How'd you react to Budokai 2 not being in the HD Collection?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

How'd you react to Budokai 2 not being in the HD Collection?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:08 pm

For anyone who's been around the DBZ gaming community for quite some time, they would be aware that Budokai 2 is sorta the black sheep of the Budokai series yet plenty of people were pissed it was excluded from the 2012 collection. Now I want to know how ALL of you reacted.

Personally, I was a bit bummed it wasn't in the collection. While it may be LEAST popular of the trilogy (heck it's probably my least favorite as well), it was still part of the series and leaving it out just felt wrong. I mean, when people think of the Budokai series the first games that come to mind most likely are Budokai 1, 2, and 3. Y'know, the three quinessentional games?

Anyways, speak.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: How'd you react to Budokai 2 not being in the HD Collect

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:12 pm

I didn't miss it. There were things I loved about it, and some stages I miss like that floaty temple. But having 1 and 3 was more than enough for me... I only really play 3 anyway.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:34 pm

I didn't care. Budokai 1 was likely throw in because of the 10th anniversary of the Budokai series and Budokai 3 was added since Budokai 3 on it's own will likely won't sell well at retail. Budokai 1 is the reason why DBZ games are still being made today and I don't know any other fighting franchise based on a license franchise that has lasted this long. Sure there's Capcom's Marvel games but they stop making them once and a while, DBZ had a new game coming out once every year since 2002 expect in 2013.

Budokai 2 is a better game, but I can live without it. I do remember fans had mixed feelings for Budokai 2 even when it came out back in 2003. People seem to either love or hate Budokai 2.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:37 pm

I'm pretty sure I initially expected it, but wasn't surprised at it not being included. I'm kind of indifferent to it. If it was on there, I would have played it to completion, but it was certainly no big loss to me. Although, I'm pretty sure it would have been a simple matter to remaster B2 as well, and just throw it on the a Dual-Layered Blu-Ray... Emulators can easily pull it off.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:28 pm

I honestly don't really care about Budokai 2 and Bandai Namco shouldn't have even bothered with this but instead hiring Dimps to make a new game for the 360/PS3 during 2012.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:59 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:I honestly don't really care about Budokai 2 and Bandai Namco shouldn't have even bothered with this but instead hiring Dimps to make a new game for the 360/PS3 during 2012.
It's kind of been implied that Xenoverse has been in the making for the past few years, actually...

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:57 am

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:It's kind of been implied that Xenoverse has been in the making for the past few years, actually...
That's the first of it I read.

And if so, why wouldn't have Dimps had fixed the dashing which is one of the most important aspects of it?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 am

I was a bit disappointed, but at the same time I was just super happy to see Bandai Namco acknowledge the old fans after so long. I still enjoyed the Collection and had a blast with it, but yeah Budokai 2 would have made it better. It was both my first PS2 and DBZ game.

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:55 pm

I was pretty disapppointed. A HD version of Budokai2, maybe even with the Japanese-exclusive features like Kuriza would ahve been awesome. I may be in the minority here but I liked the board game gameplay of the single player mode.
Besides, what kind of "collection" is a collection of 2 games out of a series that spawned 4 games, counting Infinite World?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:13 pm

No reason to not have included it; Namco-Bandai obviously just wanted to put in the minimum amount of effort they could get away with in producing an HD collection. Why go to the trouble of remastering three games when it will probably sell just as well with two (which are the most popular ones among fans anyway)?

"Hey, 'collection' means more than one game, right...? *sigh* Fine, put Budokai 1 on there quick!"
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Zero f**ks were given from me. Budokai 2 had a crappy story mode and the gameplay was barely improved from Budokai 1. The only redeeming factor of Budokai 2 was the soundtrack, which was awesome.

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Jord wrote: A HD version of Budokai2, maybe even with the Japanese-exclusive features like Kuriza would ahve been awesome.
That's pretty much the only reason why I would be annoyed, but I didn't really care... after seeing that the collection was censored I chose not to buy it. I'm not someone who really cares about "uberviolence"... but I do dislike censorship when I see it as needless, and sadly I feel that with the censorship that a lot of the immersion is lost with the two games that were included
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Yeah, exactly. What was that weird floating temple? Also, I did like the snowy arena, which came back in Shin Budokai 1.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Flopro18
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Flopro18 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:05 pm

I didn't like Budokai 2 so I guess I didn't mind. I didn't really care for story mode so when I heard it wasn't included I felt nothing but a bit of happiness. Put the best foot forward and all that.

Videlphia76ers
Beyond Newbie

Post by Videlphia76ers » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:55 pm

The dynamic of the skill slots deciding the battle more than the actual fighting was kind of interesting but for people expecting a fighting game, I could see how it's a letdown. I've personally logged more hours in 2 than any other game of the Budokai trilogy so when they announced a collection without it, it felt like a raw deal.
Cool dudes do cool stuff like 5 Chipotle burritos

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:44 pm

I honestly had mixed feelings about it. Half of me didn't care because Budokai 3 as a whole beats the hell out of 2, but Half of me was upset because I LOVED Budokai 2 and thought the story was way more fun to play then the other two(or three) Budokai games, an engaging, cool RPG chess-like game with what-if battles. But yeah, like I said again, I wasn't that upset. Maybe if Toei didn't get rid of Yammamoto during the release, then I'd be PISSED as a mofo, cuz Budokai 2 had one of the best soundtracks out there! Partially plagiarized or not!

*sigh* I remember the days of 2003 when I played the shit out of this, along with some other games like Vice City, Midnight Club 2, Soul Calibur 2, and Guilty Gear XX(original one if I recall), man those the days! 8)
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:21 am

I remember I try to replay Budokai 2 in 2005 while waiting for Budokai Tenkachi and I turn it off like 20 minutes later. I felt like playing Budokai 3 again after I was done.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/