New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:27 am

Some people may find this redundant, but I would like to write a letter to Funimation. Does anyone have a mailing address for them? I'll be putting all of our concerns in writing. I would like to include a list of all the people here who are dissapointed with this widescreen news. So if you would like me to put your name (user name or otherwise) on the letter, please PM or e-mail me.

A letter would proably be taken more seriously.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:22 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:[...] but as for actually going through the trouble of remastering and publicizing DragonBall . . . eh, we'll have to wait and see. If these DBZ sets are extremely popular, it might cause FUNimation to consider looking back to DragonBall again. But then, it might not.
Isn't that a problem for these sets, too? I mean, I'm sure the only reason I saw the Brolli set and Movie 13 at Target the other day was because they actually had commercials on TV. Before, DragonBall Z basically relied on its popularity and it being on Toonami; they didn't need commercials to advertise their releases, since the shows were doing a pretty good job of advertising for them. But now that DBZ's been out of the mainstream eye for so long, do you think FUNi will be forced to have commercials put on TV?

In some cases, the fanbase was enough for the sets to be sold places outside of the internet (i.e. Thundercats, Garfield & Friends, Batman the Animated Series, etc.). But in other cases, the news seemed so "underground" that most people had to resort to buying it online because it wasn't anywhere else (i.e. the Nick Rewind releases). And in the case of the Rewind Collection, it lead to the cancellation of the releases altogether. So... do you think DBZ's marketing is already big enough to be able to sell itself without stuff like ads and commercials? I think so :D.

Semi-off-topic, is FUNi going all out and remastering Yu Yu Hakusho, too? I heard they were re-releasing that series, too but didn't hear any news aside from that. (And congrats, Lemmy, on the 500 posts.)
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:25 pm

DaemonCorps wrote: Semi-off-topic, is FUNi going all out and remastering Yu Yu Hakusho, too? I heard they were re-releasing that series, too but didn't hear any news aside from that. (And congrats, Lemmy, on the 500 posts.)
No, they're just being re-released as cheaper sets. Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't really need a "remastering" anyway. It's fully uncut, the video is clear, the original score is in both languages, and it's really affordable to boot.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:38 pm

Kula wrote:Some people may find this redundant, but I would like to write a letter to Funimation. Does anyone have a mailing address for them?
It's a cold comfort, I know, but . . . well, if nothing changes, you can at least say you tried. Go ahead:

FUNimation Productions, Ltd.
6851 N.E. Loop 820, Suite 247
North Richland Hills, TX 76180
DaemonCorps wrote:So... do you think DBZ's marketing is already big enough to be able to sell itself without stuff like ads and commercials? I think so :D .
Hell, yes.

That doesn't mean I don't think we'll see a commercial or two advertising the sets. But at the same time, I hardly think that they're needed. Certainly not for the first one, which has been so highly anticipated, and I'm inclined to believe that most people who buy the first one will want to continue buying others as they're released.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:48 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Hence, FUNi's English voice/Japanese BGM track will either be a mono presentation with newer sounding voices and an aged soundtrack that is similar to our current Japanese version, or FUNi will attempt to remix the BGM track which could be a disaster (and typically is when people try to remix something without the discrete masters).
FUNimation kept the original music throughout the original Dragon Ball, and their stereo mixes for the dub came out fine, in my opinion. Not to mention, they even mixed a 5.1 track for Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle's DVD debut, and neither the voices nor the musical score sounded aged (now if only we could do something about that horrible acting...).

I think the sound will turn out alright, but did FUNimation ever confirm that there was going to be an English voice with dub music track? I don't remember them ever saying that, so it could be that the only English track will be the one with the original music.

There's something else that I've been wondering about these sets. For the English voices / Japanese music track, do you think FUNi will dub an English version of "Cha-La Head-Cha-La?" Or do you guys think they'll leave the vocal songs as-is?
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:09 pm

MagicBox wrote: There's something else that I've been wondering about these sets. For the English voices / Japanese music track, do you think FUNi will dub an English version of "Cha-La Head-Cha-La?" Or do you guys think they'll leave the vocal songs as-is?
Leave as-is, I'm betting.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:29 pm

MagicBox wrote:(now if only we could do something about that horrible acting...).
Eh? Assuming you hang around, it seems that you and I will reach a difference of opinion now and then: HUGE Stephanie Nadolny fan right here. But to each his own, of course.

(Or do you mean Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle by itself? I'm not even sure whether Nadolny was in that one.)
Magicbox then wrote:I think the sound will turn out alright, but did FUNimation ever confirm that there was going to be an English voice with dub music track? I don't remember them ever saying that, so it could be that the only English track will be the one with the original music.
I don't know that it was ever confirmed, no. And if the discs are already going to be loaded with remastered widescreen and two audio tracks, it would be wise for FUNimation to drop the dub score for the sake of everything else. However, I find it hard to believe that would happen, particularly if the rumors about Faulconer being compensated for later sets are true . . . because why would they use no dub music, only to introduce it later on?
MagicBox finally wrote:There's something else that I've been wondering about these sets. For the English voices / Japanese music track, do you think FUNi will dub an English version of "Cha-La Head-Cha-La?" Or do you guys think they'll leave the vocal songs as-is?
They were good enough to dub the opening of DragonBall, so I guess anything's possible. Though personally, I'll agree with Blitzen; I would be fairly surprised.

Someone who can use grammar properly? Stop by the Introductions forum and introduce yourself!
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:56 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:
Hero 004 wrote:It's time for a new era! :D
Would that be the era of unnecessary cropping? :P

Man, we were so damn close to getting a great release of the series.
Oh well, I'll take the bad in exchange for the good. There are so many different versions anyway. It dosen't really matter to me.
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:10 am

I agree with Hero 004, I'll buy the set, enjoy the good, and deal with the bad when I come to it. It's not like these episodes are going to be released on DVD again after this, at least not in the near future. Yes, I'm impatient.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
MagicBox wrote:(now if only we could do something about that horrible acting...).
Eh? Assuming you hang around, it seems that you and I will reach a difference of opinion now and then: HUGE Stephanie Nadolny fan right here. But to each his own, of course.

(Or do you mean Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle by itself? I'm not even sure whether Nadolny was in that one.)
Don't worry, I was only talking about SPiD'sC. That was dubbed WAY back in the days when Dragon Ball and Z were FUNi's only titles. The acting was horrible, and really shows how much the actors have improved since then.

You're right, Nadolny (who I like, by the way) wasn't in that one. That was back when Ceyli Delgadillo (sp?) played Goku.

Don't worry, I like the dub actors, just not the ones for DB movie 2. Crap, I'm getting off-topic. How 'bout them boxsets, eh?

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:53 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote: Semi-off-topic, is FUNi going all out and remastering Yu Yu Hakusho, too? I heard they were re-releasing that series, too but didn't hear any news aside from that. (And congrats, Lemmy, on the 500 posts.)
No, they're just being re-released as cheaper sets. Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't really need a "remastering" anyway. It's fully uncut, the video is clear, the original score is in both languages, and it's really affordable to boot.
I haven't seen any comparison shots between the old and new YYH release, but generally the video on the older YYH discs looked pretty bad once you got past an ordinary TV.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:37 am

I don't know that it was ever confirmed, no. And if the discs are already going to be loaded with remastered widescreen and two audio tracks, it would be wise for FUNimation to drop the dub score for the sake of everything else. However, I find it hard to believe that would happen, particularly if the rumors about Faulconer being compensated for later sets are true . . . because why would they use no dub music, only to introduce it later on?
If they're releasing it with the usual 3 episodes per disc, then the dub audio can definitely be there. Considering the UUE's had a Spanish track (AS well as the 2 English audios, and the Japanese mono), I'm sure the new ones can handle it.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:44 am

Eclipse wrote:If they're releasing it with the usual 3 episodes per disc, then the dub audio can definitely be there. Considering the UUE's had a Spanish track (AS well as the 2 English audios, and the Japanese mono), I'm sure the new ones can handle it.
It's going to be about 8 episodes per disc, though, which is why many people are worried. With eight episodes worth of content per disc, in addition to anamorphic widescreen, at least three audio tracks, and who knows what else, I'm scared that the discs won't be able to handle everything without quality going down.
Last edited by MagicBox on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:49 am

It's going to be about 8 episodes per disc, though, which is why many people are worried. With eight episodes worth of content per disc, in addition to anamorphic widescreen, at least three audio tracks, and who knows what else, I'm scared that the disc won't be able to handle everything without quality going down.
8? I don't remember anyone saying it was gonna be 8 episodes per disc.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:53 am

Eclipse wrote:
It's going to be about 8 episodes per disc, though, which is why many people are worried. With eight episodes worth of content per disc, in addition to anamorphic widescreen, at least three audio tracks, and who knows what else, I'm scared that the disc won't be able to handle everything without quality going down.
39 episodes on five discs is eight episodes a disc, other than one which will have seven.
­

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:54 am

Taku128 wrote:
Eclipse wrote:
39 episodes on 5 discs is 8 episodes a disc, other than one which will have seven.
We are totally boned, then.

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:55 am

desirecampbell wrote:
Taku128 wrote:
Eclipse wrote: 8? I don't remember anyone saying it was gonna be 8 episodes per disc.
39 episodes on 5 discs is 8 episodes a disc, other than one which will have seven.
We are totally boned, then.
Hey, mabey they'll put 5 episodes on the first four disks and then 19 on the last one. You can't rule it out, this is FUNi we're talking about.
­

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:23 am

Hey, mabey they'll put 5 episodes on the first four disks and then 19 on the last one. You can't rule it out, this is FUNi we're talking about.
19 episodes on ONE DISC?!
Oh dear god no...

But wait...is this 5 discs thing stated FROM that press statement or something?

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:29 am

At some point we were told that it would be a five disc set. I believe it is in the item description at various retailers.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:44 am

Eclipse wrote:But wait...is this 5 discs thing stated FROM that press statement or something?
Straight from the press release on page 2 of this thread:

"The first Dragon Ball Z Season Set includes 39 episodes on five DVDs with over 900 minutes of action."

Safe to say that's what we're getting.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:55 am

I just checked over at the Funimation forums and unfortunatly we seem to be a minority. Most responses seem to be: Oh well, I don't mind the widescreen so much. Look at all this cool footage we get on the sides! I love you Funimation.

*barf*

So in my opinion I think it is safe to believe that future releases will be the same.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com