Kai Episode 12 (21 June 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 12 (21 June 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:19 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 12, aired 21 June 2009

(title coming)
(title coming)
(title coming)

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIREDQ
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Mike, I know you don't want anyone posting in this thread yet, but I thought I'd jump in real quick and share this with everyone before the episode airs.

New Live Stream: [url=mms://hinamizawa.jp/livejptv]mms://hinamizawa.jp/livejptv[/url]

You should be able to load this stream in Windows Media Player and watch DragonBall Kai live in much better quality than KeyHole. I will warn you though, I haven't tried this for myself yet, so it may not work. I am told that the stream won't go live until Kai starts, so you'll just get an error screen if you load it early. Good luck... I hope it works!

EDIT: It is working for me! I hope others are having luck.
Last edited by Hujio on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Hujio wrote:Mike, I know you don't want anyone posting in this thread yet, but I thought I'd jump in real quick and share this with everyone before the episode airs.

New Live Stream: [url=mms://hinamizawa.jp/livejptv]mms://hinamizawa.jp/livejptv[/url]

You should be able to load this stream in Windows Media Player and watch DragonBall Kai live in much better quality than KeyHole. I will warn you though, I haven't tried this for myself yet, so it may not work. I am told that the stream won't go live until Kai starts, so you'll just get an error screen if you load it early. Good luck... I hope it works!
My WMV wont work. Alternative please?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Hujio: Thank you very much. It works perfectly :D

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Hujio wrote:Mike, I know you don't want anyone posting in this thread yet, but I thought I'd jump in real quick and share this with everyone before the episode airs.

EDIT: It is working for me! I hope others are having luck.
Yeah, I've been using that stream to watch for awhile now.

Edit: The episode is over. It was excellent. I'm lovin the music in Kai. I wonder, will they use different a different opening and ending once we get to Freeza? I can't wait.
Last edited by Strongbad456 on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Anyone see that Kai Blu-Ray and DVD commercial after the episode? It showed clips of Dragon Soul in 4:3. Looks pretty good!

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Pretty nice episode. I didn't have speakers so I had to watch it on mute :P

Overall, I liked the editing, but I was kind of disappointed that they didn't redo some blasts shots like they usually do...

Next episode seems to be the start of Vegeta's part...pretty fast if you ask me :shock:

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:36 pm

I loved that commerical for the new Dragonball Wii game. It looks pretty good. And I was hoping the commercial for the Kai DVD/Blu-ray release would've had cover-art. I want to see that.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Hujio I love you!

Just finished watching the episode, and I missed the first half :? Good news is, next week we get to see the Goku and Vegeta fight!

I couldn't spot any filler in the second half, was there any in the second half?

Also, out of curiosity, I've discovered new, negative, feelings towards pan and scan cropping. So I was wondering exactly how much info is lost in this "reverse pan and scan"

EDIT: aghh! I missed the commercial, I closed the window the second the pweview for next episode ended

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:45 pm

This episode covered DragonBall Z episode 028 and the first half of 029. All of episode 028 made up the first half of the episode and the first half of episode 028 made up the second half. For the manga, it covered chapters 223-225, and the first 8 pages of 226. From what I could tell it followed the manga fairly well.

Click Here to Watch the Next Episode Preview (Kai Episode 013)

Next Episode Title
これが界王拳だ!!限界バトルの悟空VSべジータ
Kore ga Kaiouken da!! Genkai Batoru no Gokuu Baasesu Bejiita
This is the Kaio-ken!! A Battle to the Limit: Goku vs Vegeta
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 pm

This episode reminded me a lot of the Saban version of the episode. Namely, the way two episodes with two very different animation styles were awkwardly merged into one.

Another thing I noticed was Gohan referring to Piccolo as ojisan. He never did that originally, did he?

Oh yeah...this is the "over 9000" episode. Except the Japanese version said "over 8000" instead :P
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:19 pm

The next episode is "This is the Kaio-ken!! A Battle to the Limit: Goku vs Vegeta". The preview showed up to Vegeta doing his warming up routine and charging Goku, so it will cover the rest of 227 up to 230.
Dogasu wrote:Another thing I noticed was Gohan referring to Piccolo as ojisan. He never did that originally, did he?
No (not in the manga, at least). Though there's actually a part in the Kai DS game where Gohan keeps calling Piccolo that, and Piccolo asks him to stop.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:36 am

I want to call it and say we get new eyecatchers next week. :3
If only because they've been fairly generous with those. We're currently on our third set and its only 12 episodes in.

For the whole first half of this episode I kept hearing the Ocean dub and TFS at different points and thus ended up laughing at inappropriate times. O_O;;;

WHOA sudden art-team shift. @_@

The redrawn scenes are noticable.

WOW, they actually re-drew the scene RIGHT before Vegeta crushes his scouter? O_O

The colors still look beautiful. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:56 am

Wait, this frame of Goku going all rainbow mode in the next episode preview was not in the original, right?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:00 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:Wait, this frame of Goku going all rainbow mode in the next episode preview was not in the original, right?

No. It was.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:01 am

Kendamu wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Wait, this frame of Goku going all rainbow mode in the next episode preview was not in the original, right?

No. It was.

I've never seen that before. :shock:

And OMG I look at that image and ALL I can see is Sailor Moon's henshin sequence. :lol:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:07 am

Chuquita wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

No. It was.

I've never seen that before. :shock:

And OMG I look at that image and ALL I can see is Sailor Moon's henshin sequence. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B5uBPekAFw

Watch from about 2:48 to 2:55. You'll see it.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:19 am

Chuquita wrote:And OMG I look at that image and ALL I can see is Sailor Moon's henshin sequence. :lol:
Thank you for that, I can't unsee it.

I can't believe that was there, as soon as I saw it I thought "WTF? a rainbow?"

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:16 am

Man, I'm starting to get sick of that same music playing every damn episode...I'm really pissed about Piccolo's sacrifice, they made it so unemotional, the Z version is tons time better with that sad music, here you hear the same music you heard from episode 1, and its totally out of place. Its true that Z used the same music over and over but at least they knew how to handle the music with the situation. :?

The new shots are quite noticeable, again, they redo random shots just for the heck of it, instead of redrawing actual stuff that needs cleaning, like for example that angry Nappa when hes about to throw his yellow blast.

Next episode redrawn scenes look weird too, its like they were made in flash, and they also keep redrawn stuff with old stuff so it looks EXTRA noticeable.

I'm really worried.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:36 am

This episode was the most conspicuous one of the whole bunch when comparing to Z. The redrawn scene were really obvious this time and it didn't help the overall quality because of that. What I'm still pondering about are the skin colours. Is it really that hard to mimic the old ones or do they purposefully go with the darker skin?
On another note. Don't you guys think Piccolo's giggle was a bit peculiar?