Was Goku right to let Gohan fight Cell?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Was Goku right to let Gohan fight Cell?

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxcLjWNQv3E

Was Goku right to let Gohan fight Cell? I personally think so. After all, he had gained a lot of power in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Makes sense that he would trust him to save the world. (EDIT: This is not actually my real opinion. I was in a hurry to start the failed joke.)

But before you make your response to this, watch the clip above, even if you have seen it before. It'll let your mind be refreshed on the topic at hand.
Last edited by SuperSaiyanHedgehog on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Known as Hiltonium everywhere else.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Kai: Yamamoto Revival (Now Completed!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

Sayo-chan
Regular

Re: Was Goku right to let Gohan fight Cell?

Post by Sayo-chan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:36 pm

No. It was reckless gambling. Cell could've killed Gohan at any point before he went SSJ2. He could've killed all of them, at once too. Giving him a Senzu bean is the main catalyst for his stupidity.
Most Dragon Ball fans are incapable of making a logically sound argument.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:No. It was reckless gambling. Cell could've killed Gohan at any point before he went SSJ2. He could've killed all of them, at once too. Giving him a Senzu bean is the main catalyst for his stupidity.
You didn't watch the video, didn't you?
YouTube//Twitter//Ask.fm//PSN: Hiltonium//Nintendo Network: BoomBomb712//3DS Friend Code: 3652-0542-0595//Skype: PM me if you're interested

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:39 pm

SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote:
Sayo-chan wrote:No. It was reckless gambling. Cell could've killed Gohan at any point before he went SSJ2. He could've killed all of them, at once too. Giving him a Senzu bean is the main catalyst for his stupidity.
I did and I don't like John Cena or see how the clip is at all relevant, especially considering it's the dub.

SuperSaiyanHedgehog
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanHedgehog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:
SuperSaiyanHedgehog wrote:
I did and I don't like John Cena or see how the clip is at all relevant, especially considering it's the dub.
Oh...
Uh... this was actually a joke. I'm sorry.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 pm

In the long run, yes cuz it allowed Gohan to be more confident in his powers but for short term... no, didn't need to happen.

Eat senzu, gang up on Cell, end.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Hero
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:31 am

I always wondered why Goku just didn't tell Gohan that he had hidden powers that come out when he's angry. It's not like telling him would've stopped these powers from being released.

The smartest thing Goku could've done is finish the full year in the RoSaT and use the extra time to teach Gohan how to unleash his rage powers. After all, Goku thought him how to go and maintain SSJ.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:33 am

It was a gamble to get him to SSJ2 in time, just like it was a gamble to get Gotenks ready to fight Boo as a SSJ. That being said, I don't think they had any other choice. But with Boo, Goku wanted to be a dick and lie about his ability to beat Fat Boo in favor of Gotenks saving the day.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:18 am

Goku pretty much had to have Gohan fight Cell, it was the only option. If Gohan doesn't fight Cell, earth is finished. That said, Goku is at fault for not letting Gohan in on his plan for defeating Cell and gambling that Gohan would become angry enough to unlock his hidden potential. It paid off in the end, but still, it was a huge gamble.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:18 am

Hero wrote:I always wondered why Goku just didn't tell Gohan that he had hidden powers that come out when he's angry. It's not like telling him would've stopped these powers from being released.

The smartest thing Goku could've done is finish the full year in the RoSaT and use the extra time to teach Gohan how to unleash his rage powers. After all, Goku thought him how to go and maintain SSJ.
Goku was extremely confident in Gohan beating Cell, hence why he even gave Cell the senzu to begin with. He didn't tell him because he didn't want him to worry about it and for him to relax during the 10 days. He could've never guessed Gohan's mental barriers which held him back during the Cell Games.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:46 am

He would be a dumbass if he didn't let Gohan fight Cell, regardless of his feelings. Giving Cell a senzu bean was stupid but it allowed growth for Goku's character.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Doctor. wrote:He would be a dumbass if he didn't let Gohan fight Cell, regardless of his feelings. Giving Cell a senzu bean was stupid but it allowed growth for Goku's character.
Exactly this. Although I don't think the whole senzu bean thing wasn't as stupid as people say. A big mistake yes, but not stupid. Especially considering how sure Goku was of Gohan's power which was very understandable since he was the one who witnessed Gohan's power in the RoSaT and knew that he could summon great power by thinking about anger. He even gauged Cell's power before the fight just to make sure, and in the end Gohan's power was just as much of a game changer as Goku predicted.

Not to mention the character of Goku, the same guy who in the last world tournament didn't want others to interfere while Piccolo (ironically enough) was torturing him to death sorely to stick to the rules of the tournament (i.e fair fight) which was thrown out of the window at that point. It only makes sense that Goku, who thought Gohan would easily beat Cell, would give Cell a senzu.

He just didn't take Gohan's mentality into account, which was something he had no indication of beforehand (Because the Cell Games was a unique situation for both of them). Heck, the fact that people think Gohan was OOC during the Cell Games further supports that.

And like you said, it played a big part in Goku's growth. It was the first time his own mistake hit him that hard. Because like Piccolo said, his nature caused Gohan to think his father values a fair fight over his life and his nature is practically unshakable due to it being a big part of his Saiyan DNA. Not only did he nearly cause the earth's destruction because of his unshakable nature, but nearly caused the death of his son as a result of misjudging his personality. This definitely had a huge impact on his character and was part of what made him feel the earth is safer without him.

I tell ya, the Cell Games was the peak of DBZ storytelling wise.
Last edited by TheUltimateVegito on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
YouTube account:

Sayo-chan
Regular

Post by Sayo-chan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:He would be a dumbass if he didn't let Gohan fight Cell, regardless of his feelings. Giving Cell a senzu bean was stupid but it allowed growth for Goku's character.
He's a dumbass for giving him a Senzu. All Cell would have to do is kill Gohan instead of torturing him and plan failed. A Kamehameha like the one he shot at SSJ2 Gohan would kill them all easily.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Sayo-chan wrote:
He's a dumbass for giving him a Senzu. All Cell would have to do is kill Gohan instead of torturing him and plan failed. A Kamehameha like the one he shot at SSJ2 Gohan would kill them all easily.
Well, Gohan was stronger than Goku even as an SSJ1. Goku knew Cell would suppress his power like he did when he fought Goku because like Cell himself said, he'd rather have a close fight.
YouTube account:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:47 pm

I saw this clip yesterday, OP. Funny. lol.

<.<

>.>

Am I the only one who's commented on the point of the topic? I have a sense of humor too!
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku pretty much had to have Gohan fight Cell, it was the only option. If Gohan doesn't fight Cell, earth is finished. That said, Goku is at fault for not letting Gohan in on his plan for defeating Cell and gambling that Gohan would become angry enough to unlock his hidden potential. It paid off in the end, but still, it was a huge gamble.
Exactly. It was a "do or die" situation. Everything suggests that Perfect Cell was too much for Goku.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:01 pm

LowRyder2005 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Goku pretty much had to have Gohan fight Cell, it was the only option. If Gohan doesn't fight Cell, earth is finished. That said, Goku is at fault for not letting Gohan in on his plan for defeating Cell and gambling that Gohan would become angry enough to unlock his hidden potential. It paid off in the end, but still, it was a huge gamble.
Exactly. It was a "do or die" situation. Everything suggests that Perfect Cell was too much for Goku.
Goku flat out states he had chance against Perfect Cell way before actually fighting him. He was pretty much banking everything on Gohan to win. There was no Plan B.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Nobody else could have faced Cell. Gohan was the only choice. He and Goku were equals when they exited the time chamber. Vegeta and Trunks were 2-3x weaker.

The only thing we SHOULD be griping about is Goku giving Cell a senzu bean. Cell never asked for one, and in my opinion Gohan could have taken Cell without a problem, without the SSJ2 rage transformation.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Eternal Super Saiyan wrote: in my opinion Gohan could have taken Cell without a problem, without the SSJ2 rage transformation.
I disagree. I'm sure Cell was still suppressed before taking the senzu.
YouTube account:

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:45 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote: in my opinion Gohan could have taken Cell without a problem, without the SSJ2 rage transformation.
I disagree. I'm sure Cell was still suppressed before taking the senzu.
He was. Cell was at 50% full power when he fought both Goku and Gohan. But in his current state and if he didn't take the senzu bean, he'd have lost easily.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku