Kai Episode 13 (27 June 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:55 pm

No, the point is.

Looking at a bootleg of a subpar master from a decade ago, and a bootleg of a modern master and going.

I SEE VAGUE DIFFERENCES, THIS IS COMPLETELY REDRAWN, is plain stupidity.

Especially when your comparison isn't even the SAME frame.

Perhaps comparing visual fidelity isn't your thing, but I'll go ahead and explain something here that might help explain one of the more basic rules.

If you are gonna compare shit, you use the best quality things you can grab.

A bootleg of a DVD that wasn't even really done properly in the first place, compared to a 1080i TV airring of a newer encode, downgraded to a lower resolution, then reencoded, is not how you do a quality 'double checked' comparison.

But I'll go ahead and ignore all that.

Just looking at your 'comparison', it's fucking obvious it's not redrawn, so yank the attitude, and go learn about this shit if you wanna argue it with people, otherwise... go... away.

PS- and just to clarify, yes it does fucking matter where screencaps are from to compare stuff you dolt.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Hujio wrote:
Vino wrote:Are you sure? I double checked, and the wind effect + the sky are a tad different..

I might be wrong though.. :P
Well, in this case, you're wrong. The only part of Vegeta's entire power up scene that was re-animated was the one I noted. Everything else was just remastered, which as we've seen for 13 episodes now, changed the colors. The only difference in the wind between these two shots is that it has been slightly blurred together in DragonBall Kai. Just compare it to a scene that was actually re-animated. The difference in clarity is quite clear, I think. Compare the wind in all four screen shots and tell me which one looks new and updated. Also compare the aura around Vegeta... which one looks new and updated? Maybe certain things like that just stand out visually more to me than other people, but these are the things I use to judge whether something has been re-animated or not.
Thanks for clarifying this case, the blurred wind effect did make me think that it was new.

I thought it might be the same case as this Goku shot from episode 11 as you stated from the other thread:
Hujio wrote:I've noticed that the remastering has made some scenes less faded, which could be the case here. There was a shot that Kamehamehax10 posted, and later removed, that he listed as being re-animated since you could now see the outline of Goku in the aura as he flies along Snake Road. That outline was there in Z as well, but was very faded and almost blended into the aura. But the remastering process made the difference in contrast much greater so that you can now see his outline clearly.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:43 pm

I compared Dragon ball Kai Episode 13 with Z Episode 30. Wow, it's so hard to pick which one I like in term with sound effects. Here's the link if you want to compare.

DBK Episode 13 on 2:39

DBZ Episode 30 on 1:30

Dragon Ball Kai

Dragon Ball Z

What do you think? I love that scene. It's so classic. :D
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:59 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I compared Dragon ball Kai Episode 13 with Z Episode 30. Wow, it's so hard to pick which one I like in term with sound effects. Here's the link if you want to compare.

DBK Episode 13 on 2:39

DBZ Episode 30 on 1:30

What do you think? I love that scene. It's so classic. :D
"You Were a Left Behind"

lol,Subs are fun! :lol:
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:21 am

Here's a shot that Kanzentai forgot to add:

Goku looks terrible :?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:25 am

Was that scene redrawn or anything? Because I don't think Hujio was supposed to track down all the animation where Goku looks lousy.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:35 am

Herms wrote:Was that scene redrawn or anything? Because I don't think Hujio was supposed to track down all the animation where Goku looks lousy.
Yeah it was redrawn.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:52 am

I hate when people call foul on Times when the Art Looks lousy in the redrawn scenes, because 9 times out of 10, it looked exactly as lousy to begin with.

If they didn't try to preserve the lousyness, it would look even more inconsistent than it already was XD

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:54 am

DemonRin wrote:I hate when people call foul on Times when the Art Looks lousy in the redrawn scenes, because 9 times out of 10, it looked exactly as lousy to begin with.

If they didn't try to preserve the lousyness, it would look even more inconsistent than it already was XD
That's not a reason not to improve it.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:28 am

Vino wrote:
DemonRin wrote:I hate when people call foul on Times when the Art Looks lousy in the redrawn scenes, because 9 times out of 10, it looked exactly as lousy to begin with.

Actually, in this case, it is. If you think some of the re-animated scenes stand out now, they would be even worse if they changed animation styles. Besides, the logistics would't work out too well for Toei. They've hired animators and artists to retrace scenes and replicate background art. There's no one really overseeing them right now because they're simply copying things. If they were to try to update scenes with better animation, then they'd have to hire animation and art supervisors, which I would assume costs much more than hiring simple animators. And Toei's not going to give artist license to these unsupervised animators who could easily screw something up. In the end it's just cheaper and easier for Toei to simply copy scenes and there's no getting around that fact.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:37 am

Hujio wrote:
Vino wrote:

Actually, in this case, it is. If you think some of the re-animated scenes stand out now, they would be even worse if they changed animation styles. Besides, the logistics would't work out too well for Toei. They've hired animators and artists to retrace scenes and replicate background art. There's no one really overseeing them right now because they're simply copying things. If they were to try to update scenes with better animation, then they'd have to hire animation and art supervisors, which I would assume costs much more than hiring simple animators. And Toei's not going to give artist license to these unsupervised animators who could easily screw something up. In the end it's just cheaper and easier for Toei to simply copy scenes and there's no getting around that fact.
What they do is already changing the style, those redrawn frames are done digitally, and stand out with the older animation(which was done traditionally), those animators who retrace the frames, can add up a bit of touch ups here and there. There are many examples where they could add a tiny touch up to make the whole frame better, but no, they chose to just keep it screwed up like that. If they 'redraw' frames, then they might as well do it right, and not make it look even worse with the digital method.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Vino wrote:
Hujio wrote:
Vino wrote: That's not a reason not to improve it.
What they do is already changing the style, those redrawn frames are done digitally, and stand out with the older animation(which was done traditionally), those animators who retrace the frames, can add up a bit of touch ups here and there. There are many examples where they could add a tiny touch up to make the whole frame better, but no, they chose to just keep it screwed up like that. If they 'redraw' frames, then they might as well do it right, and not make it look even worse with the digital method.
Actually, the version of the show I watch is Encoded rather nicely, and the colors always have the same vibrancy, it's MUCH harder for me to be able to point out the redrawn scenes.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:12 pm

What version are you watching?

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Vino wrote:What version are you watching?
It's a version done by Some Fansub group, It's against the rules to post their name here though.

I watch theirs because whatever the heck they do, the picture and colors are gorgeous. probably just having full 1080 Raws and someone who can encode well enough. and they do Softsubs, so I can turn off the subs and watch in Japanese because 日本語を話します.

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:40 pm

DemonRin wrote:
It's a version done by Some Fansub group, It's against the rules to post their name here though.

I watch theirs because whatever the heck they do, the picture and colors are gorgeous. probably just having full 1080 Raws and someone who can encode well enough. and they do Softsubs, so I can turn off the subs and watch in Japanese because 日本語を話します.
Could you pm me the details then?

Thanks.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:51 pm

DemonRin wrote:

Has EX hold some kind of grudge against fansub groups?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:17 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
DemonRin wrote:

Has EX hold some kind of grudge against fansub groups?
Because it takes away profit from companies like Toei... This makes some people feel "Why buy the product when you can download?"
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:21 pm

We are in America! We have right to watch fansub, for Dende's sake! Toei's in Japan. I don't care if they lose profit. All I care is to be able to watch Dragon Ball Kai online! Sure I will buy the products from Toei when I can. But are they releasing anything right now? No.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:22 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:We are in America! We have right to watch fansub, for Dende's sake! Toei's in Japan. I don't care if they lose profit. All I care is to be able to watch Dragon Ball Kai online! Sure I will buy the products from Toei when I can. But are they releasing anything right now? No.
I'm confused. I thought you were Toei? :?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:24 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:We are in America! We have right to watch fansub, for Dende's sake! Toei's in Japan. I don't care if they lose profit. All I care is to be able to watch Dragon Ball Kai online! Sure I will buy the products from Toei when I can. But are they releasing anything right now? No.
This debate as whole is stupid due to mindsets such as this.

1) It's illegal, EX would prefer to be safe and not discuss it.
2) You do not have a right to watch anything.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki