lookout by Super Buu was a pretty sad event. I mean come on, Marron into chocolate..?
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:13 pm

Dragonball has made me cry on several occasions and made me choke up more than I can recall. I think the emotion put into the characters is the main thing...I actually care about them! Here are the main few moments that come to mind:

1) When Goku sacrifices himself during the Cell Games and seeing Gohan's reaction. This scene makes me cry whether it be english or japanese. Usually, only one version will choke me up but for this one, either will do it, although I prefer the english. I think Stephanie Nadolny's cry of "DADDY!" was just perfect. So much hurt and pain in that single word. Likewise, Masako Nozawa's "OTOUSAN!" was heartwrenching. I first saw the scene in english and bawled like a baby. Then I saw it in Japanese and did the same thing.

2) Son Goku's death in the History of Trunks. Yes, I'm refering to the brief two to three minute opening when Gohan rushes home to find his father dead. This is one of two scenes in which I prefer the Japanese over the English (the other being when Gohan goes SSJ2). I tend to prefer the english voices because that's what I'm accustomed to but not in this scene. In my opinion, Masako Nozawa's shaky "otou-sa-a-an." was right on. Wasn't much talking or action done because there wasn't much needed. That one word said everything.

3) Son Gohan's Death in History of Trunks. This scene it was a mix of the emotion in Trunks' voice upon finding Gohan and his actions. Seeing him pull at his hair and dig his nails into his palms so hard they bled really spoke out to me, seemed to show me how much Gohan meant to him and how his death was such a blow to him. Looked pretty much like Trunks' whole world had just crashed in around him. Very poignant.

4)Goku telling everyone not to wish him back at the end of the Cell Saga. Gohan's physical expression was the kicker for me; his eyes looked like he'd been stabbed in the stomach.

5)Goku returning to Other World in the Buu Saga. I loved the itneraction between Goten and Goku. Goten barely knew his father and now he was going away again. I liked how Goten was reluctant to rush out to hug him but ChiChi figured it out and told him to go ahead. I forget if Goku said anything in Japanese but in English I liked his reassurance to Goten that it was alright to want that. Thought it was cute.

There were a few others that made me choke up but those five are my main heart jerkers.

Ulisa:)
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for