Kai Blu-Ray Release

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:48 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
SSJToreto wrote:Here's a high res picture: http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3746/49761991.png
Did you manually capture and align each segment of that image, or did you manage to find out where Amazon hosts the full-size image?
Their Zoom thingies are usually in 4 or 6 pieces, it's easy to piece them together in Photoshop or what ever.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:45 am

Herms wrote:There's an updated French translation? Does that have to do with Goku now being "Son Goku" instead of "Sangoku"?
Yes, thank God there is. Goodbye "Sangoku" and "Tortue géniale" ("Great Turtle")! :)
It has already been completely updated, along with original tankobon covers, titles, etc...

Right now, it is going through additional slight updates (by the same female translator who happens to be a huge fan) as the Kanzenban (known as "Perfect Edition") is being released (correcting a few names which had been misinterpreted, eliminating unnecessary Japanese elements, correcting a few lines here and there for better impact, and adding still much more translation notes - explanations for every name, every Japanese/Toriyama reference, characters' way to speak, every writtings...).

Apparently, from what I've read on this forum, the German "Perfect Edition" is edited by the same editor (Glenat) and is based on the French version, exactly the same, except that... well, it's in German (luckily for them)! :wink:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:49 am

Wow, the French kanzenban sounds great. I picked up books 41 and 42 of the Glenat French tankoubon back in high school when I was studying French. Maybe I'll pick up some of these newer editions. It'd give me any excuse to take up French again, at the very least.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:30 am

Cold Skin wrote: Apparently, from what I've read on this forum, the German "Perfect Edition" is edited by the same editor (Glenat) and is based on the French version, exactly the same, except that... well, it's in German (luckily for them)! :wink:
Hum, that I might be interested in. Hope we get a Danish one, too.
I could care less about a Norwegian release, Schibsted has proven time and again they don't want my Dragonball money with their laughably subpar releases.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:33 pm

Herms wrote:Wow, the French kanzenban sounds great. I picked up books 41 and 42 of the Glenat French tankoubon back in high school when I was studying French. Maybe I'll pick up some of these newer editions. It'd give me any excuse to take up French again, at the very least.
The new translation is really great if you're familiar with French, as it sounds very natural and characters really have ways to speak that fits their temper! It really "sounds" like spoken dialogue as you'd hear it in France everyday.

Lots of ambiguous or contradictory dialogues were corrected as well (when Nappa heads towards Ten Shin Han and he prepares to hit, the first translation had Piccolo saying "Block it!!" when the new translation has him saying "Dodge!!", which is... well, quite the opposite advice, nothing less! :) )

If you want some, the whole tankobon collection is released (in packs of two, as you probably already know since you already picked the last pack). The Kanzenban has just started this year and has volume 3 arriving this wednesday. Besides all elements of the Japanese version (which the Japanese gave the order to keep the same for the French market!!), the translation is slightly updated as I said and there are much more notes everywhere!
Adamant wrote:
Cold Skin wrote: Apparently, from what I've read on this forum, the German "Perfect Edition" is edited by the same editor (Glenat) and is based on the French version, exactly the same, except that... well, it's in German (luckily for them)! :wink:
Hum, that I might be interested in. Hope we get a Danish one, too.
I could care less about a Norwegian release, Schibsted has proven time and again they don't want my Dragonball money with their laughably subpar releases.
You should check out if it's true about the German stuff. That was posted on this forum a few months ago, so the thread may have gone way down on the list! But the member did say that his/her Kanzenban had arrived and that it was edited by Glenat and given the examples of dialogues she talked about, it was obviously based on the French translation and had the very same translation notes (Glenat is a French editor anyway as far as I know... though receiving direct orders by the Japanese editor, "Shueisha" I think it's called...). I'm pretty sure it was in Germany, but I don't want to say a lie, so you should check out if it is indeed Germany if you're interested in that German release, but I'm pretty sure it is!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:37 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
SSJToreto wrote:Here's a high res picture: http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3746/49761991.png
Did you manually capture and align each segment of that image, or did you manage to find out where Amazon hosts the full-size image?
Their Zoom thingies are usually in 4 or 6 pieces, it's easy to piece them together in Photoshop or what ever.
Yeah, I was just wondering if there was a way to just find the full-quality source and skip all of that; would save me time in the future...

Anyway, is there anyone on this message board that owns a Blu-ray disc drive for their computer? I think owning one will be in order, for someone at least.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:19 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Anyway, is there anyone on this message board that owns a Blu-ray disc drive for their computer? I think owning one will be in order, for someone at least.
If all goes as planned, I should fit that bill by the time these are released.

-Corey

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:25 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote: Anyway, is there anyone on this message board that owns a Blu-ray disc drive for their computer? I think owning one will be in order, for someone at least.
I've got one, I don't know if I'll snap up any of the Kai releases just yet, but I've got plans to do a dissection of one of the double feature Blu-ray discs.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:24 am

Damn it :( 4:3 is only going to be released on Blu ray? I doubt I'm even going to own a Blu-ray player until DVD completely disappears. At least it's a decent cropping

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:25 pm

Rod wrote:Damn it :( 4:3 is only going to be released on Blu ray? I doubt I'm even going to own a Blu-ray player until DVD completely disappears. At least it's a decent cropping
Blu-ray players are slated to drop in price quite a bit for the holiday season, so you might want to think about it (if you have an HD television).

-Corey

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:30 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Rod wrote:Damn it :( 4:3 is only going to be released on Blu ray? I doubt I'm even going to own a Blu-ray player until DVD completely disappears. At least it's a decent cropping
Blu-ray players are slated to drop in price quite a bit for the holiday season, so you might want to think about it (if you have an HD television).

-Corey
Does Blu-Ray cd work on regular dvd player?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:31 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Does Blu-Ray cd work on regular dvd player?
Nope, not even a little bit.

-Corey

Jurik
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jurik » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:05 pm

I want that blurays but the prices are just :twisted:

I can play that Japanese blurays on an american PS3?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Jurik wrote:I want that blurays but the prices are just :twisted:

I guess you can if you change the region code?

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:11 pm

By :twisted:, you mean the prices are great and very competitive with other Blu-ray releases in Japan?

The Blu-rays from Japan should work on your American PS3 because Japan and North America Blu-rays are in the same region, unlike DVDs (N.A. = Region 1; Japan = Region 2). So there's no need to change regions, since they're in the same one. Now, if you get the Kai DVDs instead, then that's a different story.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Hujio wrote:

By :twisted:, you mean the prices are great and very competitive with other Blu-ray releases in Japan?

The Blu-rays from Japan should work on your American PS3 because Japan and North America Blu-rays are in the same region, unlike DVDs (N.A. = Region 1; Japan = Region 2). So there's no need to change regions, since they're in the same one. Now, if you get the Kai DVDs instead, then that's a different story.
But didn't FUNi release Season sets in region 1, 2 and 4? They are DVD, not Blu-Ray.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:42 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Hujio wrote:

But didn't FUNi release Season sets in region 1, 2 and 4? They are DVD, not Blu-Ray.
Yes, you can set DVD's to be compatible with multiple regions, and that is what FUNi chose do, and what Toei did not, for their own reasons.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:52 pm

Sorry. I was confused. :D

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:20 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:But didn't FUNi release Season sets in region 1, 2 and 4? They are DVD, not Blu-Ray.
FUNi has always released their DVDs in multiple regions, that way people in other countries can buy the DVDs and watch them. Japan on the other hand is greedy and typically releases DVDs in only one region, their own (Region 2). That's why when you buy DVDs from Japan you have to have a region free player, because region 2 DVD players aren't sold in the U.S.

Yes, they are DVD, not Blu-ray... but we were talking about Blu-rays, not DVDs. When it comes to Blu-ray, North America and Japan are in the same region, unlike DVDs, as I discussed above.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:45 am

This should make it a little clearer:

DVD Regions:

Blu-ray Regions: