Daizenshuu EX DB wiki...again

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Daizenshuu EX DB wiki...again

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:37 am

I think the images should be DBox only. I always hated in the other wiki seeing low quality & censored pictures from Toonami. And we will have a standard quality in the pictures too. For Kai, it should be DVDs/BDs.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Son Goshen

Post by Son Goshen » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:48 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I think the images should be DBox only. I always hated in the other wiki seeing low quality & censored pictures from Toonami. And we will have a standard quality in the pictures too. For Kai, it should be DVDs/BDs.
I don't think the pictures should be limited to DBZ boxes and DVDs. There are plenty sources on the web that gives high quality DBZ episodes in which you could just quickly take a screenshot of, such as websites carrying English sub instead of dub, unless this is going to be based off of the English version of DBZ and not the original? Some people (*coughmecough*) simply don't own any of the DVDs and boxes or isn't in America, which would ultimately not allow them to upload any pictures onto the new wiki if the above is used.

Then again no one will know if I just use an image that's got good quality but doesn't come from the boxes. :lol:
AKTF

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:26 am

I don't own any Dragon Ball home release, since I don't live in US or any country that sells Dragon Ball DVDs, and I don't have any means to buy DVDs. I do have, however, very good DBox ripps. But that's not the place to discuss this. I'm saying that the source should be the Dragon Boxes, because it's our best quality source for DB/Z/GT. That way, we will have a stable, good & mostly accurate quality of images. I don't think we sould have low quality images (like the singles) or terribly inaccurate (Season Sets) or TV-Ripps, and without any kind of subs. Now, if the picture you found on the internet are identical with the DBoxes, I think it would be fine.
Son Goshen wrote:such as websites carrying English sub instead of dub, unless this is going to be based off of the English version of DBZ and not the original?
NOOOO!!! Don't say that again! This is madness!
Son Goshen wrote:Then again no one will know if I just use an image that's got good quality but doesn't come from the boxes. :lol:
Oh trust me, they will. :wink:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Unless it's actually a video quality comparison, I don't think really high-quality images are needed. Not to say it doesn't matter what they look like, but maybe something a 320x240 level 100 JPEG would be fine? (All taken from the Dragon Boxes, of course.) Something like this:
ImageImage

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:47 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I think the images should be DBox only. I always hated in the other wiki seeing low quality & censored pictures from Toonami. And we will have a standard quality in the pictures too. For Kai, it should be DVDs/BDs.
No manga only, then for anime only stuff DBox only, always start with the source and then fill in everything else

dantman

Post by dantman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Unless it's actually a video quality comparison, I don't think really high-quality images are needed. Not to say it doesn't matter what they look like, but maybe something a 320x240 level 100 JPEG would be fine? (All taken from the Dragon Boxes, of course.) Something like this:
  • If you are outputting an image at 320x240 into the browser you may actually want a 640x480 images. Newer devices are coming out with double pixel densities. Such that for every region of a certain size the screen actually has the ability to display an image of twice the pixel size. And even MW has plans to support those devices. So eventually it'll happily serve a 640x480 image when you use a 320x240 region and the user views with a device like the iPad 3 which is capable of displaying 640x480 in that 320x240.
  • Borders should never be part of the image.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Those lines are right on the image. I suppose they can be cropped out, though.
Compared to the uncropped, lossless PNG:

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Nex Carnifex wrote: No manga only, then for anime only stuff DBox only, always start with the source and then fill in everything else
Who died and made you the boss?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:58 pm

For manga pics, I think there should be some just to compare differences between manga & anime (for example, Piccolo's fingers, Goku's outfit colors, SSJ auras)

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:07 pm

You guys are making this way more difficult than it should be:

"What should the standards for images for the wiki be?"
Whatever is relevant for the article in question.

Would a screen shot help the article? Get the best, least doctored screen shot possible. Would a scan of the manga help the article? Scan the manga, save at a reasonable size.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:39 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:For manga pics, I think there should be some just to compare differences between manga & anime (for example, Piccolo's fingers, Goku's outfit colors, SSJ auras)
I just feel the anime is based on the source the information site should be based on the source as well, at least as much as possible, like if there is a manga scan for an attack that should be what represents it not the anime copy. I just feel that would make it more authentic.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:32 pm

We could just do what Naruto wiki does. A manga and anime pic. Like this: http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Ao

dantman

Post by dantman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:We could just do what Naruto wiki does. A manga and anime pic. Like this: http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Ao
Heh, I vaguely remember that discussion. Wasn't quite happy with the implementation using Wikia's crap tab system. But yes, generally the best policy is to include all the information, include meta information separating the information, and let the reader make their own choices.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:45 pm

I agree with that idea

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:We could just do what Naruto wiki does. A manga and anime pic. Like this: http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Ao
The Naruto Wiki usualy provides both versions when they differ.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:39 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
The Naruto Wiki usualy provides both versions when they differ.
I know, it was a compromise on what would have been an unnecessary edit war between anime/manga preferencers. Only I say for Daizen Db Wiki we do it on a larger scale.

How are we going to do articles in general, because for very important characters like Goku who will have a very big page, we could go the route of One Piece wiki: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Monkey_D._Luffy and add in a transformations tab as well.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:34 am

I can't say I'm a big fan of the tab system. I'd prefer one long article page for simplicity's sake.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 am

JulieYBM wrote:I can't say I'm a big fan of the tab system. I'd prefer one long article page for simplicity's sake.
Agreed. There are a host of issues with using tabs, it's much simpler and safer to just use one page, many sections.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Yeah, I also agree, I tried that system and I didn't like it much. Just have sections when applicable.

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:39 pm

so when exactly is this coming out