New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:37 pm

InfernoSoul wrote:...not a DVD interlaced encoding
We better not be getting an interlaced encoding. It had better be progressive with pulldown flags! DVDs can do 480p.

That said, the overlaid screenshot above is exactly what I worry about. Granted, that 'trailer' may have been created from DVDs already out there for all we know, but if I'm unhappy with the results, I'm considering just taking my time to order the Dragon Box individual sets.

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:42 pm

ect5150 wrote:
InfernoSoul wrote:...not a DVD interlaced encoding
We better not be getting an interlaced encoding. It had better be progressive with pulldown flags! DVDs can do 480p.
All DVDs are interlaced encodings. It's progressive-scan players that allow you to upconvert them from 480i to 480p.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:02 pm

tarsonis wrote:All DVDs are interlaced encodings. It's progressive-scan players that allow you to upconvert them from 480i to 480p.
No... some videos are progressive scans at 23.976 frames per seconds. Those DVDs have "pulldown" flags to tell the player when to repeat the frames to achieve interlaced output to work with standard TV's. But the video can still be encoded via progressive.

I don't like using Wikipedia as a source, but I've got to be out the door in a few, so...

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Frame_rate
Wikipedia wrote: On NTSC DVDs MPEG-2 video can be either 29.97 frames per second or 23.976 frames per second, (with the player repeating frames via 3:2 pulldown to achieve NTSC's standard 29.97 frames per second) while MPEG-1 video can only be 29.97 frames per second. Interlacing is only supported for MPEG-2 video on both PAL and NTSC DVDs. 16:9 aspect ratio anamorphic video is only supported at 720x576/480, and all resolutions support 4:3 aspect ratio video.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:11 pm

tarsonis wrote:All DVDs are interlaced encodings. It's progressive-scan players that allow you to upconvert them from 480i to 480p.
Deinterlacing does not equal Upconverstion.

One is reinterleaving frames to produce the original progressive picture ("progressive" DVD's are encoded on DVD as interlaced field pairs that can be reinterleaved by a progressive player to recreate the original progressive video), and one is converting DVD-video directly to an HD video signal for use with an HDTV.

-Corey

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:12 pm

Wow. See, this is why I gave up on making AMVs for now. I have absolutely no idea what any of this crap means.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:18 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Deinterlacing does not equal Upconverstion.
My mistake, bad choice of words. I know it doesn't really upconvert (since it's still 480), but rather deinterlace as you said.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:41 pm

Drifting back on topic, an English dub with the Japanese score?!! Why didnt anyone tell me? This will make it so much easier to watch.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:50 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:"progressive" DVD's are encoded on DVD as interlaced field pairs that can be reinterleaved by a progressive player to recreate the original progressive video)
I'm not sure I follow the point you're trying to make (whether for, or against)... Either way... MPEG-2 video streams fully support progressive video. Even on DVD. Here's a better explaination:

Source: http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_rep ... lldown.htm
MPEG-2 and DVD

So the basis of this technique is to restore proper timing by generating redundant image information from four film frames within every five NTSC video frames. But wouldn't it be silly to waste 20% of the storage space on every DVD with duplicate picture data?Fortunately the MPEG-2 standard nicely avoids this inefficiency. When a film source is encoded for presentation on DVD, it is stored at 24 frames per second; each video frame contains all the picture information from each film frame. There is no redundancy or duplication. Such a transfer is written to DVD as 720-pixel wide by 480-pixel high interlaced frames (where each frame contains two 720 by 240 fields), and there are only 24 frames for each second of film. This is known as 480i24. On each DVD encoded from a film source, a flag is inserted within the MPEG-2 data stream that instructs the player to repeat certain fields to reconstruct the 29.97 frame per second interlaced video. The player obliges by performing the 3:2 pulldown in real-time, continually creating interlaced frame sequences just like the one shown in the above figure, "The Telecine 3:2 Pulldown Process for NTSC Video."This capability enables the player to produce video compatible with conventional displays that were designed based on the NTSC video standard.(As we shall see later, progressive scan DVD players take a different approach.)
From ripping my own DBZ vids, the current FUNI discs do have 20% waste the artilce refers to. Removing it, will allow a higher average bit per pixel ratio for the encoding process, thus allow higher quality.

But we're getting off topic...

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:53 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Wow. See, this is why I gave up on making AMVs for now. I have absolutely no idea what any of this crap means.
I think I learned most of it from ripping DBZ DVDs for my own personal use. FUNI's DVDs have the oddest DVD structure I've seen across ANY DVDs out there. So, to do it properly, from start to finish, you basically had to learn all the ins and outs, otherwise, things were out of sync.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Why release the first three seasons of SpongeBob in entire volumes and then divide Season 4?
Well, the show's new episodes are currently from season 4. So, it was kinda stupid thing to release part of a season, while the entire season hasn't even aired yet :roll:

Getting back on topic, Tenka-Ichi put up a little size comparison image on kanzentai.

I'm too tired to check back, but was it ever specified which type of widescreen the footage will be released in (if it's true about the whole widescreen thing)? For those that don't know, there's one kind of widescreen that fits the movie screen perfectly (at least that's my reasoning), but still has black bars, even for widescreen TVs. Then there's the other widescreen that fits widescreen TVs perfectly, but supposedly doesn't take up the entire movie screen.

EDIT: The announcement also says something about a behind the scenes thing with the whole process of cleaning the footage, etc. Do you think the discs will have enough room for other stuff like this, or do you think they'll just have that one special feature, or do you think they'll just have the normal boring FUNi trailers and character profiles?
Last edited by DaemonCorps on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:06 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Wow. See, this is why I gave up on making AMVs for now. I have absolutely no idea what any of this crap means.
You and me both.... and I make AMVs!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:41 pm

Meri wrote:
You and me both.... and I make AMVs!
When it comes to the artistic side of AMV-making, then I've got talent, aspiration, and ideas out the wazoo. But when it comes to the technical aspect of it... eh, I'm severely lacking. Too lacking to have anything I make on my own end up looking decent.

But I'll learn eventually, and when I do... watch out, world!

I should beg Mike to to become my sensei... :?

Holy spam in a tin can, I think this is the first time Lady Meri has ever directly addressed me! I'm not worthy! :shock:
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:29 am

DaemonCorps wrote: Getting back on topic, Tenka-Ichi put up a little size comparison image on kanzentai.

If that's truly all that gets cut, this isn't that big of a deal to me, heh.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:52 am

Tenken wrote:If that's truly all that gets cut, this isn't that big of a deal to me, heh.
Hmm. If that's an accurate representation, then I tend to agree. The earlier projections were quite frightening, to be honest, but this here? . . . I could live with it.

I am opposed to the widescreen decision, because it runs afoul with illogic. But if it turns out to be final, I think I've made it clear many times by now that I'll easily accept it. This release is still on-track to be worlds better than anything FUNimation has done for DBZ so far.

And the fact is . . . meh. We already have full-frame DVDs. Not great ones, but we have them. Would a full-frame re-release be the best and most proper thing? Absolutely. But I think FUNimation is trying to give us something new with this release . . . and despite my own reservations, I can respect that. Definitely, I think they could have picked a DIFFERENT way to stress the "new" (like the interchangeable BGM-- that's just awesome), but with this we'll be given a choice that, ironically, we shouldn't even be getting. I mean, who could have anticipated that they would release the whole series twice over?

However misguided, however pitiable . . . I am still grateful for what they're finally doing now.

Yes, I'm still all for this release. And besides, we still have a little under three months before this hits the shelves; there's still a lot more that can develop between now and then . . . not to mention whatever "exclusive" information the Big Three can reveal this weekend.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:59 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I am opposed to the widescreen decision, because it runs afoul with illogic.
Illogical decisions? From Funi? Never.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:07 am

desirecampbell wrote:Illogical decisions? From Funi? Never.
Kirk: Absolutely not. What do you think of this FUNimation business, Mr. Spock?

Spock: (*head explodes from illogic*)

Seriously, though. I still remember when that we would even get subtitles over a Japanese track was unlikely at best. Mr. Fukunaga himself once remarked that it would never happen, yet here we are.

I feel like we've come close to crossing to the other side of a great and vast desert.

EDIT: "The Definitive Dragon Ball Z Collection," they're calling it now. Hmm . . .
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:35 am

So where does the footage added onto the sides come from?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

InfernoSoul

Post by InfernoSoul » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:39 am

DaemonCorps wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Why release the first three seasons of SpongeBob in entire volumes and then divide Season 4?
Well, the show's new episodes are currently from season 4. So, it was kinda stupid thing to release part of a season, while the entire season hasn't even aired yet :roll:

Getting back on topic, Tenka-Ichi put up a little size comparison image on kanzentai.

I'm too tired to check back, but was it ever specified which type of widescreen the footage will be released in (if it's true about the whole widescreen thing)? For those that don't know, there's one kind of widescreen that fits the movie screen perfectly (at least that's my reasoning), but still has black bars, even for widescreen TVs. Then there's the other widescreen that fits widescreen TVs perfectly, but supposedly doesn't take up the entire movie screen.

EDIT: The announcement also says something about a behind the scenes thing with the whole process of cleaning the footage, etc. Do you think the discs will have enough room for other stuff like this, or do you think they'll just have that one special feature, or do you think they'll just have the normal boring FUNi trailers and character profiles?
Masked is when the film is shot in the standard ratio, but the top and bottom of the picture are hidden or masked off by the aperture plate in the projector. Alternatively, a hard matte in the camera may be used to mask off those areas while filming. The picture quality is reduced because only part of the image is being expanded to full height. Sometimes films are designed to be shown in cinemas in masked widescreen format but the full unmasked frame is used for television.

Anamorphic widescreen(optimized for widescreen tvs) camera lenses compress the image horizontally so that it fits a standard frame, and anamorphic projection lenses restore the image and spread it over the wide screen.
[i]“Bakana hazuwa nai! Sonna hazuga arumonka! Sonna hazuwa zettaini nai!” -Vegeta[/i]
[i]"I run faster with a knife"[/i]

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:54 am

(WTF?!)
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:57 am

All this technical talk is driving me crazy, and at the same time I'm learning quite a bit from this entire discussion.

Anyhow, concerning the whole widescreen ordeal, from what we see here; http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/8320/syncom5.jpg I guess it isn't a large amount of material being hidden away, but it certainly is still very bothersome.

My guess is that a few months after a few of the season sets are released, FUNi will present and release the 'full-screen editions', along with an over the top, amped up trailer of course.

Nevertheless, I'm still going to purchase the season sets. =P.