The "revival" of Dragon Ball has been going on since 2013, when will it end?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The "revival" of Dragon Ball has been going on since 2013, when will it end?

Post by Trouser » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:25 am

precita wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:46 pm territory with plotlines spiraling out of control and uninteresting villains/power ups.
Super is already there. Most of the ToP fighters, Jiren, Moro and Granolah (he still has time though but other than design, he is just... nothing special, with his abilities he feels even more like a movie villain than an actual movie villain) are uninteresting with uninteresting power ups (recolored forms, Anilaza, Hakai Toppo, Ribrianne, Moro a.k.a. Perfect Cell...).

I do want an arc with adult Trunks and others, but it's not likely to happen.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Re: The "revival" of Dragon Ball has been going on since 2013, when will it end?

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:13 am

Yuji wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:54 am Dragon Ball has an end. All the modern stuff is appeasing those who want more but those who don't can just enjoy the original series.
This.

It wouldn't be financially viable to bring it back if there was no demand for it. Dragon Ball ultimately came back because it still makes money, and it still makes money because enough people still like it enough to want more of it. This revival will only truly end when that changes.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:36 am

Shuiesha and Toei are still milking the property for all it's worth and keep that money train rolling, they're not going to let the franchise end anytime soon much like how after the manga finished serialization in 1995 and DBZ finished airing in early '96 they weren't about to just halt it there and thus we got GT. Though i think there it was obvious despite their efforts it was inevitably going to taper off for a while.

They'll still be churning out stuff of the foreseeable future, i don't see things entering a dry period of a few years without new games, merch.etc like after GT ended in late 1997.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:48 am

The Dragon Ball gravy train will never end. The franchise is proven to be an unkillable money-making machine. Not even GT was enough to kill it.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:58 am

As long as the video games keep releasing and the toys keep selling, Dragon Ball will go on, even without a manga or TV specials
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:02 pm

Well videogames are different, I'm talking about canon stories. Obviously merch will go on forever.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:01 pm

It will never end. When Toriyama and Toei run out of ideas for Goku, they'll simply pull out a Next Gen cartoon:

Just like that^

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:31 pm

When Nozawa and/or Toriyama retire.

Obviously games and merch won’t stop, but in terms of the story itself (‘canon’ or not.)

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:28 pm

Unless Toriyama is willing to go beyond EoZ, then probably soon, because I don't know how they will continue to create stories that take place in this 10-year gap, eventually there won't be any more time. Toyotaro said a few years ago that DBS was preparing the ground for DB's original ending, so clearly the goal is to get there (rather than endlessly creating stories set in that short amount of time).

Considering that the situation is now much more comfortable for Toriyama when it comes to creating new stories, then I believe there is a possibility for the series to go beyond the original ending (considering the demand and the amount of money the brand makes), and from then on there is no way to know how long it will last.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:06 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:01 pm It will never end. When Toriyama and Toei run out of ideas for Goku, they'll simply pull out a Next Gen cartoon:

Just like that^
SSJ girls :thumbup:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SuperSunnyDee

Post by SuperSunnyDee » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:40 pm

I don’t see this ongoing flow of animated content ending any time soon. If I had to predict a time frame for the series to go through another lull, I’d say it has another 10 years left in it easy.

And even then, Dragon Ball won’t disappear. Video games, OVA’s, and manga will still be ongoing. But I feel like the production of anime and films is what keeps a franchise like Dragon Ball “on the radar” for a mainstream audience to grab onto. I really do think original animated stories is crucial for Dragon Ball to remain in this sort of popular “renaissance era.”

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:40 pm

People keep saying that but the Super anime only had a 3 year run from 2015-2018...and apparently Toei doesn't have enough interest to bring it back full-time.

We're now 3 years since Super ended and there's no return for the anime in sight. If Toei doesn't want to continue Super outside of movies, then the series is already done for now.

Champion Vic

Post by Champion Vic » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:34 pm

It's been going on since 2009 with DB Kai. In my opinion

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:44 pm

I'm ok with super continuing in films, they can continue the Anime story while also providing "inbetweeners" to the manga since ROF and Broly didn't get an adaptation.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:33 pm

precita wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:40 pm People keep saying that but the Super anime only had a 3 year run from 2015-2018...and apparently Toei doesn't have enough interest to bring it back full-time.

We're now 3 years since Super ended and there's no return for the anime in sight. If Toei doesn't want to continue Super outside of movies, then the series is already done for now.
I think a misconception was that a revival was meant to keep churning out episodes until it stopped making money. There aren't many year-round anime left and most still ongoing are episodic anime for children or toy franchises aside from Naruto and OP which will also end one day. A few years between seasons isn't uncommon now and there have only been a handful of newer anime in the last decade that went longer than 100 episodes. Toei is one of the biggest anime studios so it's likely better to wait for more content to adapt while they work on other series.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:18 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:57 am Never. Media mix for Dragon Ball is much better now than it was in the late 1990s.
Not very hard to accomplish, seeing as how Dragon Ball was pretty much over and done with by the late 1990s and had stopped producing new content entirely for awhile.

Unless you're talking about here in North America, which shouldn't count since none of that was "new content" strictly speaking.

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:16 am I firmly believe stuff should end. Dragon Ball was 444 goddamn episodes. We've had quite enough of the damn thing.
Say what you want about GT, but it at least had the good sense to give us this:

And leave it at that for well over a decade+.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:27 am

Skar wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:28 pm
Trouser wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:31 am I'm hoping for "canon" definitive ending soon. The "main story" and it's characters suffered enough after Battle of Gods with okay stuff here and there. Dragon Ball should end and be left alone and never touched again by Toriyama (when he retires again, fandom most likely won't accept Toyotarou as the "canon" maker). DBS probably will be dragged till EoZ. I don't think they will ever go beyond original manga. They are overstuffing and milking this 10 year gap af, so eventually they are going to run out of time and place.

I'm open to spin-offs and "non-canon" material though. It could be really good and even when bad, still would be harmless because "non-canon"...
I think that's most likely what's going to happen once Toriyama retires. Even now anything that's not in the "main continuity" involving Toriyama has been a relatively short spinoff like the Yamcha manga, SD, and Heroes. There could be more spinoffs like a short manga on V-Jump or promotional special/anime every few years but I don't see another major movie or full length anime without Toriyama or that they'll be successful without him. We're in the "hospice years" of DB like VegettoEX said.
I wish the Dragon ball sd author (sorry, forgot her name) could have the chance to make her own stories.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:06 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:01 pm It will never end. When Toriyama and Toei run out of ideas for Goku, they'll simply pull out a Next Gen cartoon:

Just like that^
SSJ girls :thumbup:
Who drew that?

Jamtia

Post by Jamtia » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:57 am

To me DB is kinda like Star Wars to me.

As long as it keeps making money, the thing will keep going. In SW case, they almost lost a good chunk of the fanbase when they released a polarizing movie. Their sales in marketing went down when they mass produced so much products that a good chunk of it went unsold. Now you don't see as much SW as you did in the beginning of the Disney revival. But with Mandalorian and other shows on Disney Plus, SW got its mojo back.

I don't think DB is there and I don't think it will reach that as long as it continues to market good and make good products. But then again the SW fandom is such a different animal from the fandom of DB. If you don't like DBGT or Super, or Goku's character, we aren't going to boycott. We will voice our opinions here and for the most part, it's ok. With SW, do something wrong to Luke Skywalker and you will have the fanbase coming at your throat!

And I don't think DB is going to make a bad saga like SW did with the sequel trilogy. What's been labeled as meh with DB like GT, RoF, or whatever you want to list has still kept the train going.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:09 pm

I think when Toriyama retires for good and Nozawa passes away it might be a good stopping point, at least in terms of canon material.