Episode #0212 (14 March 2010)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Re: Episode #0212 (14 March 2010)

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:38 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If you'll excuse me, I'll be off playing SoulSilver.
I've been waiting for the day when all the Pokémon games were on more up-to-date systems. Now that it is here, I will start my epic playthrough of FireRed, HeartGold, Emerald, and Platinum. I don't expect to get halfway through FireRed before I realize it's too much work and give up.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:38 pm

I've been waiting for the day when all the Pokémon games were on more up-to-date systems. Now that it is here, I will start my epic playthrough of FireRed, HeartGold, Emerald, and Platinum. I don't expect to get halfway through FireRed before I realize it's too much work and give up.

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:08 pm

johnboy1 wrote:
I'm so glad I'm not the only person attemping this grand journey. Best of luck to us!

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:28 pm

I think to some small degree, it wasn't right that the email regarding the dub music wasn't answered. It should've been addressed, even if the responses were gonna be negative.
The majority here bash the dub all the damn time, but I STILL watch the show with the English voice cast from time to time. I have better things to do then visit threads that eventually lead to dub/sub debates, hence my absence and non-participation in those discussions. I'm not some member of the fandom who's insecure about my own personal preferences.
What's the point in requesting emails if they're not gonna be answered?
Point being, the question should've been addressed.
By no means is this a jab at the podcast or its other listeners. I listen to the show all the time and frequently hear old episodes so that I can play catch-up. It's just that this little thing was a bit of a bummer.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:31 pm

We did answer the e-mail -- we told the individual that his opinions would not be validated by our further discussion of the topic. Do you FUNimation dub fans seriously want to hear more from us about it? I... I really don't think you do. There's nothing to be gained on any side from a discussion whose sole purpose is to be overwhelmingly negative. We seriously have next-to-zero nice things to say about it.

It was important enough to at least put that stuff out there since we get an e-mail every once in a blue moon from new folks wondering why we're not talking about the FUNimation dub.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I think the question was answered fine. They made it clear they don't like the dub, or its music - and any answer more detailed would simply be (as we've seen in the past) completely negative. This would not be fun for Chris.

-edit- Re: Everything Mike said.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:41 pm

Well, in all honesty Mike, have you ever sat down and really listened to any of the Faulconer CD's? Becuase I'll be honest and upfront with you, I actually bought the LEGEND OF DRAGONWORLD set, the Dragonball & Dragonball Z Daizenshuu set, and the Dragonball Z BGM Collection (LOTS OF MONEY GONE RIGHT THERE), so I could give Kikuchi's music a chance. And that's just something I don't see on Daizenshuu EX The Podcast, and it really saddens me to no end. Which is why I would love a podcast episode like the one I mentioned above.
To add. I'm sure Mike has listened to enough of the dub music to form the opinion of it that he has (correct me if I'm wrong Mike), so I'm sure he has given it enough of "a chance".

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Majin Buu wrote:
Well, in all honesty Mike, have you ever sat down and really listened to any of the Faulconer CD's? Becuase I'll be honest and upfront with you, I actually bought the LEGEND OF DRAGONWORLD set, the Dragonball & Dragonball Z Daizenshuu set, and the Dragonball Z BGM Collection (LOTS OF MONEY GONE RIGHT THERE), so I could give Kikuchi's music a chance. And that's just something I don't see on Daizenshuu EX The Podcast, and it really saddens me to no end. Which is why I would love a podcast episode like the one I mentioned above.
To add. I'm sure Mike has listened to enough of the dub music to form the opinion of it that he has (correct me if I'm wrong Mike), so I'm sure he has given it enough of "a chance".
Possibly. However, I find that listening to music in the show and on a soundtrack are rather different. For example, in order to watch the Japanese version of DBZ , I actually listened to the CD's first, since I couldn't enjoy the music as it played in the show, at least at first.

Bernhard

Post by Bernhard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:27 am

Greenman wrote:Did Ms. Rosier forget to answer what version they watch in the DBZ club or did I just miss it?
She forgot. I kind of suspect it's the dub, what with her saying "Seiyan," "Krillin," and "Tien," but maybe that's just out of habit from starting with the dubs? I'd also like to know if she bought/plans to buy the Dragon Boxes, or if she's sticking to the orange bricks?

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Bernhard wrote:
Greenman wrote:Did Ms. Rosier forget to answer what version they watch in the DBZ club or did I just miss it?
She forgot. I kind of suspect it's the dub, what with her saying "Seiyan," "Krillin," and "Tien," but maybe that's just out of habit from starting with the dubs? I'd also like to know if she bought/plans to buy the Dragon Boxes, or if she's sticking to the orange bricks?
Yeah, that's also the impression that I got, for those exact same reasons.

Greenman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Greenman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 am

Bernhard wrote:
I was thinking that as well but it would have been nice to hear a confirmation one way or the other. I would have liked to hear what the other members opinions are on the sub/dub thing too.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:48 pm

Greenman wrote:
Bernhard wrote:
I was thinking that as well but it would have been nice to hear a confirmation one way or the other. I would have liked to hear what the other members opinions are on the sub/dub thing too.
Yeah, I also got the impression that it was a dub-oriented club. And first of all, that's great for her. I'm glad she took the time to be on the show, and she was a quite entertaining and informative, and I think it's great what she's doing/what her story for doing it is. It'd be great to have her back on the show in a while to see how the club continues to go, or even in a couple of years to see how/if it continues in her absence. It's always good and refreshing to see the fandom continue in new ways with new people.

However, a sad thought passed across me as I was listening to it. If I was still college age and at that school... I have to admit that I probably wouldn't be a part of this club because of my impression of it being season set dub watching. And that's not some remark out of arrogance. But just as someone from a different end of the fandom, it's just something I wouldn't find entertaining to me personally. And I think that's kinda sad. Haha, like being in high school again and being the only person in my social circle who had any affection for the original version.

I don't think I've ever really met anyone in real life who follows the original version. It's only online I've been able to find like minded fans. So Ms. Rosier formed her DBZ club in part because the standard anime clubs wouldn't deal with it. So in my hypothetical life where I am still in college, would I need to create my own club to cater to my specific branch of fandom (original version with equal emphasis on both parts of the series)... and where would I find these people? That just seems ever more divisive. I'm not even sure what my point was anymore. I'm really just musing. So thanks again for getting her on the show, Mike, and provoking thought in at least one guy. ^_^

saiyanqueen08

Post by saiyanqueen08 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:37 pm

We are watching Funimation Dub, with funimation music. Just like when it showed on Toonami.

Anymore Questions?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu May 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Yeah. You sound like a cutie.

Oh sorry, that wasn't a question.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Thu May 20, 2010 7:53 pm

saiyanqueen08 wrote:We are watching Funimation Dub, with funimation music. Just like when it showed on Toonami.

Anymore Questions?
Actually I am mildly curious, where did you get the whole idea that Vegeta killed Nappa because he didn't want him to suffer?
Innagadadavida wrote:Yeah. You sound like a cutie.

Oh sorry, that wasn't a question.
THAT'S THE WORST HUMPHREY BOGART IMPRESSION I'VE EVER HEARD!

(awful line or awfulest line?)

saiyanqueen08

Post by saiyanqueen08 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:48 am

Thanks for calling me a cutie, and I heard it somewhere just as like a reasoning for his sudden dissition to kill Nappa. I liked the reasoning and thought a lot about it and as a Vegeta Fan I do not see him as a heartless b@stard so I like to believe in the comment I off-handily heard. :D

Oh and if anyone was interested this is the link to the Club on facbook http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gro ... all&ref=ts

Oh, as a quick side note. I think Bruce Faulconer is a musical genius. I just personally feel that DBZ done with his music has a deeper emotional feel to it. Well, I just know that I have strong connective feelings to the characters and situations when Faulconer composure is involved. That's just what I personally get from his music. :mrgreen:

I also LOVE FunImation Dub, Christopher Sabat is a GOD! (in my opinion)

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:26 am

saiyanqueen08 wrote:Thanks for calling me a cutie, and I heard it somewhere just as like a reasoning for his sudden dissition to kill Nappa. I liked the reasoning and thought a lot about it and as a Vegeta Fan I do not see him as a heartless b@stard so I like to believe in the comment I off-handily heard. :D
Well, at that point in the series he was a heartless bastard.

I have another question. Is there anyone in your group that favors the original Japanese version? Or is at least aware of it? Because to be honest, I share Gaffer's sentiment. If I was in that area and heard about this club and checked it out, finding out that it focuses on the dub only would be a real turn off and probably keep me from coming back because I don't like the dub. And it is a shame because I am a Dragon Ball fan and you guys sound like good, fun fellow Dragon Ball fans. Unfortunately we're just not fans of the same Dragon Ball.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 pm

Really? That's pretty elitist if you ask me. If it were my club, I wouldn't want you there.

Honestly, if you were a nice, interesting person, and you stumbled across a group of dub fans who hang out and talk about Dragon Ball, you could use that opportunity to introduce them to the original version. Y'know, rather than expecting them to conform to your preferences.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 pm

You toss out "elitist" in what I personally feel is quite the wrong way, and just an attempt to dismiss someone else's feelings while still feeling good about yourself ("They're just 'elitist', so I can ignore what they say.").

If the club as an entire whole does not offer a culture that matches up with someone's interests... why is it, exactly, that they should stick around? Your suggestion is so they can slowly indoctrinate and convert. Isn't that pretty insidious? The new person shouldn't expect them to conform to their preferences, but they should take the opportunity to introduce them? I... guess that makes sense, but it's far too easy to flip around as having self-serving intentions just as much as *not* sticking around can be flipped as being "elitist".

Why is it so bad to just have a situation of, "Oh hey, I guess they're not really into what I'm into, thanks but no thanks! Have a good time!"...? You talk about being "nice" and "cool", but automatically assume that if someone isn't interested, they have to be a jerk.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:52 pm

No, I'm saying that, out of all the clubs in the entire school, and out of all of one's interests, there just happens to be a Dragon Ball club. How cool is that? Pretty cool, right? You agree, you had her as a guest on the podcast. But the members of the club enjoy a different version. No big deal, right? Well, apparently it is. So much so, that despite the fact that this person enjoys Dragon Ball to the point of posting on a forum about it, they'll just ignore the club. These people sound like cool, interesting folk who sit around and talk about Goku, Piccolo, and Namek.

Let me put it this way. I don't particularly care for the 1996 Ocean dub. I happen to believe my versions are much much better than that one. Say I found a club dedicated to Dragon Ball at my school, but the members focused on that dub. I would not care at all. It's still Dragon Ball. I'm not going to just walk away from a bunch of nice people that I have a big thing in common with just because they enjoy a version I don't. That's asinine to me.

The reason I use the term "elitist" is because this person believes his version is so much better that he'd rather not associate with those who don't. That kind of behavior really gets under my skin. It has nothing to do with which version is better. It's all about attitude.