Could FUNimation survive without Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Could FUNimation survive without Dragon Ball?

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:16 am

Basically, if FUNimation loses the North American rights to Dragon Ball to either 4K-Konami or Viz Media, could the company survive without the longest popular series made in Japan? That could be a huge massive loss of them leaving the only remaining popular Shonen Jump property, One Piece. In that case, there could be possible job cuts or maybe having moving some VAs like Sabat, Cook to Viz or Konami.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Ajay

Re: Could FUNimation survive without Dragon Ball?

Post by Ajay » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:29 am

Yeah, very easily. They've got licenses to hundreds of hugely popular shows. Psycho Pass, Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan, and way, way more.

Even their abysmal streaming service is hugely popular. They've branched out from sub simulcasts to dub simulcasts, too. They could oust Dragon Ball and still do absolutely fine.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:43 am

Dragon Ball may be the #1 franchise Funimation have but if they end up losing it, nothing would change. They have tons of shows, very popular ones as well, to fall back on. They would be more than fine.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:57 am

I think losing Dragon Ball would be a huge hit, to the point where they might have to downsize a bit. Survive, though? Absolutely, they could. They're the biggest anime licensing/dubbing company in the English-speaking world. Taking away only their #1 property wouldn't change that.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:23 pm

One Piece has more episodes than the entire DB anime franchise combined (unless you meant "longest" in the sense of having been around the longest or something, and not sheer volume of content that they can keep dipping into for a consistent revenue stream).

But yeah, I think DB was probably pretty vital to Funimation's survival back in the mid-late 00s when the US anime market kinda crashed, but if they were to suddenly lose it now, in 2015, they'd be fine. Well, maybe not "fine" but they'd easily survive. They have a lot of other popular series now as mentioned, and more than that they're generally much quicker to adapt to market trends than their competitors (who were relatively reluctant to embrace things like online streaming and doing away with 3-4 episode single DVD releases).

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:26 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I think losing Dragon Ball would be a huge hit, to the point where they might have to downsize a bit. Survive, though? Absolutely, they could. They're the biggest anime licensing/dubbing company in the English-speaking world. Taking away only their #1 property wouldn't change that.
It sums a bit though as Dragon Ball is FUNimation's money-making machine since Gen Fukunaga founded the company in 1994. Think about CBC, they had Hockey Night in Canada as a money-making machine and generated revenue for its other programs. Since the budget cuts from Ottawa struggled their chances, they lost the rights to produce NHL games to Rogers but continues to air the games for four more years under a time-brokerage agreement.

Without Dragon Ball, the company still has Fullmetal Alchemist, Case Closed/Detective Conan, Soul Eater, Bleach, etc...
Theophrastus wrote:One Piece has more episodes than the entire DB anime franchise combined (unless you meant "longest" in the sense of having been around the longest or something, and not sheer volume of content that they can keep dipping into for a consistent revenue stream).

But yeah, I think DB was probably pretty vital to Funimation's survival back in the mid-late 00s when the US anime market kinda crashed, but if they were to suddenly lose it now, in 2015, they'd be fine. Well, maybe not "fine" but they'd easily survive. They have a lot of other popular series now as mentioned, and more than that they're generally much quicker to adapt to market trends than their competitors (who were relatively reluctant to embrace things like online streaming and doing away with 3-4 episode single DVD releases).
Seems Naruto is the only Shonen property not owned by FUNimation. They haven't got the rights to Cardcaptor Sakura and the other non-FUNimation anime releases.

One Piece and Toriko are still ongoing. They could outlast Dragon Ball at anytime.
Last edited by SilverPlaqueVII on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:32 pm

I think Funimation would be fine. Funimation is a much bigger company that they where many years ago. If they do lose the series in the future then I hope it's not Media Blasters. Media Blasters would delay everything until the very last minute *cough*Godzilla vs. Megalon*cough*
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:47 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Without Dragon Ball, the company still has Fullmetal Alchemist, Case Closed/Detective Conan, Soul Eater, Bleach, etc...
Theophrastus wrote:One Piece has more episodes than the entire DB anime franchise combined (unless you meant "longest" in the sense of having been around the longest or something, and not sheer volume of content that they can keep dipping into for a consistent revenue stream).

Seems Naruto is the only Shonen property not owned by FUNimation. They haven't got the rights to Cardcaptor Sakura and the other non-FUNimation anime releases.

One Piece and Toriko are still ongoing. They could outlast Dragon Ball at anytime.
Funimation gave up on Detective Conan years ago due to people just not having much interest in the franchise here (it is now being simulcast by Crunchyroll, incidentally, though Funimation still has the first 130 episodes), and Funimation never had Bleach (that was always Viz). Also, the Toriko anime ended last year, and at this point it doesn't look like Funi is even going to bother dubbing anything past the first 52-ish episodes because apparently it did pretty badly for them.

They do have Fairy Tail, though, which is both quite popular and ongoing.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Funimation losing DB would be like DC losing Batman.

They'll survive but it'll be hard and every move they make going foreword will have to be the right cause 1 mistake will cost them way more then it would with DB cause they won't have that big net to catch them.

Toriko flopped ? doesn't matter cause DB will make back 5× the $$$ they put in it without spending much.

However if they didn't have DB then that flop would've hurt very bad.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:55 pm

They could survive but it would be very unlikely and even then they wouldn't thrive like the other dubbing companies. Dragon Ball is what led them from being nobodies to now being one of the biggest and most respected dubbing companies out there.

The other shows are popular but only on a cult level rather than a massive mainstream hit like Dragon Ball and wouldn't get them nearly as far from which they started.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:10 pm

In the 90s they couldn't, but today they easily could. And it's not like Dragon Ball is bringing in as much money now as it was in 2003 anyway.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Funimation can survive without Dragon Ball just like Viz can survive without Naruto.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:00 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:Without Dragon Ball, the company still has Fullmetal Alchemist, Case Closed/Detective Conan, Soul Eater, Bleach, etc...
Uh, Bleach is a Viz property.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:50 am

They got big thanks to Dragon Ball, but I think they're big enough to survive. They'd surely have to downsize a bit, though, if they lost the DB Z GT rights.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:39 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Oh right. Viz or FUNimation have yet to get either Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura uncut anyway. No wonder they don't have Gundam or Inyuyasha :P

SaiyanBaller22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanBaller22 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Anybody know when Funimation's license to DBZ ends?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:08 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:
Oh right. Viz or FUNimation have yet to get either Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura uncut anyway. No wonder they don't have Gundam or Inyuyasha :P
Viz has Sailor Moon and Inuyasha.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

SaiyanBaller22 wrote:Anybody know when Funimation's license to DBZ ends?
IIRC, it could be circulated back in 2009 when the license was set to expire this year, set in stone.

http://icv2.com/articles/comics/view/15 ... digm-shift
Last edited by SilverPlaqueVII on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:29 pm

It seems like everyone's talking about if FUNimation lost the license rather than if they never had the license like I was.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:38 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:It seems like everyone's talking about if FUNimation lost the license rather than if they never had the license like I was.
Because that's the question the original post asked.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.