Why is Chris Sabat better treated than Paul Bandey?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ree
Regular

Re: Why is Chris Sabat better treated than Paul Bandey?

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:56 pm

1.okay but that doesnt relate to my early puberty point.
2.Really? I actually didnt know.
3.Its not apparent like before but it still goes through once in awhile.

I know of his personality and Kirby nails it.
I hear NO superhero in any of them.
Kirby is memorable to me so thats subjective, many people love the voice of Tenshinhan while I dont find it memorable.
no, unconvincing is Sean Schemmel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8uw4Pv5_JY he sounds too restrained here.
Its not that i "love" the Ocean/Westwood cast its just that they dont have many crappy performances so there's not much for me to criticize. much like how you "love" the in-house Kai dub/
Actually its more that I dislike bad dubbing which the majority of Funimation does.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

FutureProtagonist

Post by FutureProtagonist » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Actually its more that I dislike bad dubbing which the majority of Funimation does.
If you dislike "bad dubbing", you're just going to have to accept that you are almost literally the only person in existence (certainly the only one I've ever seen) who doesn't file Big Green under that category.

Funimation/Ocean may had done some bad dubs, but nothing in the same league as Big Green. Every single one of them speaks really quickly in a near-monotone and the writing is all gibberish. Every single one of them is phoning it in to the nth degree. Then you have Big Green Tenshinhan who sounds like Yoda, Big Green Krillin who makes bizarre noises that don't remotely line up with the animation, and Big Green Gohan who's nearly as annoying as Krillin.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:48 pm

I have to agree, there's not comparison with Big Green and either of the North American dubs. While some of the voices in Big Green might be tolerable, none of the acting is of any substantial quality and the scripts are a total mess. We literally took the BG dub of World's Strongest and had an entire panel where we just MST3K'd the entire thing, because it's really just that bad.

Christopher Sabat's performances in the old Z dub were highly criticized, and even by himself now. They were poor and amateur, and do not reflect what he can do nowadays. His voices and performances in Kai and the new movies as Vegeta are fantastic, and while he's not quite the best actor for Piccolo (McNeil's in the first three movies is still the reigning Piccolo voice), Yamcha (Ted Cole is just more natural sounding), and Recoome (David Kaye totally sold the big, tough, yet silly schtick, even if he wasn't quite flamboyant enough), he's still given them all far better performances and voices than the Big Green dubs ever did, and has made leaps and bounds making Piccolo sound much more believable than ever. His performances in Kai and the new movies have been nothing short of solid. As for whether or not his voice is appropriate for Vegeta, well... as someone who used to legitimately not enjoy him as Vegeta, I can say he's definitely made the correct adjustments to legitimately own the character after so many years. He's lightened it up, taken out a lot of the gruffness, and focused on making him less stuffy and more moody. His Vegeta now doesn't sound anywhere close to his older performances, and that's really for the best.

And his Shenlong is totally fine. He's not the best, no, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it either. Yeah, there are probably better picks, but that's neither here nor there.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:50 pm

FutureProtagonist- Not saying Big Green doesnt have its faults, its just not that bad

In Funimation you have lines that are said in a weird manner and scripts that are either crappy or robotic sounding or both. Theres also Funimation Piccolo who is monotoned and dry. Funimation Gohan who sounds like a preteenage girl or a raspy teenager that smokes depending on which series you watch. Funimation Trunks that is way too raspy no matter how old or young he is, Funimation Pan whose voice goES UP and DOwn and is too snobby for even the character. Funimation Butta who is screechy and annoying.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:56 pm

Ree wrote:FutureProtagonist- Not saying Big Green doesnt have its faults, its just not that bad

In Funimation you have lines that are said in a weird manner and scripts that are either crappy or robotic sounding or both. Theres also Funimation Piccolo who is monotoned and dry. Funimation Gohan who sounds like a preteenage girl or a raspy teenager that smokes depending on which series you watch. Funimation Trunks that is way too raspy no matter how old or young he is, Funimation Pan whose voice goES UP and DOwn and is too snobby for even the character. Funimation Butta who is screechy and annoying.
As opposed to He-Man Goku, old-man Vegeta, generic sounding Piccolo, French-Canadian teenager Trunks, and the screechy, awful sounding female characters who all sound like they're from Brooklyn? Not to mention Gohan sounds like one of those actresses on Helium? ... I like their Krillin though, funny enough.

And besides their voices being totally off-putting, their acting is ATROCIOUS. While the acting in the old Funimation dubs might have had their ups and downs, they were never, ever as consistently bad (and they're bad, let's not mince words) as the Big Green performances. This is coming from someone who hasn't just studied acting, either, but someone who's been practicing it for the last 8 years of his life, and is surrounded by actors and actresses alike.

Funimation puts out a lot of solid dubs nowadays. They're not always A+, but they're a far cry from their older products by leaps and bounds.

(Edit) Oh, and let's not even get started on how absolutely suspect the Canadian dubs were post-Freeza. They were notoriously rushed, the actors usually only getting a single swing at every line because they speed-dubbed them using barely adapted scripts from the Funimation version. Kirby Marrow, while a fantastic actor, never really got the goofy, impetuous side of Goku's personality, and could never come close to Schemmel's intensity and commitment to the character. Drummond's Vegeta was never appropriate for the character proper, only for the over-the-top evil version that we got in the original Z dub that, while entertaining and surely sold the more vicious, maniacal parts of the character, could never truly portray the real subtleties and depth that lied behind them, especially as the character changed and grew. Even McNeil's Piccolo ended up suffering as he never got the chance to really grow and mature with that character either. They've openly admitted that it was a rushed, painful production and that it was a subpar product because of it.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Piccolo-sounds generic in Funimation too
Vegeta-BG Vegeta does suck
Goku-see above
Trunks-at least he SOUNDS like a teenager and isnt raspy
Gohan-i like his voice
Krillin-same here, I thought it could have been better considering the actress's credentials but oh well

I acknowledge the acting isnt good, its mainly the voices I like

What did you think of their Attack on titan dub? I thought it was okay but the main protagonist was annoying

(Edit) Kirby Morrow did capture his personality and was the most balanced. he doesnt come close, hes better :P If you need me to explain more I can do so.
Drummond, see the "C. Sabat's new voice" thread for my thoughts. he did that just fine before Vegeta turned to stone.
McNeil wasnt as good as in Saban but still good
thats not what RazorX said, he saw an interview or video or whatever it was with Kirby Morrow that said he was voicing Goku for 3 years so it couldnt have been rushed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:58 pm

If there's one thing Sabat isn't, it's generic, he has a very distinctive voice.
Regarding your point about kids in puberty and deep voices, you have absolutely no point. It was essentially reductio ad absurdum. No one has ever made this argument because it's silly. There are plenty of 29 year olds with deep voices, like Sabat.
Kirby Morrow did capture his personality
No he doesn't. Morrow never captures Goku's manchild personality. He's a far more forgettable and less talented Ian Corlette. He's not as bad as Kelamis, but he's not an interesting actor for that role. His voice doesn't match Goku's design. I see that design and I don't hear that kind of voice coming out of that character. He might make a good Trunks, but not Son Goku.

I like the Ocean dub a lot, but I've heard plenty of post Namek material and it's shocking how bad it was in comparison. It was clearly rushed and even the really excellent actors suffered.
Morrow that said he was voicing Goku for 3 years so it couldnt have been rushed.
Over the course of three years, but he wasn't in there all the time voicing Goku.
he sounds too restrained here.
That's restrained? You can hear the joy in his voice. His acting matches the animation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:11 pm

when talking about Piccolo I was thinking more like monotone. oh and in the other thread you said Scott has a human voice too. He does but I cant look up deviantart images of Human Piccolo and attach it to him.
My point is that its a possibility for a kid to have a deep voice.
Kirby Morrow did capture his personality
Everything you just said can apply to Sean Schemmel. hes a poor man's Ian Corlett and doesn't capture the characters youthful nature all the way.
Kelamis is good so thats not saying a lot :D he just should have been the voice for older goku in end of DB instead of in Z. but at least the change happened early.

RazorX can tell you thats not the case.

3 years still means its not rushed. maybe compared to Funimation who I believe had 4 years but it still turned out good despite it all.

I hear it on the "whole world hear" part but otherwise hes holding back on the res tof the lines.
Last edited by Ree on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:21 pm

when talking about Piccolo I was thinking more like monotone.
Deep, yes, monotone, no. I thought your big problem is that he doesn't sound Namekian enough, whatever that means.
My point is that its a possibility for a kid to have a deep voice.
Which doesn't do your point any favors.
He does but I cant look up deviantart images of Human Piccolo and attach it to him.
What does this even mean?
Everything you just said can apply to Sean Schemmel. hes a poor man's Ian Corlett and doesn't capture the characters youthful nature all the way.
Kelamis is good so thats not saying a lot :D he just should have been the voice for older goku in end of DB instead of in Z. but at least the change happened early.
No, it can't. His voice fits Goku and he sounds youthful and exuberant, and captures Goku's naiveté, something Ian never did. By Kai he has more or less dropped the superhero deliveries that Morrow hasn't. Kelamis is awful.
RazorX can tell you thats not the case.
Who is RazorX, and what is this referring to?
I hear it on the "whole world hear" part but otherwise hes holding back on the res tof the lines.
No he's not, or at least I don't hear it. You can hear Goku's happiness in that delivery. I don't know how you are hearing this, but we aren't hearing the same thing. That video you posted of Morrow's Goku battling Kid Buu is some of the most bland delivery you'll hear. It doesn't stand out, and even his battle noises lack energy. That's not Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:39 pm

he says every line almost the same way, theres no weight. no menace. no character. nothing. it means he sounds too much like a human being. Do you get it now?
also watch this comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5eM7v5AvJY

-go on deviantart or google images
-type in "Human Piccolo" and look at some human piccolo images.
-Its hard to imagine Scott on human Piccolo while I can imagine Chris on it just fine.

Ian does sound naive though. maybe he sounds a bit too smart but he can still be naive. he just doesnt sound like a total moron.
I never heard "Hero" in any of them to start with.
how is Kelamis awful?

RazorX is a member of this site and hes much more informed on Ocean's dubs and the company than most people.

Kirby Morrow has a good amount of energy. it's just that he doesnt overdo it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:56 pm

go on deviantart or google images
-type in "Human Piccolo" and look at some human piccolo images.
-Its hard to imagine Scott on human Piccolo while I can imagine Chris on it just fine.
What in the world are you talking about? You brought up Sabat not sounding Namekian enough, whatever that means. If the knock against Sabat is that he doesn't sound like a Namekian, then no one can do a good job voicing Piccolo because Namekians don't exist! That was my point. I've seen both Kai and the Ocean dub of that scene numerous times, and both actors have different, but great deliveries. Monotonous - you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Ian does sound naive though.
He really doesn't.
how is Kelamis awful?
The cadence of his delivery is completely forced and unnatural. The Goofy awkward delivery bugs me every time. It's moderately better in the movies.
Kirby Morrow has a good amount of energy. it's just that he doesnt overdo it.
He doesn't do it at all. If ever there was a time to give some energy, it's in mid battle.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Ree wrote:when talking about Piccolo I was thinking more like monotone. oh and in the other thread you said Scott has a human voice too. He does but I cant look up deviantart images of Human Piccolo and attach it to him.
Why do you keep using this as an argument? It makes no sense, as what does a Namekian have to sound like? Do you want Funimation to hire a big green alien to voice Piccolo? :lol: :lol:

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:32 pm

First, ABED

it means his voice sounds too human like to believe it could be part of a fictional race.
Dragons do not exist. Hollywood robots do not exist. Inanimate objects come to life do not exist. that doesnt mean you just attach any old voice to them and try to pass them off as the things I listed.
Monotonous means keeps the same tone and voice over and over again
How was the Kai version great ?

He can pull it off at times and he's good when goofy too

Goku is supposed to be goofy?
didn't watch the Pioneer movies yet so I wouldn't really know

Like you said we just don't hear the same thing

Now Dbzfan94

I'm not asking for a Big Green alien (Sorry I just HAD to do it!)
Anyway, not asking for a Big Green alien to descend to earth, just asking for the voice at least be decent and not sound like a 100% human
Listen to Scott, he doesn't sound totally human

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Monotonous means keeps the same tone and voice over and over again
I know what it means, I just don't think you know what it means. That clip isn't monotonous. His voice goes up and down. You make it sound like Sabat's delivery is like Steven Wright.
How was the Kai version great?
It was distinctive and sounded believable.

Dragons do not exist. Hollywood robots do not exist. Inanimate objects come to life do not exist. that doesnt mean you just attach any old voice to them and try to pass them off as the things I listed.
What does a Namekian sound like to you? Because there are a lot of different Namekians, they all aren't Piccolo, and Sabat's voice . What exactly are you looking for in a Namekian voice, you are so vague about this. At this point it just seems like your sole criterion is "not Sabat".
Listen to Scott, he doesn't sound totally human
Yes he does, he sounds exaggerated, but still clearly a human voicing a character, and not all Namekians sound like Piccolo. And there are numerous valid interpretations of Piccolo's voice. He doesn't always have to sound gruff like McNeil. Furukawa's voice is normal and he's amazing as Piccolo.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:57 pm

If I didn't know what it means I wouldnt have just told you

Namekians are described as humanoids with PLANT and SLUG like traits, they're also green and like aliens. Now plants and slugs don't have voices so if you don't use a human voice you're pretty much using your imagination. they should sound like a distinct race which is out of this world. The eldest Namek would sound like a old man that is like an alien, King Piccolo would sound demonic and evil since he's the demon king (whoever did him in DB was good), his son would be almost the same and child Namekians can be given more leeway since their voices won't develop yet

Hope that makes more sense.

Its not really "exaggerated"to me. we all know he's human but I can believe the voice attached to him.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Ree wrote:If I didn't know what it means I wouldnt have just told you

Namekians are described as humanoids with PLANT and SLUG like traits, they're also green and like aliens. Now plants and slugs don't have voices so if you don't use a human voice you're pretty much using your imagination. they should sound like a distinct race which is out of this world. The eldest Namek would sound like a old man that is like an alien, King Piccolo would sound demonic and evil since he's the demon king (whoever did him in DB was good), his son would be almost the same and child Namekians can be given more leeway since their voices won't develop yet

Hope that makes more sense.

Its not really "exaggerated"to me. we all know he's human but I can believe the voice attached to him.
You are being WAY too literal. Did you not know it's a reference to The Princess Bride?

The race is made up. The voices can sound pretty much any way you want them to. Do you hate every other Namekian voice? Because none of them sound like McNeil's Piccolo. Saiyans are also a race from out of this world. What does a voice from out of this world sound like? And the Eldest Namek in Kai does sound like an old man. The guy that did King Piccolo's voice in DB? Chris Sabat. King Piccolo is different than every other Namekian because he's the pure evil part of Kami, so he's not an alien as much as he is a demon.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:07 pm

I know you lifted the quote from there but when you brought it up the second time not really.

They can but what I'm saying is I really wouldn't expect them to sound exactly like humans. No I hate the crappy ones. Saiyans are also more like humans unlike Namekians. A voice from out of this world can really sound like anything depending on the fictional creature and/or its biology and other traits.
If he was that good as K Piccolo (and Omega who actually sounds dragonic I wonder why he can't put out better performances now?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:12 pm

Ree wrote:I know you lifted the quote from there but when you brought it up the second time not really.

They can but what I'm saying is I really wouldn't expect them to sound exactly like humans. No I hate the crappy ones. Saiyans are also more like humans unlike Namekians. A voice from out of this world can really sound like anything depending on the fictional creature and/or its biology and other traits.
If he was that good as K Piccolo (and Omega who actually sounds dragonic I wonder why he can't put out better performances now?
I would because Namekians are ficitional and there's little reason to think they wouldn't sound human as they're humanoid and a human will voice those characters. What should Namekians sound like? You NEVER answer that. Namekians look very human. They have a head, neck, torso, arms, legs, 20 phalanges, vocal chords, etc. I see no reason why his ability to regrow limbs or not have to eat would mean his voice has to sound inhuman. McNeil doesn't sound inhuman, he just adds some gruffness and gravel to his delivery.

King Piccolo is different from his son, and the One Star Dragon is actually a weaker performance by Sabat. The JPN actor is more distinctive and interesting sounding.

You hate crappy ones? Really, so you hate every namekian character not voiced by McNeil?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:22 pm

KaiserNeko wrote: (McNeil's in the first three movies is still the reigning Piccolo voice)
Wait are we talking about all piccolo voice actors or just the dub ones ? If it's the former........ Time to buy those movies.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 pm

You may say that but that doesn't absolutely mean they could or should or would sound human. Mewtwo has traits in common with humans and from what I heard (I really don't watch the series, it didnot sound much like a human. I have answered it although maybe not in a matter you're satisfied with but I have.

The OSD: I haven't heard the Japanese voice

Guru is not voiced by him and he's good
Dende is pretty decent too