The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: The International Version of the Buu-Kai Arc

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 07, 2015 12:41 am

Daisetsu wrote:Wait... are you just being hopeful, or do you actually have inside information? If the latter, do you know if there's been a set date for release (not asking for a date, just if there is one)?
Heheh, no, I'm not being hopeful, I actually do have inside information. All I will say as to how I acquired this info is that I'm a voice actor myself (not anybody you'd know, my main line of work is commercials and non-broadcast narration), and one of the cool things about the VO community is that it's a pretty tight-knit bunch...word gets around, and I happened to learn a small--but interesting--fact about the dub a few months ago. I can't reveal what I know, though, or the source. I mean, I could, but it would mean potentially getting certain people in trouble, and I don't want to do that, both as a person and as a member of the industry. Sorry!

Tell 'ya what. When the inside info I know has been revealed in an official capacity, I'll make a post that links back to this one, as a way of saying, "This is what I was referring to."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:24 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I've been sworn to silence, and I intend to remain silent, but I managed to learn a few small details....and I think certain small aspects of the dub are going to be quite noteworthy. That's all I'll say. 8)
You mean they reinserted Kikuchi? :mrgreen: :P
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 07, 2015 1:30 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:I've been sworn to silence, and I intend to remain silent, but I managed to learn a few small details....and I think certain small aspects of the dub are going to be quite noteworthy. That's all I'll say. 8)
Haha....you can probably guess the answer to that. That would definitely be noteworthy, though. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 07, 2015 3:19 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Haha....you can probably guess the answer to that. That would definitely be noteworthy, though. :lol:
If that's not it, then it has to be 4:3 aspect ratio. Or else it doesn't matter what it is.

ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShinGaijin » Thu May 07, 2015 3:35 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Haha....you can probably guess the answer to that. That would definitely be noteworthy, though. :lol:
-Japanese cut ?
-Shunsuke Kikuchi score ? (for consistency sake ?)
-4:3 Aspect ratio ?
-Improved color correction ?
You can't tell us more, I understand that...but, the fact is : there's something "special" for the English dub.Can't wait to see how this "Kai Buu Saga English dub" story will end. :thumbup:
Last edited by ShinGaijin on Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Thu May 07, 2015 3:40 am

FUNimation has hired the Japanese cast to act out the dub in English.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Thu May 07, 2015 3:40 am

The most "reasonable" thing that would be both small and noteworthy (and that voice actors might be both able to and inclined to gossip to each other about) that comes to mind is maybe they gave Scott McNeil and/or Brian Drummond some minor roles as a kind of nod to Ocean fans (since that dub doesn't look like it'll ever actually see the light of day at this point).

Or maybe something like an optional Faulconer BGM track for people who don't like Sumitomo's music, but that seems unlikely for a number of reasons.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu May 07, 2015 5:03 am

I think we can be pretty sure this isn't the Japanese cut. It's only 8 episodes shorter, a marginal difference in a series this long. Plus, we can be sure they had already recorded that stuff. And they probably don't have a say in which version they use.

It certainly won't be a music difference. Lack of music consistency hasn't bothered Funi before, why would it bug them now? It'll be Sumitomo, just like everywhere else in the world.

4:3 is something I'm definitely hoping for, and maybe lose the green tint as well, but this inside information is most likely something to do with the actual voice work. No idea what it could be, but we shall see eventually.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Thu May 07, 2015 8:35 am

Personally the only thing i care about is the Green Tint fixed. Everything else is just a nice bonus.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:50 am

If they can tweak the green tint good if not, no biggie.

I don't really have any hopes for Kai 2.0 from FUNimation to be different than from anywhere else so whatever it is fine by me, although I wish they'd do something about the music. :|
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 07, 2015 10:02 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I think the Buu arc of Kai will still be fairly successful when the dub premieres. I've been sworn to silence, and I intend to remain silent, but I managed to learn a few small details....and I think certain small aspects of the dub are going to be quite noteworthy. That's all I'll say. 8)
Interesting. It sounds like something that will be noticeable from the start. Perhaps they have managed to dub "Fight it Out"?. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this Series, please, FUNi, give us an announcement :thumbup:

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Thu May 07, 2015 10:53 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Heheh, no, I'm not being hopeful, I actually do have inside information. All I will say as to how I acquired this info is that I'm a voice actor myself (not anybody you'd know, my main line of work is commercials and non-broadcast narration), and one of the cool things about the VO community is that it's a pretty tight-knit bunch...word gets around, and I happened to learn a small--but interesting--fact about the dub a few months ago.
Based on the fact that you learned this from a voice actor, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. If so, I think it's brilliantly awesome what they did! I think people will really enjoy it. :thumbup: :silent:

I'll just add in, and I believe I can say this without getting anyone in trouble, I can confirm that the dub has been done for at least a year now. But, and this part is my speculation (although it seems rather obvious at this point), it's been held up because of everything that's been happening with the franchise lately.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu May 07, 2015 10:59 am

See, I thought it was done from what I'd been told previously, but then Mr. Derek Padula came along and threw a spanner in the works by saying that Schemmel had mentioned it wasn't done yet just the other day. I'm beyond confused at this point.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:02 am

Hujio wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Heheh, no, I'm not being hopeful, I actually do have inside information. All I will say as to how I acquired this info is that I'm a voice actor myself (not anybody you'd know, my main line of work is commercials and non-broadcast narration), and one of the cool things about the VO community is that it's a pretty tight-knit bunch...word gets around, and I happened to learn a small--but interesting--fact about the dub a few months ago.
Based on the fact that you learned this from a voice actor, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. If so, I think it's brilliantly awesome what they did! I think people will really enjoy it. :thumbup: :silent:

I'll just add in, and I believe I can say this without getting anyone in trouble, I can confirm that the dub has been done for at least a year now. But, and this part is speculation, it's been help up because of everything that's been happening with the franchise lately (that seems obvious, right?).
Wait what?! The dub is doing something special? Can we at least get a small hint? Is this related to the actual dubbing of the show, or something else?
Also, do either of you have any idea when this might actually be released? No need to actually tell us when, but do you happen to have an idea?
AjayLikesGaming wrote:See, I thought it was done from what I'd been told previously, but then Mr. Derek Padula came along and threw a spanner in the works by saying that Schemmel had mentioned it wasn't done yet just the other day. I'm beyond confused at this point.
Yeah and there was that podcast back in December where Sean Schemmel talked with Kyle Hebert about dubbing the scene where Goku and Gohan say goodbye to each other. This is so confusing

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 07, 2015 11:24 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:See, I thought it was done from what I'd been told previously, but then Mr. Derek Padula came along and threw a spanner in the works by saying that Schemmel had mentioned it wasn't done yet just the other day. I'm beyond confused at this point.

I'm now totally confused by the whole situation. Though at least both Hujio & TheBlackPaladin (assuming it is indeed the same thing they have both heard) seem to be happy with something they have done.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 07, 2015 11:29 am

Hujio wrote:

I'll just add in, and I believe I can say this without getting anyone in trouble, I can confirm that the dub has been done for at least a year now. But, and this part is my speculation (although it seems rather obvious at this point), it's been held up because of everything that's been happening with the franchise lately.
Ahhhh, so you know too, eh? Yes, it's going to be fun......

And yes, my source also informed me that the dub has been done for quite some time. Having said that...
That confused me too.

Here's what I think. Schemmel is an interesting case, because he's not based in Dallas, where the dub is recorded. Normally, that means an actor can't take a role due to the impracticality of bringing in an actor for last-minute re-recordings that are often necessary (Ryan Drummond famously lost the role of Sonic the Hedgehog for not living in New York, for example....he says he would have gladly relocated had he been informed of that earlier, but I digress). Actually, according to what Schemmel said at a con, when he moved to New York, Barry Watson said that the role would have to be recast, but Schemmel volunteered to fly back to Texas on his own money periodically to record Goku. Eventually FUNimation started paying part of his airfare, and at some point they started paying for it entirely...normally that doesn't happen, but that's one of the advantages of playing the lead character in a company's most financially successful property.

In any event, I wouldn't be surprised if he's taking longer than other actors to record his lines, if only because he actually has to schedule flights to Texas...that'd certainly make things a little slower, I'd imagine. Perhaps the majority of the dub is done, except for his stuff. Or maybe some last-minute re-recordings were necessary.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Well this is certainly interesting. Can't wait to find out what it is.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 pm

thaman91 wrote:Wait what?! The dub is doing something special? Can we at least get a small hint? Is this related to the actual dubbing of the show, or something else?
Also, do either of you have any idea when this might actually be released? No need to actually tell us when, but do you happen to have an idea?
I'm sorry, I sincerely am, but I kinda need to keep this as vague as possible. Dropping any more hints would only serve to narrow it down, and I wouldn't want anybody to guess it. Quite frankly, I wasn't going to say anything, but I thought I'd drop a super-vague hint only because I was worried about this small but noteworthy thing not being appreciated or focused on in light of Super coming out. So...Super is admittedly the bigger news story, but the dub of the Buu arc of Kai will still be worth watching for several reasons, including this small but noteworthy thing.

The only hint I can give is that there will be something "small but noteworthy." "Small but noteworthy" is the key phrase here. It's not a big thing, but it's a thing that, when it is revealed, will be noteworthy...I'd imagine that it's all this forum will talk about for a little bit.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 07, 2015 3:05 pm

There's actually a new scene spliced in to the end with Appule donating energy to the Genki-dama, and I flew out to Texas to record for it.

You're welcome.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 07, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm very intrigued by what this thing they're doing for the dub is...I know nobody that knows can break their silence, but is it something fairly notable, or just kind of small but really awesome in that we never thought they'd do something like that, or...geez, I don't even know what else to guess. :lol:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)