Episode #0047 (15 October 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:56 pm

ChaotixXero wrote:Watching it all straight would be about 32 hours right (less than actually sinc e I doubt that all the episodes are exactly 30 minutes long each)?
Well, each episode would be about twenty minutes, so 64 episodes would be 1280 minutes, which equates to 21 hours and 20 minutes.

Of GT.

In one sitting.

I thought GT was okay and everything, but Mike, you've got your work cut out for you. :)

*marks calender* October 13, 2009. I'll see if I can be around. :wink:

Phred
Beyond Newbie

Post by Phred » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:22 pm

Aw man, the game came out already? I had just thought of a great podcast idea where you do a restrospective look at all the DBZ fighting games leading up to Sparking Neo, but now it's too late :/
At least the show was great. I do likes me some cutscenes.
[url=http://phred.thegreatbeyond.net]Comix Productions[/url]

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:43 pm

I#ve not checked out the podcast before, but decided to check out this one due to an interest in opinions on Sparking Neo. First of all, good job. It was interesting to hear people's opinions, especally from fans of Soul Calibur, SF and KoF (all three of which I also enjoy). Frankly I'm hesitant about this game as by the sounds of it, there ain't much of an improvement over the last one, but I will wait for the second one.

Second, if you want news, Gollancz is re-publishing some of Viz's manga in the UK. They're near the end of DB (14 is out but I'm not sure about 15) and they should come out monthly (though there has been a delay recently). Obviusly this probably won't interest about 90% of the listeners (for example I imported the Viz manga and was done with DB about a year before Gollancz started), but if nothing else it migth be worth mentioning.

Oh and if you want to talk about bad edits, check out Bridge's dub of the movies. Some of their most famous changes include Piccolo becoming Big Green and the DragonBalls being called the Crystal Balls. I'd say more but DB seems to be dead over here.

Sorry, I'm rambling. But anyway, all in all I enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:48 pm

Caracal wrote: Second, if you want news, Gollancz is re-publishing some of Viz's manga in the UK. They're near the end of DB (14 is out but I'm not sure about 15) and they should come out monthly (though there has been a delay recently). Obviusly this probably won't interest about 90% of the listeners (for example I imported the Viz manga and was done with DB about a year before Gollancz started), but if nothing else it migth be worth mentioning.
Really? Can we get some comments about translation quality, cencorship, edits?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:56 pm

Here are my thoughts on re-watching DBGT...

When I first tried watching the series, I was probably at the height of my fandom. Hell, one of my first tapes EVER was the very end of DBGT raw (and I loved it... well, the last two episodes).

If there was ever a time when I was going to watch DBGT and enjoy it to the fullest extent that I could, it was when I tried to. I loved the show, I was younger, and everything was still "magical".

I'm not the same person, these days. I've seen too much. While I still love DragonBall and can pick out its magical charms pretty often, it's not the same experience as it was back when I was in high school and would get a new batch of fansubs... it was like Christmas every time.

One of my biggest problems is that I think some of the *ideas* in DBGT are *great*; I love the idea of bringing back the Tsufuru... I think the idea of having repercussions from using the DBs so much is genius beyond belief...

But it's so. fucking. boring.

Anyway...

Cool to hear that we're getting some new listeners, still. I mean, I *know* we are getting more all the time, but it's cool to hear from them. Also, I know that not everyone likes the video game talk (you're the very small minority, though :P), so we really try to have other enjoyable things so everyone can have something to relate to.

Regarding Sparking! NEO, though, what kinds of things do you all want to hear about next episode?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:29 pm

How about the different game modes available this time.

How many levels are there, and what exactly are they ?

Are all transformations the same, or have they added little touches here and there to make us go " oh, just like in the show ! ". hehe...

And what i really want to know is :

When i played the original game, i had fun for quite abit, but eventually things go repetetive and kinda boring unlike budokai 3 (Which is still the best in my opinion). So i was wondering....is it the same with this game ?
If it is....it's a darn shame. I know the vast character roster will keep anyone going for quite a while, but i mean, there has to be more, To keep players going..

How is that ? :)
"Oh dear...."

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote: One of my biggest problems is that I think some of the *ideas* in DBGT are *great*; I love the idea of bringing back the Tsufuru... I think the idea of having repercussions from using the DBs so much is genius beyond belief...

But it's so. -fudging-. boring.
Never any love for Super 17 (from anyone). I don't get it!

Well, I think one of the best things about GT is how it's just begging for us aspiring writers (the ones who know what they're doing, that is) to do something good with it. I see GT as like a sick little puppy that needs nursing back to health, or a big pile of random, disorganized LEGO pieces just waiting to be put together into something great (like a spaceship; that's all I usually build).

Anyway, I should listen to the podcast more often. It's just hard to find the time.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:08 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: One of my biggest problems is that I think some of the *ideas* in DBGT are *great*; I love the idea of bringing back the Tsufuru... I think the idea of having repercussions from using the DBs so much is genius beyond belief...

That saga had too many plotholes.

IMHO, the Baby arc was great. And the Evil Dragon arc was relatively boring until Si Xing Long and San Xing Long showed up.
VegettoEX wrote:Regarding Sparking! NEO, though, what kinds of things do you all want to hear about next episode?
How about characters that AREN'T in it? Yeah, that's right.

I'm a whiny fanboy and I want my Piccolo Fucking Daimao.

American Pelican
Not-So-Newbie

Post by American Pelican » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:08 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Caracal wrote: Second, if you want news, Gollancz is re-publishing some of Viz's manga in the UK. They're near the end of DB (14 is out but I'm not sure about 15) and they should come out monthly (though there has been a delay recently). Obviusly this probably won't interest about 90% of the listeners (for example I imported the Viz manga and was done with DB about a year before Gollancz started), but if nothing else it migth be worth mentioning.
Really? Can we get some comments about translation quality, cencorship, edits?
I'm not sure what Viz's translation is like, so I can't really make comparisons, but anyway... On the first page, when Goku is on the log, he says to the chimps: 'Hey! Wazzup bro!'... Urgh. But other than that, it can be a little iffy, but name translations are okay: Son Goku, Kame-sennin, Kuririn etc. Once again, I've never read the Viz manga, so I don't know if the translations are the same. But anyway.
(I've gotta stop saying: 'but anyway'... :roll: )

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:13 pm

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:

Which makes it even more fun and challenging to "fix."

Okay, off-topic. Sorry. I'm done.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:04 pm

These two minutes deserved to be YTMNDed.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:23 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Regarding Sparking! NEO, though, what kinds of things do you all want to hear about next episode?
When you get a good chunk of the characters & content unlocked, I wanna hear much about the multiplayer & the tag team modes. I don't think you guys delved much into that.

I'm kind suprised that Meri didn't include Kiwi on her top 5. Kiwi is the ultimate random henchman.....who gets a little spotlight, then gets killed.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:28 pm

But it's so. fucking. boring.
Really? I find the Bebi arc more exciting than some of the stuff in DBZ. Like I said before, to me, it feels like it moves at a quick and interesting pace. The evil Dragons are fun, the first few being throw backs to the silly villains in DB, and the last few being typical DBZ fighters. Oh well, to each their own, I suppose.

SSj Kaboom wrote:Never any love for Super 17 (from anyone). I don't get it!
Because it feels, to me, like a terrible fanfiction. Those ones that popped up in the 90s. You know what I'm talking about.

"After Super Saiyajin Goku level 86 defeats Cell's grandfather fused with Piccolo, the balance of the universe goes dangerously off course! This tear in the dimensions allow Kewi to return, from THE NEXT DIMENSION, and battle SSJ63 Vegeta, and Hyper Mystic Ultra Legendary Gohan Omega fused with Piccolo."

I had a lot of free time in the 90s, too.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:31 am

The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:

IMHO, the Baby arc was great. And the Evil Dragon arc was relatively boring until Si Xing Long and San Xing Long showed up.
VegettoEX wrote:Regarding Sparking! NEO, though, what kinds of things do you all want to hear about next episode?
How about characters that AREN'T in it? Yeah, that's right.

I'm a whiny fanboy and I want my Piccolo Fucking Daimao.

I want to know where both he AND Chi-Chi are after Chou Dbz showed us they can be included in the games. TT_TT
All those characters and not enough love for late DB.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:40 am

Well most of the Booty-kai Ten-kai-ichi crowd is compromised of overhyperactive kids & the Japan is the gay crowd.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:22 am

desirecampbell wrote:Really? Can we get some comments about translation quality, cencorship, edits?
To the best of my knowledge they're just re-prints of what Viz has done. I decided to collect some of the volumes as I started collecting the DB manga when it first came out, i.e. in the bigger format. When they switched to the smaller one and I learnt of Gollancz's plans, I decided to re-buy all the "big volumes" so I'd have them all at the same size. Anyway, from what I've seen all they cut out is the cover art and letters page from the back of the book. Otherwise it's a carbon copy of the latest publication that was released in the US. I think the image on the back of the book may be different to the US version, but I need to memorise what Viz used on some of the volumes and compare them to what Gollancz used next time I'm out and about.
When I review a game I like to list the pros and cons. For example if I was reviewing Makai Kingdom I'd do it like this:
Pros:
Enjoyable game play
Lots of nice classes to use

Cons:
Levelling up can be a pain
Have to ensure you have a good amount of free time before you sit down and play

I'd like to perhaps hear something like that at the end of the review. Another thing I'd like to hear (though you may already intend to do this) is to hear what you think of the game one week later. Do you still feel it's as good/bad as it was when you started.

And maybe in a few weeks time you could give us another update, say "Sparking! Neo; A fortnight later" - Are you still playing the game or is it gathering dust under a pile of other games?
Sebastian (SB) wrote:Well most of the Booty-kai Ten-kai-ichi crowd is compromised of overhyperactive kids & the Japan is the gay crowd.
Uh, I'm getting the English version because for me it's easier. I have no means of playing import PS2 games and after speaking to some people about it, I find it'll be to much hassle to do it (which is a shame as there are some games I'd like to import). Though if it's any consolation, I always call the series Sparking.

DBZ-Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ-Guy » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:35 am

Phred wrote:Aw man, the game came out already? I had just thought of a great podcast idea where you do a restrospective look at all the DBZ fighting games leading up to Sparking Neo, but now it's too late :/
At least the show was great. I do likes me some cutscenes.
I'm all for that! I'd love to get an episode about all the Dragon Ball games starting at Dragon Power for the NES/Famicom going up to the recent PS2 and GBA games, and maybe mentioning games like Battlestadium D.O.N and Jump Superstars? I know it may seems to take a very long time but you could only talk about the games for like 2 - 4 minutes. And the classic Famicom games you could only talk about for like 1 minute since I'm sure it's not that much to say about them. I also know it possible that Mike doesnt have all the Famicom games but then you could only mention them and go on.

Or you could split it in 2 episode and talk about Famicom/Super Famicom/GB/PS1 games in one episodes and talk about PS2/GC/Xbox/GBA/DS/PSP games in another. One episode with the classics and one with the newer stuff. I think it would be a very interesting episode! :wink:

Anyway, stuff for the next episode? How about some sort of rating? After hearing the Sparking, D.O.N and the SDBZ reviews i always wondered what the Daizenshuu staff's ratings would be. My guess is Sparking - 6/10, D.O.N - 7/10 and SDBZ - 9/10.
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii), Jump Ultimate Stars (DS).
Currently obsessed with: Death Note, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Busou Renkin

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:00 am

I agree with what was said about GT. It had the potential to be as good, if not better than Z, but it was presented in a bad way. That's where Kaboom comes in.. if we give him pressure, he has to finish his stories that I want to read hahaha

*P.S. No one should be watching that much tv in one sit in. Consult a doctor or your Tivo for more information.
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

kvon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kvon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:11 am

How about discussing the excitement of flying around the world map? Is it better or worse than Budokai 3? How about walking around town? And discuss some new additions to the combo system new to the Sparking! series.

And more cursing!
kvon is an alternative name to Kevin

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Hell, one of my first tapes EVER was the very end of DBGT raw (and I loved it... well, the last two episodes)
Ironically, not only was that my first tape, but those were the first Japanese episodes of ANY of the Dragonball shows I've ever seen XD;

I agree about the boredom though. Like you described with Z, even GT has some of its cool moments. The entire Super 17 arc, and some of the dragons (specifically Suu/Nouva San/Eis) were the most enjoyable to me.

I'll have to think of some suggestions soon, but also do you possibly plan on doing a character screenshot 'tidbit' section for Sparking! NEO, or possibly just an extension of the first Sparking section? I liked those character shots you did.